Cod "doomed" due to climate change.

Jaffa

I think its the same as with the bass, the mowing your lawn sindrome. If you cut your gass once a week to 3 inches the chances are you will mostly have 3 inch long grass.

Cod are fast growing and the few spawners can produce many baby cod.

So it just shows how effiecent commercial fisherman are that they catch most fish before they reach 4lb.

Can you account for the fact that offshore we only catch large fish, this season I recon I 've caught more cod over 10lbs than under with a few 20's amongst them.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes mate I will try,

From what Ive seen there are not many boats working the offshore marks that you work. When I was reguarly going to the Knock we only saw a hand full of boats.Also you use larger mesh.

Inshore there are a fair few boats creaming the inshore marks with 90mil mesh. Its not just 26ft boats like my mate Nick but an growing fleet of small fast regestered boats that fly out with about 800 yards of 90mil bass nets, just to fish a hour window of tide.

Offshore doesnt get the concerntrated pressure that the rivers get.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Sorry Sam that don't work, we are catching most of those cod in 90mm sole nets as a by catch, in areas you would not target cod, I am sure there is more cod in the deeper and harder ground . I am also sure the boats you describe have very little if any impact on the cod stocks on the SE Coast.

I am not saying there is a lot, there are more than anglers are aware of, but what large cod are left in the SE not many venture so close to the shore as they used to , it has nothing what so ever to do with commercail pressure as there is very little, especially ofter October when the bass fishing stops, hasn't been for years.

Sorry Wurzel my mistake I forgot we are talking bass and cod.

QUOTE:

but what large cod are left in the SE not many venture so close to the shore as they used to , it has nothing what so ever to do with commercail pressure as there is very little, especially ofter October when the bass fishing stops, hasn't been for years.

So where are they? all moving North?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Hello Sam

No I don't think they are all moveing north, I think the cod stocks are more local than realised , the codling that are being caught at the moment inshore will be the same stock that can be found along with the larger fish right off shore during the summer. Localy the stock has suffered from very low recrutment for several years. some years a little better but generally poor . I think it goes on averages, even on very good years the fish close to the shore in our area were predominatly codlings, some exeptional years there were a good few larger fish with them. I can remember during the early 70's not bothering shooting long lines close inshore on blowy days, it was better to save the bait and wait for better weather and get offshore to the bigger fish, these days with a lot less cod less large fish are comeing in shore but all the codlings do just as they always did, thats why you get a bit of a showing of codlings one year , then by the next they have reached the size they rather stay further off , unless there is another year of better recrutment following on you get a blank year as has happened a few times in recent years.

I can remember good years then a few bad years in a row then you would get a glut of thousands of baby codling for a few years and the fisheery would kick off again. But for the past ten years its masinly been bad. I was told that when cod stocks are very low they breed like hell to catch up.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

I can remember good tears then a few bad years in a row then you would get a glut of thousands of baby codling for a few years and the fisheery would kick off again. But for the past ten years its masinly been bad. I was told that when cod stocks are very low they breed like hell to catch up.

What do you mean by "breed like hell" Sam? and any idea where the idea came from? Cod breed over several days, presumably to increase the chances that some of the eggs will hatch when enough of the right plankton are there. I presume its likely some must breed over a longer period than others? Must a a proportion of the population that will have a strategy to put loads of expenditure into a longer and more intense breeding season?

Know any more sam?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

No mate, but I will ask.

I was told that the fish left produced more spwan.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.