2 P.B's at Kimmeridge

richi

post-7370-1137930316_thumb.jpgpost-7370-1137930480_thumb.jpgpost-7370-1137930563_thumb.jpgWhat a session :clap2: Darnsarf has promisedto do the write up

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking forward to reading your report Richi :D Well done on the 2 P.B's.

Well Speciman I can hear Kimmerage calling us....Its saying"Come and try me next Friday :thumbs:

zzippy2.gif

the other was a Bull Huss that was much bigger than the 5 1/2lb Pollack but didn't get his mugshot because he performed his own version of catch & release :clap2::clap2::thumbs::sun:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

Our Thursday session is going to take some beating though :rolleyes:

A few hundred feet long + a few thousand tonns.HMS hood didnt put up much of a fight though :clap2:

Edited by Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

the other was a Bull Huss that was much bigger than the 5 1/2lb Pollack but didn't get his mugshot because he performed his own version of catch & release :clap2::clap2::thumbs::sun:

B):D 5.5LB Pollack.Very nice Richi.

Was that caught in the bay itself?What bait were you useing?

zzippy2.gif

Well. Where to start. From the best ever to total disaster. I want the film rights.

Me and richi initially tried for Warbarrow but due to some illegal raves they close the gate at 10pm so a night session was out.

Having seen a flat calm and knowing that the weather was for much of the same we decided to try Kimmeridge. If you do not know Kimmeridge, very rocky with shallow shale shelves that go out to sea that form perfect breaks for surfers. Yesterday, it was perfect......for surfers. With 8ft swells emerging and breaking from a flat calm it only allowed us a 60m gap to break out into the bay. It was surreal paddling out on a flat calm to see these big waves emerge from nowhere.

As we had not fished the area before (I have from the shore) we decided to stay in the narrow surf free corridor and anchored up on flatish bottom about 25ft deep. It was low tide with the sun setting, quite magical.

I went for the trusty float and sandeel while richi ledgered with squid. It was quite for a couple of hours during which we tried a couple of new locations within the confines of the surf free channel to no avail. It all kicked off about 3 hours before high, 7(ish). Richi started things off with his obligatory Pout, 20 mins later i had what I thought was a decent Pollock on the floated sandeel. What I had in fact was a 2lb whiting that that thought it was Pollock. First PB of the night.

Richi soon weighed in with a Doggie on the squid. I now witness the first great fish of the night. "ere Paul Ive just got the worlds biggest LSD!" I flick on the light to see a 7-8lb Bull Huss hanging from his hook. Magnificent fish, apparantly it came up like a log untill it saw the lights. The Huss was having none of it and before Richi was able to turn it into a pin-up it waved us goodbye and lept back into the night. 2nd PB.

(WARNING: THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY STORY) I now changed positions and baits ( if you cant beat them join them) but stuck with the float. Things went quite for a while, I was just admiring the clear starlit night complete with meteorite when I felt Yarak kick to the left and saw the float tip light steadily disappear under the water. It could be best described as hooking into an underwater bulldozer, no great strike or run just shear steady unrelenting power. I let the fish have a good 100m of line, steadily increasing the drag on the bait runner. It never batted an eye lid it just kept on going at its own steady pace. Finally it did seem to wake up and ............. just bit me off. We were both pretty sure it was a good sized Conger but on 12lb gear and line the whole thing had an air of inevitability about it. But what an experience, hightened further by the night and being on the yak. I then went on to have a couple of probable Pollock hits but was unable to hook them.

Meanwhile, superstar Richi hooks into something what wasnt quite so docile as the Huss. After bit of a battle he lifts a worthy prize, his second PB of the night and the 3rd of the session, a very fine 5.5lb (weighed) Pollock. Well done Richi that was definately your session. What a night! (This is January)

We headed back through the surf and landed at about midnght without mishap or incident. Which makes a nice change for us.

Word of warning about Kimmeridge, it can look benign but treat it with care it can bite. I would not want to get caught in that surf unprepared especially at night. But what a spot. We fished probably no more than 500m straight out from the slipway.

It would be great if the story could end there but life has a habit of kicking you when you are on a high.

Sad to report the demise of Yarak. On the way home the roof rack on the Jeep failed (Cast alli fitting sheared) and the yak fell into the road just missing Richi. Unfortunately, it didnt miss the oncoming Rolls Royce (it had to be!). It is now RIP in my back garden literally smashed in 2 pieces. Luckily, no one was injured although my insurance company aren't going to be too impressed on Monday!

It was a great 6 weeks and atleast she went out on a high. Would you believe it I have lump in my throat. But Yarak2 and I will be back to catch that Conger!

Paul

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

:( Brilliantly written Paul as usual but as you say a disaster--I feel badder about the dimise of Yarak than I do good about the P.B's -------------all I can say is god's speed Yarak 2 :( I bet the bloke in the Rolls thought it was a U.F.O.--I must say it was surreal seeing a 15 ft yak go flying past in the middle of the night :bye2:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

assisted rescues---5