BASS AND COD IN BEFORE OVER FISHING

sam-cox

Hi Davy

I understand where you are coming from but I ask you to consider this.

If the BMP which is supported by Defra scientists and Bradshaw fails due to lack of angler support, then the politicians will not stick their necks out again and support RSA. Their attitude will be, if the rank and file member can't be bothered supporting their own plans why should they?

Proposals by the National Mullet Club and SOS which are intended to be for the Marine Bill 2006 will be received with derision.

How many sharks and rays will die then, if the commercials are allowed to go on without opposition? How many more lowest oft threats will happen, (Wurzel has intimated that the tope slaughter continued after we all assumed it had stopped.) I fervently believe a hell of a lot more than may or may not die in the interim period of the Bass growing to 45cm.

To call me a hypocrite for supporting a move which i believe will ultimately help save our sharks for ever is frankly OTT

If the BMP doesn't get implemented then RSA can forget any thoughts of equal stakeholdership, and SOS successes, certainly during this government.

:D I am a 'sea angler', not a bass angler, not a mullet angler, not a shark angler but a sea angler. I fish for what ever species is in season and available in the area I'm fishing. I am not a member of BASS, the NMC or the Conger Club, although I fish for all those species but I support the BMP because it will, if accepted, give RSA a lot of clout where it matters and in due course protect other fish stocks. As others here have said, if the BMP fails, goodbye to sea anglers interests. What I cannot understand is the attitude of the commercial sector and their supports, even some on here. Why must they make up the shortfall if the BMP is introduced. What right do they have to guaranteed earnings from the sea? Especially as they and their actions are the main cause of the problems.

Mine workers, steel workers, car workers, where are their guaranteed earnings? If the work or fish goes, so do jobs, there's no guarantee of a job for life anymore, get real you commercial fishermen, your best bet for continued employment is to accept the BMP any any others that come along to improve fish stocks with open arms. No fish equals no jobs, or can't you see that behind the £££ signs in your eyes? :rolleyes:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my view, the main reason that these threads has got so out of hand at times is the way it was started.

Late in the day, the idea sprang into Davy's head that bass fishermen would need to make up a shortfall in their catches.

Now what he should have done was some basic research and quantified his concerns in some way.

- How long will there be a shortfall

- How much

- How much of that shortfall will be able to be made up

- Will it be made up of cockles, cod, sole

- How will it apply regionally etc

And then if he still had significant concerns he could have made some enquiries to see if those concerns were already being taken into account etc.

But no, the question is kept much as 'Have you stopped beating your wife yet'

And he jumps straight onto a public forum.

And for the few supporters of the BMP that post on here, the timing couldn't have been worse.

Just as the last big push to get the mildly apathetic and waveres to get around to putting in a response is being put underway, and those involved are up to their eyeballs in a thousand and one other things to put the finishing touches in.

It's probably just unfortunate timing, but it reeks of sabotage, and brings a huge sense of dismay to those who have put in years of effort and months of very hard work to bring us to this point.

Having posted his fairly vague fears, and demanded answers, the onus is then on the suporters of the bmp to drop all of the other things that they are struggling with and respond in a qualitive and quantative fashion, or else be publicly condemned.

That was attempted.

But Davy seems to have completely ignored all the answers supplied and just kept hammering away, much to the delight and encouragement of a number of others.

And any reply produced, ignored if it doesn't suit, but probed more if it can be used to achieve further damage.

Not good for angling :(

Just my opinion

Tight Lines - leon

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon,

You will be pleased to hear that I sent your recent SACN press release to a mailing list of fishing webmasters.

Not only have a number already added it to their sites, but others also sent me copies of their letters to DEFRA. Some are anglers, some are anglers who make their living from angling.

It was great to see such a positive response from them. People supporting something are often the quietest (exclude football fans from that!).

Anyone else who wants to take a copy of the press release for free distribution is welcome to grab it from here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/news/articles/720.html

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest NickInTheNorth
In my view, the main reason that these threads has got so out of hand at times is the way it was started.

Late in the day, the idea sprang into Davy's head that bass fishermen would need to make up a shortfall in their catches.

Now what he should have done was some basic research and quantified his concerns in some way.

- How long will there be a shortfall

- How much

- How much of that shortfall will be able to be made up

- Will it be made up of cockles, cod, sole

- How will it apply regionally etc

Tight Lines - leon

Hi Leon

I am afraid that I must disagree with you on the above point. Any party attempting to change the status quo is the party that needs to put forward the reasons and evidence for its changes.

If someone has legitimate concerns, then those questions deserve to be looked at and answered. As long as these forums and others are being used to promote support of the BMP then they become a legitimate venue for those questions to be raised and answered.

I have absolutely no doubt that the people promoting the BMP have the best interests of RSA at heart.

I also have no doubt that they will have taken into account the fact that the fishermen currently taking small bass will have a shortfall in their income, and that as a result of such shortfall they will turn their attentions to alternative sources of income. If they have then what is wrong with sharing the conclusions they have reached on the above matter? If they haven't then it is important that such concerns are addressed as a priority. Failure to do so does lead to the inescapable conclusion that the promoters of the BMP DO NOT CARE about the possible negative impact of the plan, whether those negative impacts be short or longer term.

You state that the idea sprang into Davys head late in the day. Well perhaps it did, simply because as there is no real bass fishery in the area that Davy fishes it has not been at the forefront of his mind. Having turned his mind to it at this late stage he has legitimate concerns. Concerns that impact directly on the resources which are at the forefront of his mind in terms of conservation.

Your allegations that he is doing this with any malice are not worthy of you.

We have at least one poster on here that has provided some facts regarding the possible sources of revenue to fill the gap for the commercials. To my mind £3 million pounds of tope or smoothhounds at £5 per stone equals a lot of fish - slow growing, late maturing, sporting fish! Now if there are likely to be other ways in which these fishermen make up there revenues that is superb, everyone wins. But that question needs answering - properly, and not emotionally.

(If anyone wants to put a tope byelaw proposal in front of their own area's SFC, having organised the proposal for Kent & Essex SFC, I have most of what you need to do. To put a proposal in front of an SFC, you don't have to be a member)

How would you go about this Leon?

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

Guest NickInTheNorth
This 'one poster' of yours is not interested at all in a recreational management plan for bass beeing implemented. He cares about his own earnings and this in the shortest term. His interests are pursued without much or any thought for the long term conservation of single fish stocks. He goes to another stock when the first one is done. I wouldn't take much advise from that man. Try and ask him which and how many fish he predicts to land from now till next January. Ask him the result next year and you'll see the difference between his forecast and actual landings makes the level of uncertainty of the BMP's affect on other fish stocks a laugh.

I know full well the record of the poster I refered to. What you say does not answer the substantive point of my post which was has the question raised by Davy Holt been considered by those responsible for drawing up the BMP?

If not, why not?

If it has then what conclusions have been reached?

The point raised by Davy Holt is a legitimate one which deserves a proper response. I am broadly in favour of the BMP, and have supported it up to now. I would however like this matter addressing without delay to allow me to consider exactly where I now stand on the BMP before I submit my final response.

The one commercial fisherman that I know sold his 35 foot boat 4 years ago as he thought he could earn the same money fishing inshore up the rivers in the creeks.

The catches he was first getting were enough to earn a living, but after the second year the catch rate was inconsistant.

He then set up a dog training company, so I supose instead of targeting other fish while the 36cm bass are growing to 45cm he will just have to train more dogs, its a hard life being a commercial fisherman NOT!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!