cooking em

Guest Alan Taylor

Guest Alan Taylor

Hi guys and gals,

OK, you had a good day sea fishing and have pollack, ling, dogs, cod, pout, mackeral etc.

Now my question is do you have any good tips on cooking the bloody things.

For example, pollock are realy greasy when you fillet them but if you soak them in salt water (domestic salt) overnight the grease goes away leaving a nice white meat.

Conger, lovely fish cakes and fish pie.

Mackrell, oh what a curry from a couple of fillets.

Dog fish, easy to skin if you know how and do it before the fish dries out, ie on the boat. Dogfish includes lesser spotted, spur bull huss etc.

Gurnard, red or tub, lovely grub, taste like chicken when baked.

Sea bream, baked in the oven in milk and butter.

Do you have any good cooking tips that you would share with a fish lover please?

Or do you have any problems with cooking em?

I would like to hear from you and your friends.

alan (nl)

Guest waterman1013

Alan

With thornback ray we always hung them on ropes over the stern for the return to harbour. This started to wash the mucus out of the body. They would then be hung overnight, in the garage over absorbent paper, and stripped of their skins the next day or the day after, when they had ripened. They develop their flavour in that way and are much easier to skin.

The best way to cook mackeral is to unhook them, gut them and put them straight into the pan. The fresher the better for me. Posted Image

Mike

Guest Alan Taylor

Originally posted by waterman1013:

Alan

With thornback ray we always hung them on ropes over the stern for the return to harbour.  This started to wash the mucus out of the body.  They would then be hung overnight, in the garage over absorbent paper, and stripped of their skins the next day or the day after, when they had ripened.  They develop their flavour in that way and are much easier to skin.

The best way to cook mackeral is to unhook them, gut them and put them straight into the pan.  The fresher the better for me.   Posted Image

Mike

Hi Mike,

we used to wrap mackeral in silver paper and put them on the engine manifold of the car.

Half an hour later they were cooked and the smell in the car told you so. Lovely grub.

Bon appatiet.

Alan(nl)