Stocking a pond. advice please?

Nick_593

We have a large pond that needs stocking. It has been established for 10 years or more and has some smaller species of fish such as Roach and Rudd.

My question is; what is the best method of stocking a pond? Should a local garden centre be used (which can expensive if they balance the price they want to sell at), or can you go direct to the stock suppliers?

Also are there online centres that can be used reliably at a good price? (if so can you recommend)

The main criteria we're looking at is value for money with a large quantity of fish, balanced with quality (so that they survive well).

We are looking to stock the following;

- 20 rainbow trout

- 20 golden Orfe

- 10/ 15 Mirror/ Leather carp

- Some Common carp

- Some Tench

Thanks

Its around the size of a tennis court, maybe a bit bigger. It is likely to be expanded a bit this summer also. Temp in summer would not be above 19 I suspect. We have also had a few rainbow trout in there before (maybe 3), which grew well and survived for several years but the otter had them last summer..

Main questions is whether online dealers can offer just has good quality fish as those in garden/ aquatic centres, and value for money when buying a large quantity?

Thanks

I removed the carp from my pond for 2 reasons. 1. They bullied the Orfe and Goldfish, causing casualties 2. They kept the pond so mucky that I had to clean the filters daily, and the local World of Water took them back, and the water became clear within a week

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Nick,

I know you are well up on this, much better than I am I'm sure. O2 and water temp are very critical for trout. Not many ponds in the Midwest US can hold trout through a summer.

I'd forgo common carp unless I came across a "deal" on some randomly marked koi.

Although they are my favorite angling species, carp are not called "pond pigs" without some justification.

Phone