fox soft steel

rooney888

It seems to me that some of you guys do not know how to load your fixed spool reels from the makers spools. That is why you get springs immediately after loading.

After using a freespool reel a few times and then retrieving twists will build up. Try using a spin doctor every 20 casts or so.

Here is one source of the spin doctor.

Untwist.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi lilypad

Was thinking the same as you about winding line on to spools the correct way, but didn't like to mention that on my first visit to the forum for risk of insulting people, but your right, line must be wound on the correct way and I always put the spool of new line in warm water(warm not hot) when winding on.

As I mentioned, the sensor performed brilliantly and without any twist etc all last year in various conditions/distances and size fish.

Have been out today with the 2 new 10k's and soft steel loaded and no problems so far, seamed nice and smooth and good for casting distance and one in the margin, also my 2 step son's and their father have been using soft steel for ages and they have been carpin for 20+ years and none of them have had any problems with it.

Tight lines

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys

I have been using Sensor all last year and it's been brilliant, but after getting 2 new 10K'S for Christmas, I have just spooled them up with Fox Soft Steel to give it a try, will be out on the bank in the morning with them for the first time.

But after reading this, have I made a mistake in the choice of line? but at least you get a spare spool with 10K'S and I have some spare sensor left, so will see how it goes.

Tight lines

Trevor

fox soft steel or fox soft sh :yucky: t sensor is a lot better at half the cost

Different lines have different qualities. Depends if you want high BS in relation to diameter, high abrasion resistance, tolerance of favourite knot(s), low memory, floating/sinking qualities or suppleness. Doubtless there are other characteristics people might want, but they are the main ones - coupled with reliability, of course. Unfortunately, no line embodies all the aforementioned qualities - it's necessary to establish one's priorities and choose accordingly. What is very important, though, is to conduct bench-tests rather than rely on manufacturers'/distributors' designations. Worth knowing, too, that the same lines are sold under different labels - I've known instances where anglers have condemned one label while praising another, without realising that the lines were identical! Batches vary, too. I've even known situations where a line has changed completely due to the manufacturer altering the "recipe". As I said, it's important to conduct one's own tests - I test every bulk spool I buy before using it. And there's no universal "best line" - the old cliche "horses for courses" applies.

Worth knowing, too, that the same lines are sold under different labels - I've known instances where anglers have condemned one label while praising another, without realising that the lines were identical

How very true Jim!!!!

I remember buying a £4.00 bulk spool of line from a tackle shop after a friend recommended it. This stuff was incredible and we thought it was a lot like Big Game. I had to have a trip to terry Eustaces so took a length of this cheap stuff up and asked him what line it was. After measuring it and doing an abrasion test it was declared to be none other than Big Game. :blink: Saved a fortune for years buying the cheap stuff and it never let me down.

{2008 Edior's Note: to view Soft Steel for sale, please click here}

wolf.gif