That'll stop the poachers

wotnobivvy

It'll definitely stop the poachers, until the fish move in from other sections. Probably stop people reporting it as well.

Absolutely crazy :crazy::crazy:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Sounds like some clever cloggs in the council has found a way of making a few quid....make up some cock 'n bull story...remove the fish and sell 'em. Nice little earner / backhanders out of it for some no doubt !

The fish were removed because other users of the canal (dog walkers mostly) were complaining about anglers fishing when they weren't allowed to.

The fish won't move back in from other sections because it is a disused canal which isn't all joined up.

It's this canal;

http://goo.gl/maps/CRw83

I have often looked at it when passing and thought that I would like to fish it, the first I heard about what was actually in there was when I heard that it had been de-fished.

My personal view is that I don't understand why fishing was not allowed in the first place and I object to my licence fee being spent on deliberately destroying the fishing in a public place.

All that puts a different slant on the situation, but like you, I believe the owners, (if they didn't), should pay for the removal of the stock. Leasing it to a club could have helped deal with the problem.

This from the Swindon paper sounds confusing

“Bella saw some bread on the ground and rushed to eat it as dogs do but attached to it was a hook and reel.”Douglas’ flatmate, Miroslav Pesek, 28, cut the reel, which was still connected to a fishing rod but by this point Bella had still managed to swallow much of the wire.

Isn't it connected to a small stream Steve, the river Rey? That runs into a large lake. It's not easy to tell from the map.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Just because a dog grabbs someones baited hook that's no reason to empty a water of fish. The dog owner should be aware of what his dog is doing, these type of accidents are happening all the time....just life. I wouldn't dream of letting my dog mooch about near anglers or even where they've been fishing.

• Like 1

Its not very clear if the EA had any hand in the removal or the decision to remove the fish, but after reading that I would "urge all those who value the future of angling" not to report anything to their council or the EA.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I don't believe there is any direct connection to the Ray or any of the small waters in the area, John - but it's one of those disused canals which has been largely built over and only exists in random disconnected chunks.

I believe the fish removed have been moved to other council owned waters, of which I suspect absolutely none actually needed more fish dumping in them.

Edited by Steve Walker
  • Like 1

I don't believe there is any direct connection to the Ray or any of the small waters in the area, John - but it's one of those disused canals which has been largely built over and only exists in random disconnected chunks.

I believe the fish removed have been moved to other council owned waters, of which I suspect absolutely none actually needed more fish dumping in them.

Yeah, exaclty...and I wouldn't be surprised if some have been donated for free (yeah right) to a private fishery or three lol.

• Like 2