Poole Harbour

SpeciMan

Arrived at Evening Hill carpark, Poole Harbour this morning before dawn for a days yak fishing in and around the harbour. Was muggy, grey! and a bit blowy when I headed off with tide and wind in the direction of the Poole Harbour entrance. I was taken down a deep water channel then spat out of the entrance (the current was quite strong today despite the neap tides we're on). On the way down I drifted for flatties but got no bites - was drifting a bit too fast and didn't want to anchor up preferring to paddle a bit to keep warm.

Once out of the harbour it started raining and the wind seemed to pick up making conditions quite rough and not that pleasant for fishing! After about 3/4 hour trying for herring with baited feathers in the Swash channel and Training Bank area I pulled onto Studland beach just outside the harbour entrance for a break. With the aid of the trolling motor I then headed back into the harbour to fish from the west side of Brownsea Island.

Was met by a group of sea kayakers (Poole Canoe Club I think) who had two birds with them. A seagull and cormorant were both hooked by the same shrimp rig which had large stainless steel hooks (3/0) -- ouch. I managed to get the hook embedded in the seagulls nostril out with my forceps and it flew off. I don't know what happened to the cormorant - it had two hooks embedded in it and the group decided to head off to find some pliers which could cut through the stainless steel hook. Was impressive to see one of the kayakers towing two kayaks whose occupants were keeping the bird still (after a short while the paddler did seem to slow down :D ).

After the bird incident I headed down to Furzey Island trolling all the way with no bites. My GPS gave me 2.5 miles back to the launch point - I had 70% power left on my batteries so I went for it and tootled back on high speed (3mph against wind!) back to the car making a potentially unpleasant finish to the day pleasant. Conditions today really were bleak especially outside the harbour but despite this and lack of fish or bites it was an enjoyable day nonetheless.

post-4691-1136763430_thumb.jpg

post-4691-1136763566_thumb.jpg

post-4691-1136763633_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Nice post mate---------------------Isn't it funny how with yak fishing you can spend all day getting cold etc. blank and still go home as happy as a pig in s--t-------------------I love yak fishing : :):):)

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Great report, see your getting good use from the motor. Did the kayakers appreciate your rig or just think you were kind of weird?

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Thanks guys.

I think the kayakers were too busy dealing with the birds to fully appreciate my rig :D but they did show surprise when I used the motor which they hadn't noticed to tootle off towards a nearby fishing boat in search of pliers.

A couple of paddlers followed me over a little while after and they were catching up fast. The kayaks they had looked very efficient and gave a great glide in between paddle strokes. I want a Dorado :)

One of them asked if I was cold. We were all wearing similar gear but I guess being sat inside a kayak will give a bit more protection from the elements than being sat on top. After from my feet I wasn't that cold but if I had been anchored up for any length of time it would have been freezing.

Can't wait for my next trip which will probably be at the weekend. It could be a bit windy though and with spring tides next week I'll have to be careful about where I choose to fish.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Any sign of the dredgers Speciman?

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Any sign of the dredgers Speciman?

I can't be sure it was the dredger although a ship which looked like one was heading out of the entrance when I was heading back in. It was a Sunday so I guess they had a lie in if that was the case :)

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow