digging lugworms

skippytheroo

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You purchased a balaclava ?. Who was it and more importantly where ? and more importantly what was in his bucket. :):)

Nope no Balaclava.....I guess it was my adonis lke physique :P and maybe my dog I had with me tho he said it wasnt really like your dog at all close up :P I thought id see how many worms I could dig at Stoope Beck but ended up at Boggle Hole and almost at RHB. Had some decent fat worms there today...there were a few small whites but nothing to shout about :P I see what ya mean about trenching now ............its easy as pie

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

Hi

Ive been trying recently to dig worms with little success

Ive found this on a web site and would like a little clarification on a few points :P

The worm lives in a burrow that can go as deep as 2 foot during the winter months and as little as 9 inches during the summer. If digging then the best way to get the worm is to dig in front of the blow hole and cast 1 spade of sand away, then step back and take out a full spade of sand being careful to keep the spade as straight as possible, lift out the sand and normally the worm will be found in the sand you have just removed, if not then dig 1 more spade full out, depend on how deep the worm has gone will depend on how many times you have to repeat this process, however anymore than 4 then you would have almost certainly missed the worm.

Does this mean that you dig in front of the blow hole and the cast?? or between the hole and the cast?

Don't bother mate, I gave up using worms years ago, and fishing alongside anglers who do use them, I don't seem to suffer. In fact, I do better.