They're all at it!

Guest stevie cop

Guest stevie cop

The Conservative Party Fisheries Consultation and Recreational Angling

Wednesday 06th April 2005

AFTER one year’s travel and study, in January 2005 I published a Conservative Party Green Paper entitled Consultation on a National Policy on Fisheries Management in UK Waters. This is available on the Conservative Party Website www.conservatives.com

Our belief is that the CFP is a biological, environmental, economic and social disaster. We intend to return management of our marine environment to National and Local Control. We believe that all those who use the marine environment for commercial gain or private pleasure should be involved in managing our seas. Under the CFP, there is no mechanism for the interests of those involved in recreational angling or tourism to be represented in management decisions. We clearly declare in our Statement of Objectives:

“Our policy is to manage the sea fisheries in UK waters in such a manner as to safeguard the natural environment; to rebuild and preserve our fish stocks and marine wildlife; to maximise the economic value of exploitable stocks, both in the short and the long term, commensurate with the natural resource available and the environmental impact of so doing; to create a stable, equitable framework within which the fishing and allied industries can operate, including the recreational fishing sector and tourism; generally to protect the interests of the United Kingdom.”

The potential of recreational angling in the UK, if managed properly, is enormous. In the USA there are 17 million participants making 65 million fishing trips, with a turnover of $30 billion and over $22 billion in related expenditures. Having seen how this sector has increased in the States I am determined to learn the lessons of modern management which make this possible. I believe that our Green Paper addresses this.

The section devoted to recreational angling in the Green Paper reads as follows:

“We fully recognise the economic and social values of this activity. There are one million recreational fishermen who generate £1 billion-worth of economic activity. We will require that full provision must be made to accommodate this sector where it can be demonstrated that it has significant economic value in any specific fishery. To that effect, we will require that FMAs take full account in their plans of the needs of recreational fishing, limiting commercial fishing activity if necessary, to ensure that those needs are met.

We have taken considerable soundings from recreational fishing interests and on the basis of what we have been told, would introduce provisions for introducing local licensing schemes, with charges imposed for rod licences. Charges would be used to cover administration costs for increased enforcement activity to ensure that their interests were properly safeguarded.

Where necessary for the proper management of fish stocks, we would introduce mandatory registration, in order that fishermen may be identified and contacted where necessary, in order to establish related fishing mortality. Where pressure stocks are involved, we would authorise FMAs to impose “catch and release” schemes, to reduce fishing mortality. In some countries where recreational fishermen are highly regulated, they are not permitted to sell their catches. We would welcome views on whether this should apply to the UK.”

Fisheries Management Authorities

A Conservative government would pass a “framework law” setting out the broad objectives of marine policy and in particular the requirement to protect and increase the biomass of designated species. The task of implementing these broad national targets would be devolved to new Fisheries Management Authorities who would have the responsibility for drawing up multi-annual marine plans in their areas to put the policy into effect. The law will set out their structures, their duties, and the manner in which they should operate.

While these are based on similar areas to the current Sea Fisheries Committees, we recognise the failings of existing arrangements and have actually developed entirely new structures, to ensure they overcome the problems currently experienced.

The Authorities will be run by a Board, made up of a small group of professional managers, headed by a Chief Executive Officer.

To assist the Board, each Authority will have a Council, made up from representative groups, covering all the issues relevant to marine management. That will include representatives of commercial fishermen, sea anglers, recreational users, tourist groups, environmental groups and all others who declare a valid interest.

The Board will be under a statutory obligation to ensure that the membership of the Councils properly represent the wide range of interests and will also be under a statutory obligation to consult the Council and to take note of its views.

We would require each Board to prepare a draft proposal and submit this to the Council for consideration. We would also require it to be published widely, not only by conventional means but also on the internet, where provision should be made for inviting comments from “out of area” interest groups.

We would also require the Council to hold public meetings, where interest groups will have a right to express their views. Again, we will require the Board to take full account of those views.

The plan may then be amended but in any event, it is then submitted to the Fisheries Minister for approval. At that point, any person or interest group may make representations to the minister about the plan, which shall also be published, and the Minister shall be required to take them into account.

The next stage is that the Minister will either approve the plan, with or without amendments, or reject it, referring it back to the Authority for revision. There will also be provision for a public inquiry, where an Authority has been unable to resolve contentious issues, with opportunities for all interest groups to give evidence.

Conclusion

I am absolutely determined that the huge potential of the recreational sector should be realised and that it should be deeply involved in the management of fisheries where recreational anglers is significant. I would stress that this is a consultation paper and I look forward to hearing further constructive criticism.

Owen Paterson MP

Shadow Fisheries Minister

11th March 2005

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He travelled and studied for a year to produce that!!!!

I'm in the wrong job

Anyone would think that there is an election coming up!

I have always thought that the fact that someone wants to be a politician should automatically ban them from ever becoming one. They should be conscripts, like National Service

Regards

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Re-arrange these words into a coherent sentence -

all to jump they're on trying bandwagon the.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

We will require that full provision must be made to accommodate this sector where it can be demonstrated that it has significant economic value in any specific fishery

I don't like that bit at all, a gang of jokers telling you that because that particular area has no economic value it is open to rape and pillage by all and sundry

The Authorities will be run by a board, made up of a small group of proffessional managers, headed by a Chief Executive Officer. .

Few more jobs worth idiots, probably lawyers and accountants. (Sorry Jaybee)

To assist the Board, each Authority will have a council, made up from representative groups, covering all the issues relevant to marine management. That will include representatives of commercial fishermen, sea anglers, recreational users, tourist groups, environmental groups and all others who declare a valid interest.

And uncle John Cobbley and all.

What a hash up, none starter for me.

[ 08. April 2005, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Ken Davison South Wales ]

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest stevie cop

It isn't that different from labours proposals if you look at it closely! Just written in a different language by a different animal.

Steve I think it is very different! the beaurocracy that they are suggesting will prevent anything from happening, deliberately! Also going it alone would be useless, returning control of our waters might sound good but will be of no benefit if another country decides to do something different. The french pair trawlers could still decimate the bass stocks.

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Dan,

The clincher for the Bass Management plan is that recent tagging shows that bass are now increasingly spawning and remaining inshore, and only 20% of 'our' inshore spawning bass are now being taken in the international fishery, meaning that 80% of any benefit from conservation effort within 'our' waters accrues to British fishermen (anglers and 'commercials').

The biggest danger is now from inshore netting, especially by unlicensed fishermen, which is why Bradshaw/DEFRA are looking at restrictions on inshore netting.

Implementation of the BMP within the UK also increases pressure on Ireland to properly enforce its Bass Protection Order(Ireland has done well out of recreational sea anglers going there for big bass whilst most of ours disappear at 36cm), on Guernsey to protect it's spawning shoals, and on France where bass anglers are clamouring for protection for the species.

The more widely protected bass are, the more and bigger fish we are likely to encounter as anglers, and the licensed inshore commercials should do very well out of it too.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 08. April 2005, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust