A sign of the times

gozzer

Throw more fish in so you can make the pegs closer together and cram more paying 'guests' onto the lake and still let them catch loads of fish so they have a 'pukka' day and come back soon.

Everyone's a winner!

Especially those of us sat by a peaceful river, catching or not, miles from any beer swilling Danny fairbrass wannabes, just enjoying nature

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Everyone's a winner!

Especially those of us sat by a peaceful river, catching or not, miles from any beer swilling Danny fairbrass wannabes, just enjoying nature

Agreed, but enjoy it while you can, 'cos sooner or later angling clubs are going to cotton on to the fact they pay good money for river fishing which very few of their members use.............

...and unless the riparian owner gets a worthwhile rent, he may decide it is better to ban fishing altogether - ie it leaves him with no responsibilities, no insurance risk, no litter, etc etc.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Agreed, but enjoy it while you can, 'cos sooner or later angling clubs are going to cotton on to the fact they pay good money for river fishing which very few of their members use.............

...and unless the riparian owner gets a worthwhile rent, he may decide it is better to ban fishing altogether - ie it leaves him with no responsibilities, no insurance risk, no litter, etc etc.

True Dave, but I wonder if it will go back to the 'old days' when you either joined a large association, or sought permission to fish personally, through contact with the owners. We had many a mile of free fishing, just for the asking. We also became freinds with the families, helping them when needed, and in one case tutoring their young son, and bringing him essentials like hooks, line and floats. A picture of him in a local paper holding a near 6lb chub, and the excitment with which he told us about it when next we met, will stay with me for ever.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

gozzer,

The problem with the "old days" is just that - they are long gone. Many if not most do not even know their neighbors in the 21st century. You're being unrealistic with such a pipe dream.

In all things - IMO - any object or activity that takes a meteoric rise in popularity also takes a similar bounce back down. When it settles to "reasonableness" who knows the outcome. The number of bank fishermen in the US continues to decline yet the number of anglers (and the money they spend) continues to rise.

The only thing you can be certain of is that "free" will continue to slide.

Phone

This 'fill em up and make the anglers happy' approach, makes me mad.

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/News--Catches/General-News/Catches-set-to-soar/

John.

Yeah,why bother with watercraft or any sort of skills. just stuff a pond with fish and chuck hooks at them. The term 'fish in a barrel' springs to mind. I know we all hate to blank but it's part of the game. On the upside more space on the river banks for the rest of us. :fish:

Don't be afraid to experiment, It just might work!

True Dave, but I wonder if it will go back to the 'old days' when you either joined a large association, or sought permission to fish personally, through contact with the owners. We had many a mile of free fishing, just for the asking. We also became freinds with the families, helping them when needed, and in one case tutoring their young son, and bringing him essentials like hooks, line and floats. A picture of him in a local paper holding a near 6lb chub, and the excitment with which he told us about it when next we met, will stay with me for ever.

John.

Yes John, I still retain one or two links like that, and could relate similar tales to yours (two Earl's sons were among my tutees in return for fishing his lakes) but many of my farmer/landowner friends have now died, and several of the farms concerned are now part of a consortium, with "jobsworth" farm managers in local charge - "no fishing" is becoming the norm if a lessee can't be found, and most of the streams are tiny, and the fishing is "commando-trouting" style, in which few are interested - so it is simpler to ban fishing altogether.

I now have access to about 15% of the trout waters I used to fish as a teenager, but to be fair, I now spend far less than 15 % of the time after trout that I used to spend 60 years ago !

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I have an intense dislike for overstocked " puddles " in the ground venue's.

Featureless holes dug in the ground. Best thing about commies are the bogs and cafe's

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”