Leisure Fishing in Whitby - As important to the towns economyas commercial fishing.

Guest @Winter@

Binitone we not saying that there should ne no fishing industry these are your words and nobody elses like we have discust previous and keep saying some sort of conservation measures like herring spawning time there needs to be a closure during that period.

As for angling boats not catching cod during herring spawn time we dont get many as they are gorging themselves on the little orange eggs but you should know that you everything else.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

come on now binatone.for one is it free parking in whitby.2 does no one stay overnight.3 all anglers are teetotal :lol: 4 and dont eat anything.5 petrol for the journey home.6 charter boat fees.

maybe no body is making a living but it all helps to bring a bit of money into places.

What is the value of locally caught fish and chips to the economy?

I have asked a few fish processors and they have said that they cannot fill the demand that they get for locally caught fish.

Nearly every fish shop or restaurant in Whitby and the surrounding area, advertises local fish for sale.

What do the majority of people eat when they come to these parts? And how happy do you think they would be with the local tourist industry if they where to be told that there is no longer to be any local fish and chips because we have decided to do away with the traditional fishing industry so that anglers have more chance to catch a fish.

The only people that make a good living from recreational angling from Whitby are the owners of the two angling shops that are open all year round.

binatone, i am sure whitby fish and chip shops would buy their cod from other sustainable sources like norway etc, just like my local seaside fish and chip shops do here, i wonder if they are lying in sussex when they advertise it as localy caught on their boards :blink: no matter it tastes the same to the holiday makers, trust me they dont give a toss mate...........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest @Winter@

How local is the fish in your fish and chip shop. Im reliably informed from the boys in the fish processing factories that the majority of fish sold in Whitby fish and chip shops is from the faroes.

I don't believe it. Too many 0s. What's the name on that boat again, Queen Elizabeth II? :unsure:

If this claim is regarding the vessel that I think it is, this is not an unreasonable claim as the boat is licensed to carry 130 passengers and mainly does half-hour trips.

The sightseeing-trips-to-sea sector of the leisure industry in Whitby has flourished in recent times; but then tourism in general also seems to be ‘on the up’ in Whitby. However, the reverse is true of the charter angling sector. It is all down to supply-and-demand. The trips-to-sea sector has five licensed vessels and thousands of potential customers each day. Conversely, the charter angling sector has fifteen licensed vessels and an average demand only into double figures per day. The fact is there are too many vessels chasing too few customers. In ‘normal’ business, this is a problem that would rectify itself with the ‘survival of the fittest’ principle. But charter angling in Whitby, in most cases, is not run as a business motivated by profit. It is more of a ‘lifestyle business’ which allows the skipper to have a good life pursuing his hobby/sport, while covering his costs, and hopefully making a modest profit. This is a nice way to live if you are semi-retired, or have supplementary income or other main employment or business interests.

Getting back to the title of this thread: ‘Leisure Fishing in Whitby - As important to the towns economy as commercial fishing.’ Charter boat fishing alone does not play a big part in the town’s economy. (The gross turnover of fifteen charter vessels is probably very similar to that of one trawler.) Therefore, it would not be any major financial loss to itself or the town if it ceased to exist. Nevertheless, for other Whitby businesses, the knock-on effect of the few extra people that angling brings into the town might help put a little extra jam on their bread and butter.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

Well, if that's the problem there is a cure, grow the market! More and bigger fish mean more anglers/customers. Support the bass management plan; go for more cod next.

When the commercial sector is in need of more customers and higher prices on their fish products then tax payers money are spent on fish marketing campaigns.

Just exactly how will supporting the BMP bring more anglers into Whitby and ports like it?

There are NO boats targetting sport fishing for bass so what advantages are there for them?

The Sea Fish Industry's advertising campaign for sea fish was paid for by the commercial fishermen themselves through the levy imposed on every box of fish sold, NOT through the general taxation system

Guest binatone
Well, if that's the problem there is a cure, grow the market! More and bigger fish mean more anglers/customers. Support the bass management plan; go for more cod next.

When the commercial sector is in need of more customers and higher prices on their fish products then tax payers money are spent on fish marketing campaigns. Why not copy that scheme and spend some on developing angling and charter boating?

Very good point fishing’s fine, but how can you market a product when you don’t have any figures to back up not only your claims but the claims of others in your market place (excuse the pun) for gods sake someone out there must know what an average commercial angling boat catches in a year?

If this claim is regarding the vessel that I think it is, this is not an unreasonable claim as the boat is licensed to carry 130 passengers and mainly does half-hour trips. .

Getting back to the title of this thread: ‘Leisure Fishing in Whitby - As important to the towns economy as commercial fishing.’ Charter boat fishing alone does not play a big part in the town’s economy. (The gross turnover of fifteen charter vessels is probably very similar to that of one trawler.) Therefore, it would not be any major financial loss to itself or the town if it ceased to exist. Nevertheless, for other Whitby businesses, the knock-on effect of the few extra people that angling brings into the town might help put a little extra jam on their bread and butter.

JB

John i think you will find 18 charterboats that are licenced to take pasengers to sea not 15.

The point of the the loss of the charterfleet to the towns economy would be into millions of pounds overall ,if one group of lads (12) a full party stay in the george hotel for instance one night they could spend upto £1500 in there stay in whitby ,charter , hotel,BEER, food, tackle come on john i think your figures are well out , buissness have pledged over £3000 in sponsership this year for the angling festivals thats in cash so things cant be that bad regarding anglers staying in the town ,what does a trawler gross £300,000 around that figure i would imagine not a lot more these days.

Ask mike at the fleece and i know what his anser would be regarding the loss of the charterboats , and he is one of many.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg