Cod "doomed" due to climate change.

Jaffa

Guest binatone
Out of interest did they close areas off to anglers too big cod?

When the Icelandic’s close down an area for fishing it means ALL FISHING. The same as the Norwegians do.

If they where to close down fishing while the herring are about off Whitby they would have to close down the fishery (to make it effective) from the end of June till well into October.

This area (again to be effective) would have to be anywhere twenty miles north of Whitby, the same south and at least twenty miles off the land. Because the herring return to several areas for spawning each year.

It would only be fair to say that this would include all types of trawling, static nets, and of course last but not least angling.

I believe there where no more than four commercial fishing boats working in the above area at any one time last year, so am sure that this would be a fishing that would not bring the fleet to it’s knees. But if it was to make such a difference as many would have you believe then I am sure that the few who participate would listen to reason if reason could be proved to be correct in this case.

Regardless of what some say there is a living to be made clear of this fishery as other commercial boats from Whitby prove by not attending this fishery when it is ongoing.

Would charter boats be prepared to make the same sacrifice as the commercials in order to preserve this fishery?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the Icelandic’s close down an area for fishing it means ALL FISHING.

Where have you got this information from Binatone? Ive looked all over Icelandic Fisheries management website and cant find any reference to angling anywhere. I have emailed the director of fisheries management to ask him....If its anything like our govt. I expect a reply sometime in July

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

Hello Skippy

There are extensive nursery areas permanently closed for fishing. Spawning areas of cod are closed for a few weeks in late winter during the spawning period and the Marine Research Institute has the right of immediate, temporary closure of areas with excess juveniles. There is a 12 mile limit for large trawlers in most areas and there are several selectivity measures, such as a mesh size of 135 mm or equivalent. A sorting grid is mandatory to avoid by-catch of juvenile fish in the shrimp fisheries and devices for excluding juveniles in the groundfish fisheries are also mandatory in certain areas.

Maybe these kind of drastic measures are whats needed over here....

It would not make much difference.

The Iceland fishermen have followed all the science advice going for years and are still experiencing a decline in cod stocks.

As I mentioned on an erlier thread, dispite a vertual free for all in the Barents Sea cod stocks are still conciderd healthy.

I still say what is perseived as over fishing is just fishing.

If just fishing for cod is concidered as over fishing because the stock is not reproduseing fast enough to replenish then all cod fishing is over fishing including anglers.

The presant cod fishing fleet could not over fish a local duck pond.

I disagree the decline in cod stocks is now irreversible, as far as I can ascertain the cod fishing here at the moment is much the same as it was during the 20 and 30's so it can come back as it did in the 60's

I fish to live and live to fish.

When the Icelandic’s close down an area for fishing it means ALL FISHING. The same as the Norwegians do.

If they where to close down fishing while the herring are about off Whitby they would have to close down the fishery (to make it effective) from the end of June till well into October.

This area (again to be effective) would have to be anywhere twenty miles north of Whitby, the same south and at least twenty miles off the land. Because the herring return to several areas for spawning each year.

It would only be fair to say that this would include all types of trawling, static nets, and of course last but not least angling.

I believe there where no more than four commercial fishing boats working in the above area at any one time last year, so am sure that this would be a fishing that would not bring the fleet to it’s knees. But if it was to make such a difference as many would have you believe then I am sure that the few who participate would listen to reason if reason could be proved to be correct in this case.

Regardless of what some say there is a living to be made clear of this fishery as other commercial boats from Whitby prove by not attending this fishery when it is ongoing.

Would charter boats be prepared to make the same sacrifice as the commercials in order to preserve this fishery?

A man with a rod and line will never do any damage to cod stocks we arent even a spec in the equasion more goes over the side in numbers than all the anglers in the uk catch each year.

That is probably why the icelandic goverment realize angling is no threat to cod stocks and so will angling which is primitive to trawling to continue when area are closed down. ;)

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Hello Big Cod

A man with a rod and line will never do any damage to cod stocks we arent even a spec in the equasion

You and your anglers probably catch and land more cod over the year than most of the local long liners, if there was to be a cod stop implimented why should they be stopped and not you?

At the moment every sigle cod landed is damage to the cod stocks.

Any way the presant cod fleet is but a speck in the equation.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest binatone
Where have you got this information from Binatone? Ive looked all over Icelandic Fisheries management website and cant find any reference to angling anywhere. I have emailed the director of fisheries management to ask him....If its anything like our govt. I expect a reply sometime in July

Hello Skippy.

When the Icelandic’s have closed down a fishery in the past for whatever reason, they have been very stringent on that area that is to be closed to fishing.

The Norwegians are the same. I would be very surprised if the Icelandic or Norwegian fisheries would let any boats fish in the boxes they shut down especially when they shut down the long liners because they have caught juvenile fish in a said area.

Anyway I hope that you get an answer soon as I would be very interested in what they have to say, that’s if you want to share your hard fought for information?

I have read many articles in fishing news over the years on the stringent enforcements of there (Icelandic’s) fisheries management.

What would be your (or anyone else’s come to that) thoughts on everybody making a sacrifice for a limited period in order to safeguard a fishery in what ever area you come from?

If winter has know problem in getting a reply from the powers to be when he wants one, then surly if you wanted to help in shutting down this fishery, a campaign from not just the commercial sector but also the recreational anglers from this part of the world, could help to influence the powers to be that there is a issue here to be addressed and the importance of it is stressed by the sacrifice that all who are concerned are willing to make both recreational and commercial, this should at least make some sit up and listen?

Hello doubleshotDamo

If a stock of fish is looking vulnerable for some reason (i.e. climate change) you don't go and hammer it and expect it to still be there years later!

by whom and how has this stock been hammered in the last few years?

I didn't say in the last few years!

Guest @Winter@

Wurzel I dont understand the logic of what you say. You might not understand my logic as i'm not sure even I do but I think I got it right.

The total effort/normal fishing at present times must be more than the cod stocks can handle as cod numbers here are declining and thus that is overfishing. This does not mean that recreational angling is overfishing. You can only claim that once the total effort is that equal to recreational angling and stocks still decline - not something I can prove or you can disprove like most of the stuff we discuss unfortunately. There is no black and white and really only time will tell.

Commercial fishing coupled with everything else taking cod from the sea is causing the problem. If Anglers stopped angling I feel pretty certain things would not improve. Limit commercial fishing and I am more optimistic. I currently feel slightly optimistic as DEFRAs recent enforcements are now giving the cfp it's chance to work. If the Thing is enforced rigidly for the next 10 year then you can start thinking about declaring it a failure or a sucess, you cannot currently declare it a failure because of the lack of enforcement over recent times. Hopefully it will be a sucess and you can earn a few extra quid for your family from all the little codling that will then swim into your nets.

I bet I know who will know if the Icelanders close the sea to recreational Anglers as well as commercials. Leon has benn quiet recently.