Is Sea Angling A Dying Sport?

JB

Hi Fastd

With regards to people buying their own boats I dont think this a reason for falling charter bookings as the number of private boat owners can not have increased by that much.
The new marina at Bury Port opened this year and everyone was saying they would not fill the 365 pontoon places, think again, all gone and most of the boats are small private fishing boats.

Poole Harbour Small Boat Club is growing year on year and a trip around Poole or Lymington harbours is mind boggling, makes you wonder how they fit all the boats in.

Another way anglers go today which was never on the cards years ago is the overseas fishing fortnight.

With so many choices even with growing numbers it will be thin on the ground for some.

Hi Steve

The future of sea angling depends on what happens during the next 12 months. If the first phase of the BMP proposals get implemented, and the rest of the plan is put to consultation next year, then sea angling is set to really take off as it has in other countries like America, New Zealand and Australia.

A watered down version will be regarded as a win by most anglers, we have never had s*d all before so every little bit helps.

I am sure that whatever happens sea angling will never die but I am thinking very positively about the outcome.

Being an old hippy I try to avoid negative vibes :D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The future of sea angling depends on what happens during the next 12 months.

Well said Steve.

I dont think sea angling is on its A$$ but there are some major decisions to be made over the next 12 months, and hopefully the powers that be will realise that rsa is an important economic contribution and the laws will be adjusted accordingly.

Had a spare few mins to day and googled the following phrase

"commercial fishing good for environment"

I failed to find a single document that was relevant. So i tried this..

"bass management good for the environment"

Try it and read the results...you know it makes sense. :)

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Ken,

Are you saying that because a new marina was built that 365 people went out and bought boats? ;)

I think its more realistic to say that 365 people wives said "are u gonna shift that dam boat so I can put the bin out on tuesdays!" :lol::lol:

That is certainly the case at our house when berths became available. The people who build these marinas do their market research before they invest millions. I think the days when people kept a boat on the beach and launched it with a rusty old tractor are gone. I have a mate who does exactly that and has to rebuild the tractor most days before he can launch.

We live in an on demand society and marina berths suit people who want it quick and easy. it doesn't mean there are more small boats and if there were they would be a small percentage of the numbers who fish on charter boats every weekend.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Hi Fastd

The new marina at Bury Port opened this year and everyone was saying they would not fill the 365 pontoon places, think again, all gone and most of the boats are small private fishing boats.

Poole Harbour Small Boat Club is growing year on year and a trip around Poole or Lymington harbours is mind boggling, makes you wonder how they fit all the boats in.

Another way anglers go today which was never on the cards years ago is the overseas fishing fortnight.

With so many choices even with growing numbers it will be thin on the ground for some.

Hi Steve

A watered down version will be regarded as a win by most anglers, we have never had s*d all before so every little bit helps.

I am sure that whatever happens sea angling will never die but I am thinking very positively about the outcome.

Being an old hippy I try to avoid negative vibes :D:D

Ken your a little to easily contented mate, i am amazed at your level of success as a garden centre big wheeler! whats your real secret?

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hi Ken

A watered down version will most definately be a defeat. The 45cm MLS is already a watered down version of the 55cm MLS that the BMP proposes. 45cm is seen as the minimum that is needed, and a step towards a 55cm MLS. If anything less than 45cm is adopted, the BMP fails in it's entirety because the whole idea is to get a MLS where most of the fish have spawned before being caught. 40cm or 42cm may well keep the commercial fishermen happy, but it will do absolutely nothing for sea angling. This consultation is going to be a test of the governments' mettle.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Have to admit my knowledge UK wide is very limited, but at Bury Port they have two public slipways which you can use for £35 per year or £5 per day, if you pay a visit be prepared to get in the queue. I have heard the same of Mumbles slip.

By the way it was built with public money and that is what upset local people, it is owned by Carmarthenshire County Council and my knowledge of councils when it comes to research tells me it is in short supply. Costing go out the window and it is all down to cutting ribbons and pats on the back. :rolleyes::D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Hi Ken

A watered down version will most definately be a defeat. The 45cm MLS is already a watered down version of the 55cm MLS that the BMP proposes. 45cm is seen as the minimum that is needed, and a step towards a 55cm MLS. If anything less than 45cm is adopted, the BMP fails in it's entirety because the whole idea is to get a MLS where most of the fish have spawned before being caught. 40cm or 42cm may well keep the commercial fishermen happy, but it will do absolutely nothing for sea angling. This consultation is going to be a test of the governments' mettle.

Make no bones if this dont go through we are shagged :(

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

I remember the winter 86-87 probably the best year i can remember for small codling between 1 -3lb it was thick with them you could go any night on whitby beach flat calm or a swell on and you would catch fish.

Whitby peir was shoulder to shoulder most nights and i would say 90% of those on the peir all caught cod out of all the years i have been cod fishing from the shore which is 36years my record for numbers of cod in one session was of the west peir at whitby was 41 cod in 5hours fishing that was in the 86-87 winter one every cast you were only in the water miniutes and the rod was bouncing,i actually think if you had been using 3 hook rig i now believe you would have got them 3at a time there was so many fish there at times i dont think i ever blanked that winter it was crazy fishing and weights in our local club that year saw three anglers with over 300lb of cod for the winter season that has never been repeated and i doubht it will ,when you look at the state we are in now and you know what done the most damage to bring the situation to its knees it makes your blood boil a little.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

The 45cm MLS is a must. The Isle of Man has already implemented a similar MLS and also imposed a ban on nets within 700m of the shore on the west and north coasts.

Ireland introduced a total restriction on commercial fishing for bass. They have also introduced a closed season (between March and May I think it is - someone will look it up for certain for me) AND a bag limit on landings of 2 fish per person per 24 hour period.

These may only be small measures - but measures they be and they are working. The tourist trips to Ireland for bass fishing have increased hugely - shame they can't see the sense in taking the drift nets off the coast to give the salmon a chance though. The salmon tourist angler numbers has dwindled to virtually nilbecuase of the damage the drift nets are doing. Maybe some of those salmon men are switching to bass instead.

There is huge pressure on the Irish GVT to get the drift nets off - by the EU as well as the salmon anglers. They have been threatened with prosecution by the European Court if they don't. You may wonder where this is leading - it is all fish conservation. It shows willing and that is the way forward. Other countries have long since recognised the benefits of having good fish around the coast - I think the Minister also realises it, he has visited other countries and seen how it works, including Cape Cod for the striped bass recovery. It is just a case of getting a workable draft through the other politicians and SFAs. DEFRA and the Ministry men are not used to dealing with Recreational aspects of fisheries management - but they had better get used to it because we are coming, and fast!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo