Fish are getting smaller, maturing earlier

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Maidstonemike

I take it you don't agree then?

Is that fish you are holding one you had in the bottom of your freezer for twenty years?

or are you nieve enough to think it was the very last biggish cod in the Southern North sea?

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Maidstonemike

I take it you don't agree then?

Is that fish you are holding one you had in the bottom of your freezer for twenty years?

or are you nieve enough to think it was the very last biggish cod in the Southern North sea?

:wallbash:

The ONLY Cod I have caught for ten years, because they are as scarce as pink elephants around here.

In the sixties, I could catch a dozen good Cod per session, and I am a highly skilled angler.

Edited by maidstonemike

Hello maidstonemike

At least we are still talking.

The ONLY Cod I have caught for ten years, because they are as scarce as pink elephants around here.

Can't argue with that, especially if you compare it with the 60's as most old timers do, I wish they would compare it with the 50's.

You don't have to take my word that there are still some larger fish in your area, pop down to Ramsgate harbour and talk to the commercail fishermen, they have been catching them up to Christmas, probably will again in the spring.Ask them how many dolphines they caught last year while you'er there.

I kept hearing reports of some better bass being caught around the Dover area did you not catch any of those ?

Hello maidstonemike

At least we are still talking.

Can't argue with that, especially if you compare it with the 60's as most old timers do, I wish they would compare it with the 50's.

You don't have to take my word that there are still some larger fish in your area, pop down to Ramsgate harbour and talk to the commercail fishermen, they have been catching them up to Christmas, probably will again in the spring.Ask them how many dolphines they caught last year while you'er there.

I kept hearing reports of some better bass being caught around the Dover area did you not catch any of those ?

Yes but it's the inshore Cod that are missing, for whatever reason, and the Cod catches by boat are down on individual fish size and quantity.

As for Dover, I don't fish it. Might try St Margarets Bay this summer, very rough ground.

Hello Maidstonemike

If I was to take up shore fishing for cod again and useing my experience as a commercial fisherman as a guide, there are few places I would bother trying.

In your area, from Deal pier south to Folkstone.

Around here, Orford Island

I have not had much experience north of Lowestoft untill you get to Whitby.

At Whitby, the cod mecca , I would head any where south of the harbour to Robin Hoods Bay.

These are places where I have had very good catches close to the shore of large cod over the years, you will note that each area is in close proximty of deep water, this these days is the leading factor for larger cod from the shore.

I agree there are a lot less cod and the larger fish seem to be staying farther off, as you say during the 60's you could catch plenty of cod every where, but even then there were hot spots such as the places I mentioned, now it's just down to the hot spots for one or two.

Better mention, that untill the North Sea cools things won't inprove.

The graph shows large increases after 1962.

And what happened in the 62/63 Winter. A bloody freeze-up! We had 6 weeks below freezing down here, with snow on the ground till May.

The decline seems to have taken place at the same time as rising sea temperatures!

Did The the bloody freeze up restrict fishing practices as well jim i wonder?

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hello Maidstonemike

If I was to take up shore fishing for cod again and useing my experience as a commercial fisherman as a guide, there are few places I would bother trying.

In your area, from Deal pier south to Folkstone.

Around here, Orford Island

I have not had much experience north of Lowestoft untill you get to Whitby.

At Whitby, the cod mecca , I would head any where south of the harbour to Robin Hoods Bay.

These are places where I have had very good catches close to the shore of large cod over the years, you will note that each area is in close proximty of deep water, this these days is the leading factor for larger cod from the shore.

I agree there are a lot less cod and the larger fish seem to be staying farther off, as you say during the 60's you could catch plenty of cod every where, but even then there were hot spots such as the places I mentioned, now it's just down to the hot spots for one or two.

Better mention, that untill the North Sea cools things won't inprove.

Hi wurzel, it sounds like i will never be getting my beach gear out ever again! down here in sussex during the winter then, ah well best get rid of it :( happy now?

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

I don't know Stavey I have never fished for cod in your area, I spoke to a fisherman from Rye recently, he said that they had had some ,well I would not say good but they were not terrible cod catches from that area, so don't give up hope just yet.

Perhaps thats your trouble to many negitive thoughts.