• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#11 Paul Boote

Paul Boote

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:46 PM

Good first post Paul but you lost me on the second one.

You clearly haven't dined with (and, on a few occasions, had fish with you - in Argentina) extremely well-to-do Brits who without irony could speak a line like: "The Kiwi trouting is doubtless very fine, but is horribly public." Verbatim quote from a man I once knew who had fished the world many times over.
"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

#12 jeepster

jeepster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,328 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, cooking, fishing and cooking. Oh and a bit of boozing too.

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:08 PM

fished the falklands once, now there's somewhere i'd go back to like a shot....

#13 Paul Boote

Paul Boote

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:05 PM

And when the Americans hit the IMAX screens with this 3D megabucks international feature...

http://www.flyfisher....com/about.html

I tell you, guys, we are lucky to be fishing for stuff the smart set don't want.
"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

#14 Sewinman

Sewinman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:26 AM

And when the Americans hit the IMAX screens with this 3D megabucks international feature...

http://www.flyfisher....com/about.html

I tell you, guys, we are lucky to be fishing for stuff the smart set don't want.

I wonder where they will be fishing. I will be tempted to watch it though!

Re - the Falklands. I looked at there for sea trout but was put off by the 2k flight cost on an RAF Hercules - the only direct flight. Were you in the army?

#15 Paul Boote

Paul Boote

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:09 AM

I wonder where they will be fishing. I will be tempted to watch it though!

Re - the Falklands. I looked at there for sea trout but was put off by the 2k flight cost on an RAF Hercules - the only direct flight. Were you in the army?

The Falklands sea-trouting, even at its best, doesn't come within a whisker of the South American mainland stuff - I knew people (people I considered old and firm friends at the time) who had fished the Falklands in depth before fishing with me on TDF and in Patagonia: "no comparison" was their universal opinion by the end of their first day's mainland fishing, after I had put them onto and into fish to 14 pounds and into much bigger ones by the end of the week.

I posted summat about that IMAX film production on another board last night, a real pukka fly affair, entitled "The River Runs Through It Effect"

http://www.sexyloops...t=NW;f=4;t=3564

Some interesting responses.

#16 jeepster

jeepster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:12 AM

of course paul, i forgot anything you had done was better than anything anyone else had done :)

and no sewinman i wasn't in the army, i was making a television program over there. luckily we didn't have to fly on a hercules, we had the luxury of a tristar which now (i think) is the regular plane they use. still about 2 grand though

#17 Paul Boote

Paul Boote

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:16 AM

of course paul, i forgot anything you had done was better than anything anyone else had done :)

Bitter, over-competitive, little bugger, aren't you, Jeep?

#18 jeepster

jeepster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:20 AM

am i paul, all i did was mention a location where i've fished, you then name dropped a few more locations, and then droned on a bit about how big the fish were you'd put people on to.

seems you're the bitter one :)

i was merely making a joke paul, that's why i put a smiley face after the words you find so bitter and over competitive.

:)

look there's another

:)

and another

stop taking yourself so seriously and you'll find the world is a much nicer place :)

Edited by jeepster, 11 January 2006 - 11:37 AM.

#19 Tony U

Tony U

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, fishing and more fishing and oh yes Morris Dancing

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:37 AM

Falklands eh, Jon!
You weren't doing a most haunted out there where you?
Did you catch any of the fabled sea trout? I had friends visit there last year birdwatching and they where knocked out by the place.
Tony
Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

#20 jeepster

jeepster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:43 AM

the place is amazing tony, the fish may not be the biggest in the world, but the location more than makes up for that. i'm no bird watcher but even i was impressed with what i saw. (i'll try and find my penguin pictures)

no, we weren't doing most haunted, i was making a show about the history of the navy, it went out a couple of years ago.

the falklands is one of the few places i've been with work that i'd seriously consider going back to and paying my own way.