Cod "doomed" due to climate change.

Jaffa

Hello doubleshotDamo

If a stock of fish is looking vulnerable for some reason (i.e. climate change) you don't go and hammer it and expect it to still be there years later!

by whom and how has this stock been hammered in the last few years?

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello doubleshotDamo

by whom and how has this stock been hammered in the last few years?

I don't think that any damage done by overfishing has been done in the last few years Peter. It's been done over tens of years. It's only recently we've started to see the consequences of it. I don't think the shovelling back of tons of undersize fish has helped too much. Once they are dead, they tend to stay dead.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

they wont die out ,climate change has happened hundreds of times since cod swam the seas ,if it gets a bit warm they move (as tropical species have moved to the south coast as the sea has extremly slightly warmed) to a colder area ,when the seas cool again they move back ,even if all the ice melts the poles will still be cooler by their position to the sun so mr cod will live there ,the reason species have become scarce may not be due to fishing but the fact the fish may have gone on holiday

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Can I say " I told you so " now.

“Probably the main reason for the lack of success of cod to recover after overfishing is that the ecosystem has changed

Wurzel, it clearly states that Cod cannot recover after OVERFISHING.

We told you so.

But what about the Eskimos??

That's their problem.

Guest @Winter@

Chesters - How far north did they move ??? I recently read an article that suggests the cod at Iceland are in decline too. Perhaps they all swam past ??? :o:):)

At least the icelanders including the fisherman identified the problem:, ignoring science, bad science, mismanagement of the stock and over fishing. :)

Chesters - How far north did they move ??? I recently read an article that suggests the cod at Iceland are in decline too. Perhaps they all swam past ??? :o:):)

At least the icelanders including the fisherman identified the problem:, ignoring science, bad science, mismanagement of the stock and over fishing. :)

Winter you mentioned icelands cod fisherie being overfished .

That is what the icelandic goverment told its own fishing fleet overfishing is causing concern regarding cod stocks around iceland and took imediate action and closed areas down a sensible thing to do you would say ,now take the british fishermen says everythings ok there is tons of fish pleas let me try and catch the last one. :rolleyes:

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Ive looked all over and cant find mention of it tho not sure how many sea anglers there are in Iceland..... Found this tho

There are extensive nursery areas permanently closed for fishing. Spawning areas of cod are closed for a few weeks in late winter during the spawning period and the Marine Research Institute has the right of immediate, temporary closure of areas with excess juveniles. There is a 12 mile limit for large trawlers in most areas and there are several selectivity measures, such as a mesh size of 135 mm or equivalent. A sorting grid is mandatory to avoid by-catch of juvenile fish in the shrimp fisheries and devices for excluding juveniles in the groundfish fisheries are also mandatory in certain areas.

Maybe these kind of drastic measures are whats needed over here....

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

Guest @Winter@

The temporary closure of areas which hold a lot of juveniles is a great idea. Would I think be beneficial here at Herring spawn time as despite what some parties suggest there is a large discard rate of undersize codlings at this time, infact CEfas research goes as far as to suggest the fishery here is actually a juvenile one.Not sure how or even if it could work here but I understand some of the skippers would be willing to give it a go. Unfortunately unlike Iceland the other areas away from the juveniles arent likely to earn the boats a living so they would be looking for compensation instead and noone seems to be willing to fund that. But if its all global warming whats the point.