They're all at it!

Guest stevie cop

Leon Roskilly:

Dan,

The clincher for the Bass Management plan is that recent tagging shows that bass are now increasingly spawning and remaining inshore, and only 20% of 'our' inshore spawning bass are now being taken in the international fishery, meaning that 80% of any benefit from conservation effort within 'our' waters accrues to British fishermen (anglers and 'commercials').

:cool: 8 years on and still looking. :D

The biggest danger is now from inshore netting, especially by unlicensed fishermen, which is why Bradshaw/DEFRA are looking at restrictions on inshore netting.

Tight Lines - leon

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get a chance have a read of The Longshoreman by Richard Shelton, its an auto biography and great read and explains some of the misteries of fish conservation. While I dont know if its the case with bass with some species, the offshore spawned fry sustain the inshore fisheries because they have a better survival rate than their inshore cousins. This is due to less competion, more food etc. Again I have no categoric evidence but The bass dont hang around where I fish all year round, least not in big numbers, still here's hoping and any effort to improve stocks is welcome. Lets not forget that if there is no food left for the bass, be it mackeral/sprats or sand eels then these efforts will be wasted. Bass sit in the food chain and could be vulnerable to depletions in other fish stocks.

Dan

[ 08. April 2005, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Dan ]

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

I wonder what the BNP Parties line on the bass management plan is.

Maybe they only want to protect english bass and not migratory bass.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

What about the green party, possably it would be to leave all bass in peace, well how would we know bass excist without fishing for them...

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

How about the liberals, well maybe they are so wet that the commercials will be targeting them next...

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

'wonder what the BNP Parties line on the bass management plan is.

Maybe they only want to protect english bass and not migratory bass.'

Any fish that appears to have reached England from foreign waters will be removed from the water and repatriated asap.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

sam-cox:

How about the liberals, well maybe they are so wet that the commercials will be targeting them next...

Down in the South West, the Liberal party have been very active in promoting bass conservation, particularly Andrew George and Brian Cotter.

There has been quite a bit of coverage in Western Morning News and on local radio of their support for bass angling, and the importance of RSA to the local economy down there, and long before any election was on the horizon.

And it was Robert Key (Conservative) who initiated a parliamentary debate on Recreational Sea Angling, not long after Ben Bradshaw became the fisheries minister. It was having to answer questions about RSA that probably first bought angling to the attention of BB, certainly caused him to do some research.

And it's been letters from anglers, to their MPs etc that has stirred the pot, that has resulted in growing political interest in RSA and ultimate recognition.

So, well done all who have bothered. :)

Keep it up!

Tight Lines - leon

[ 09. April 2005, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

yes that may be Leon but they will never get in govement so to vote for them would be a wast...

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Like Leon said, a lot of talk gets us nowhere, I have stopped my MP in the street and raised issues with him.

I emailed him a while back and have again emailed him today pointing out that, whilst not perfect the info sent to me by SACN indicates that the other side are 'promising more'

As noted on the other threads, promises are sometimes empty. But as confuscious said "A journey of a million miles starts with but a single step"

next time you log on to AN, take the trouble to google search your MP's email address.

I would suggest you outline your Political Support and either thank him if he is a Labour MP, at the same time pointing out that more action would equate to more votes and, in the alternate if your MP is amongst the other parties point out that Labour are doing more (if you agree that is)

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Leon Roskilly:

"And it was Robert Key (Conservative) who initiated a parliamentary debate on Recreational Sea Angling, not long after Ben Bradshaw became the fisheries minister. It was having to answer questions about RSA that probably first bought angling to the attention of BB, certainly caused him to do some research."

And what it proves is that we managed to make ourselves heard, on investigation MP's realised the potential that we represent.

Unfortunately the documents being noted as an 'Eleventh Hour' promise, in my opinion is too late. After the election we will have 5 years of whatever government, who will worry about lots of other issues and we will be sidetracked once more.

Remember that an election promise can be kept, or might be kept, but all either party has to do is 'begin implementation' of their promises in the 4 years and 11 months post election and they pass the buck.

Labour have failed us totally, it has been known for years that action needed NOW, they have had two terms to pull their fingers out and the day before Parliment closes they give us all what amounts to a gift token from a market vendor. If you can redeem it you will be fecking lucky

[ 09. April 2005, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Huge_Vitae ]

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."