Leisure Fishing in Whitby - As important to the towns economyas commercial fishing.

Guest @Winter@

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one for you.

In an Article in todays gazette, which I think was about the toilet closures on church street, I read this nice little peice.

"Leisure Fishing in Whitby is as important to the towns economy as commercial fishing but fails to get the support it needs from the local council"

"A sea anglers spokesman said they bring about 2 million a year into the local economy and sustain about 20 jobs."

"Local MP Robert Goodwill said " I agree that the angling business contributes to the local economy"

At long last we got a bit of recognition. I wonder if the spokesman included shore anglers in his/her statement. Are the 20 jobs for the towns new work force from Bellarussia ????

I would have thought that such a statment would apply to many towns around the coast and some of those a few miles in land. It all ads up, but them at the top 'wont see' :( ho hum :blink: Almost full circle realy. Its like banging ones head against a brick wall. :unsure:

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

Thank you and Happy new Year to you all....I want to buy my loved one a trip from Whitby...I have heard they are a number of Boats which do charters....he as been on the the long trips from the Humber Boats and liked.... the problem is that he lost the lower part of his leg in the Falklands ...so he needs something stable and accesible...any ideas as I keep look at the Fishing Mags....we stayed at Bagdale when we came up and noticed the large black and red boat at the quay I think...any help.

Guest @Winter@

Hi Walcott, may I say what a pleasure it is to Welcome you to anglers net. You will be very surprised to learn that the skipper of the boat you mention is believe it or not a very active member of this very forum. I think the boat you mean is called chieftains chahrteris. Im pretty certain he will read of your question and be on hand to offer you some great advive about the long trips available from the port of Whitby. As you are asking for help from the forum I hope you dont mind if I offer you my thoughts on the current charter boat situation. To the best of my Knowledge there is now only 1 boat operating long trips from the port, infact its the very boat you mention. I am reliably informed that the boat does have disabled access and can even lift wheelchairs aboard using a small crane. I understand most of the fishing is done on Whitby's offshore grounds which take a long time to steam to on this relatively slow boat (relative in comparison to some of the towns faster boats). Conversley on the other side of the harbour there are what are called the "high speed" charter boats which you can charter at a fraction of the cost. But that imho does not mean you get a fraction of the quality, Infact the Ports record cod which is also the countries record was actually landed on one of these very boats. If I was to recommend 1 boat in particuler to you it would be SEA OTTER 2 whose skipper is also a member of this forum. The skipper himself is actually an avid angler(infact 1 of the best boat anglers around) and therefore I would be pretty certain you would be dealing with a guy who fully understands how to catch fish in the north sea today. I am aware that many members of this forum have taken a trip on sea otter 2 and im certain they will be able to tell you thier thoughts on the boat. Only earlier today infact I was doing a search of the internet forums when I found this endorsement of the boat and skipper http://ycsa.proboards45.com/index.cgi?boar...read=1123703192 . I'm Pretty certain that the fast boats do now also have disabled access and I think have purchased some form of ramp for wheelchair access.

Ok sorry about such a long winded reply WALCOTT but I guess if somethings worth doing its worth doing right. What I have said of course is only my opinion and im sure your as aware as I am of what is said of opinions. Anyway thats my 10 penarth worth I just hope everyone respects that and feels free to add thier own opinions. Hope you enjoy your time on the forum Walcott and I hope your beloved enjoys his day or days sea fishing from our lovely town. . May I also take this opportunity to wish u a happy new year.

oops sorry to say this . As you can see the thread was really about the value of recreational angling to the local economy of Whitby, and I hope you dont think me rude but I really hope this thread continues in that particuler direction for the time being. Perhaps if you were to start a new thread entitled something like - In search of a large black and red boat you would get lots of help from the regulers on this forum.

Edited by @Winter@

Hi Walcott, may I say what a pleasure it is to Welcome you to anglers net. You will be very surprised to learn that the skipper of the boat you mention is believe it or not a very active member of this very forum. Im pretty certain he will read of your question and be on hand to offer you some great advive about the long trips available from the port of Whitby. As you are asking for help from the forum I hope you dont mind if I offer you my thoughts on the current charter boat situation. To the best of my Knowledge there is now only 1 boat operating long trips from the port, infact its the very boat you mention. I am reliably informed that the boat does have disabled access and can even lift wheelchairs aboard using a small crane. I understand most of the fishing is done on Whitby's offshore grounds which take a long time to steam to on this relatively slow boat (relative in comparison to some of the towns faster boats). Conversley on the other side of the harbour there are what are called the "high speed" charter boats which you can charter at a fraction of the cost. But that imho does not mean you get a fraction of the quality, Infact the Ports record cod which is also the countries record was actually landed on one of these very boats. If I was to recommend 1 boat in particuler to you it would be SEA OTTER 2 whose skipper is also a member of this forum. The skipper himself is actually an avid angler(infact 1 of the best boat anglers around) and therefore I would be pretty certain you would be dealing with a guy who fully understands how to catch fish in the north sea today. I am aware that many members of this forum have taken a trip on sea otter 2 and im certain they will be able to tell you thier thoughts on the boat. Only earlier today infact I was doing a search of the internet forums when I found this endorsement of the boat and skipper http://ycsa.proboards45.com/index.cgi?boar...read=1123703192 . I'm Pretty certain that the fast boats do now also have disabled access and I think have purchased some form of ramp for wheelchair access.

Ok sorry about such a long winded reply WALCOTT but I guess if somethings worth doing its worth doing right. What I have said of course is only my opinion and im sure your as aware as I am of what is said of opinions. Anyway thats my 10 penarth worth I just hope everyone respects that and feels free to add thier own opinions. Hope you enjoy your time on the forum Walcott and I hope your beloved enjoys his day or days sea fishing from our lovely town. . May I also take this opportunity to wish u a happy new year.

oops sorry to say this . As you can see the thread was really about the value of recreational angling to the local economy of Whitby, and I hope you dont think me rude but I really hope this thread continues in that particuler direction for the time being. Perhaps if you were to start a new thread entitled something like - In search of a large black and red boat you would get lots of help from the regulers on this forum.

Oh well maybe things arent so rosy in the world of recreational fishing if someone has to go to all that ****** to promote a mate charter boat.

The lady said her loved one likes the long trips on the big boat.

Guest binatone
Thank you and Happy new Year to you all....I want to buy my loved one a trip from Whitby...I have heard they are a number of Boats which do charters....he as been on the the long trips from the Humber Boats and liked.... the problem is that he lost the lower part of his leg in the Falklands ...so he needs something stable and accesible...any ideas as I keep look at the Fishing Mags....we stayed at Bagdale when we came up and noticed the large black and red boat at the quay I think...any help.

Hello and welcome to this forum Mrs WALCOTT.

I have a good friend who goes fishing on the chieftain. He is paralyzed from the waste down and therefore is in a wheelchair, I have known this man for quite a few years now and have learned a lot on the problems that he has with his disability.

He told me that the longest trip he did with this boat was 94 hour trip, he said that he had no problems getting on board, getting a shower, using the toilet, or getting a good nights sleep. But then again Andrew is a very determined disabled fisherman.

I have never been fishing on this boat but if you would like the disabled anglers’ phone number then I am sure he would be delighted to tell you about his experiences on the longest of trips. (Just pm me and I will get you in touch with him) going to sea with a disability must be at times a daunting task? I admire your husband and can only say that I hope that you find what you are looking for.

I cannot see any problem with you using the boats from Whitby as they have a very good pontoon over on the east side that allows you good access regardless of your ability.

Why my friend goes through the trouble of being lifted aboard by a crane when there are easier boats for him to get access to is something that I think you should ask him.

If your husband managed ok with his long trips from the Humber, then I don’t think that he would have any problems with the day trips from Whitby, or longer trips come to that.

Hope that can be of some assistance.

Good luck to you and your husbands fishing in the future and complements of the season.

Guest binatone

Back to the original topic.

I can believe these figures; angling has always made a good contribution to Whitby’s economy.

If it makes anywhere as much of a contribution as it did say twenty years ago is debateable? I would have thought that it has declined as much as the commercial contribution has.

The one part of the tourist side of things that has increased massively over the last few years is the pleasure trips to sea.

I was talking to one skipper of one of these boats and he said that he alone had taken 60000 passengers on his boat alone in 2005.

So what part do these boats make in contribution to the local economy?

There is no doubt that angling plays a big part in Whitbys local economy, however in order to take on the council who I believe are prepared to steer a different coarse to Scarbrough in order to protect interests there, you need to find out who issued the statement regarding £2m and how those figures were arrived at or whether they are just guesstimates from the individual concerned.

From an outsiders observation on how both commercial and recreational sectors have shrunk it seems to me that the local council seem to prefer the "yatchy" type people and all that brings , with nice lines of shiny boats that dont move in preference to local opinion , recent events over the redevelopment of the old ship yards and proposed water side developments seem to bear this out