Subsidies For Commercial Fishermen - Do They Exist?

Newt

Newt,

If you have a day or two to spare you could read the NET Benifits report, and then if you are not to far into a coma you could read the response by the prime minister. :blink:

To save you some time have a look at the section on rightsizing the fleet to get an idea as to what has been happening and what may happen in the furture.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Can someone please post some hard information about this.

We have some folks who fish for a living who state they are not aware of any and certainly have never gotten any subsidy money. That is a pretty clear statement.

We have quite a few posts that speak of subsidies paid to the commercial folks but nothing specific.

I'm really confused and would love to read some specifics with maybe URL links. Do they exist or not? If yes, who is getting paid?

In England Grants are few and far between, except in Merseyside and Cornwall. they were being administered through FIFG Financial Instruments for Fisheries Guidance (by the MFA). But this is being changed from 2007. Information on grants can be found here:

http://www.mfa.gov.uk/grants/default.htm

there is very little money left in the fund, despite uptake being relatively poor, but it is worth noting that I would have thought that the grants would have been applicable to Recreation Sea Anglers for example: Production and development of aquatic resources (e.g. artificial reefs).

These grants were limited in the percentage that they would provide to a total poroject cost (often 20%) and were mostly designed to innovate and to conserve (well that was the theory) - i.e. Cornwall Sea Fisheries Committee's lobster Hatchery. They have also been used to make more safe port facilities. A letter to the MFA requesting details under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act would clarfy all those points

The situation differs in the devolved administrations as they attract more support and investment due to dependance on fishing, but the principles of conservation and diversification underpin the grants, this principle being better established under the last review of the CFP.

The diference between grants to farmers and to fishers is vast both in scale and impact on the structure of the industry.

Aye, much better management decisions should be done this way:

Just imagine how far the BMP could have got by now if we had received some of this funding, so as to afford professional publicists and spokespeople. With £250,000 available we could have got Max Clifford for heavens sake and the BMP would be on the statute book by now!

Ain't that the truth and the worry. Effective fisheries management needs a lobby group like this in on the act like it needs a hole in the head :(

Wonder how far the scientists views would get with Max clifford et al inthe room?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• 3 months later...

Fishermen stage flotilla protest

About 100 fishermen are facing exclusion from the fishing grounds

Fishermen staged an offshore protest on the site of a new gas pipeline linking the Norfolk coast with the Netherlands.

A small flotilla of boats gathered near Bacton gas terminal to support inshore fishermen who feel the 140-mile pipeline threatens their livelihoods.

They are unhappy about the £400,000 compensation being offered for the loss of their fishing grounds.

Gasunie, which is building the pipe, said it was awaiting the results of an inquiry into negotiations.

The firm said it had no comments on Thursday's protests.

North Norfolk Shell Fishermen Association's Andy Roper said: "The company hasn't taken on board what the costs are to fishermen.

'Alleged misconduct'

"They've offered £12.84 per day. If you work that out amongst two or three fishermen on a boat it wouldn't even pay for a packed lunch.

"There really has to be some realistic figures that can support fishermen when they lose their fishing grounds."

North Norfolk MP Norman Lamb has taken up the fishermen's concerns over the pipeline company's approach to negotiations.

"I have concerns about the way the disruption payment agreement was negotiated," he said.

"And I have concerns about alleged improper conduct and I want the company to get to the bottom of this. So far I haven't had an answer."

About 100 fishermen are facing exclusion from the fishing grounds while work on the pipeline goes on.

The waters off Norfolk are regarded as some of the finest in Europe for shellfish, crabs and lobsters.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Google the following

"Atlantic Dawn" subsidy

and you'll see just how much money a man can make given a government which is truly enthusiastic about bleeding the taxpayers! (The boat might be Irish but the money came out of OUR pockets).

I've just been watching my local news.

Apparently the Single Farm Payment is late this year.

Three members of different farm lobbies were intereviewed, each said what an outrage this was.

Do fishermnen get a similar payment each year, are they "outraged" when the cheque is late"?

Edited by Captain Sensible

"I fish therefore I am"

Commercial fisherman were givern their lisences, I will explain it as I understand it, I expect Wurzel will put me right if Im not totally corect.

Fisherman A was givern his lisence by the govement in I think 1992, then say he sells his lisence to fisherman B who pays thousands for for it. Does fisherman A give his lisence money back to the govement ?(its our tax payer mony to start with after all) no its 100% profit for fisherman A.

I dont understand how the cost of a lisence is worked out but I think its based on boat size, horse power and quota.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!