Subsidies For Commercial Fishermen - Do They Exist?

Newt

Can someone please post some hard information about this.

We have some folks who fish for a living who state they are not aware of any and certainly have never gotten any subsidy money. That is a pretty clear statement.

We have quite a few posts that speak of subsidies paid to the commercial folks but nothing specific.

I'm really confused and would love to read some specifics with maybe URL links. Do they exist or not? If yes, who is getting paid?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hello newt

As far as I'm aware there are no subsidys, there are some grants available for vairyous things like inproved safety or things to improve the quality of fish such as an ice machine for the habour users, if you can be bothered to go through the rigmarole of getting them,

they will not entertain any thing that will enharnce your fishing capabilitys ,

I fish to live and live to fish.

They certainly exist Newt. Heres one example :

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/about/ERADFF/FF...ge46092946.aspx

This weeks Fishing News (The UK Commercial Fishing newspaper) reports on improvenments to a Scarborough-ownwed trawler, the Maggie M, stating that some of the £200k of improvement work was funded by DEFRA and FIFG (a Europeon structural fund) assistance.

There are also local subsidies/grants in some areas. eg Shetland fisherman have previously been able to access funding from the Shetland charitable trust ( funded by charges on the oil industry for its Sullom Voe terminal in Shetland).

As I understand it access to these monies is extremely difficult nowadays. EU subsidies are often tied to the member state also spending some money, which the UK government is much less enthusiastic about than many others. No surprise that Wurzel, and many others will have not had any financial help; I doubt his legal team is big enough ! :)

In Scotland there has also been a package of "Transistional aid" paid to keep boats going through the worst of the cod recovery plan:

Fisheries transitional aid arrangements

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest Feels like Winter to me
Wel I can only asume all that money goes the same way as the billions the government say they spend on the national health service.

An extract from my local paper:::

"A defence of Whitby's fishermen who were fined last week for illegal fishing was made in the house of commons on wednesday by whitby's MP Robert Goodwill.

In a speach during the annual fisheries dabate, Mr Goodwill said " I must stress these fishermen are not dishonest men, They are decent men driven to dishonesty by the CFP".

PArt of the Policy resulted in fishermen in Scotland, wales and northern ireland being given cash compensation for loss of earnings brought about by cuts in thier quota - the amount of fish they are aloud to catch."

Seems you may just live in the wrong country again Wurzel. I assume cash compensation is a subsidy.

Good point you raise though Newt.

Edited by Feels like Winter to me

£6.5 million to Scottish fishing industry for 100 jobs - that is £650,000 per job created!!!

£4 milion given to a Shetland firm as a grant - that is a subsidy according to the EU court!

£245,000 given to the West Country to train members of the fishing industry how to sell their fish!!

Imagine what B.A.S.S could achieve with just 1% of that money available - the BMP has been drafted, published in proper form, put before the Ministers and all the necessary Civil Servants, introduced to the industry and anglers at a proper launch organised in a conference facility in Swindon (because it was fairly central) and then publicised thoughout the press and got as far as now being under serious consideration by DEFRA - and all that was achieved through ZERO FUNDING. It has been achieved from generous support and donations from concerned individuals and tackle shops - our stakeholders to who we are very, very grateful.

Just imagine how far the BMP could have got by now if we had received some of this funding, so as to afford professional publicists and spokespeople. With £250,000 available we could have got Max Clifford for heavens sake and the BMP would be on the statute book by now!

I think (I am not the only one) that it is high time that Recreational Sea Angling got some of this funding to represent its causes. We have a say in things because these are our fish too - therefore we deserve some of the input and ifyou take the value of the recreational industry into consideration then we should be getting an equal, if not larger, share of the available grants and subsidies. Fairs fair.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hello Fishingsfine

wurzel,

Red diesel is not diesel of poor quality just red.

Would you still claim that you 'just don't get any subsidies'?

Yes I would!

So you expect us to pay the same as motorists do at the garage, so do you expect people to pay the same for thier heating oil which is basicaly red diesel. it would not make that much differencs if we were charged the same as motorists, like the lorry owners we would claim the duty and vat back as do any company that fuel is an expence.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Can someone please post some hard information about this.

We have some folks who fish for a living who state they are not aware of any and certainly have never gotten any subsidy money. That is a pretty clear statement.

We have quite a few posts that speak of subsidies paid to the commercial folks but nothing specific.

I'm really confused and would love to read some specifics with maybe URL links. Do they exist or not? If yes, who is getting paid?

Like Wurzle said it goes to those who know how to play the game and not to those who deserve it.

Hitachi setup in South Wales with millions of grant money and rates concessions only to wind up when it suited them, it really is a joke.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest Feels like Winter to me

Quote from John and michelle.

From the early sixties onwards our government gave out grants to all fishermen, particularly fishermen on the Yorkshire coast, to build trawlers. Most of these trawlers were just under sixty feet and high-powered for their day. Then, in the eighties, they gave out grants to put bigger engines in these trawlers. What person with any business sense at all would not take advantage of this?

Perhaps not the current situation but proof non the less of more subsidies over the years.