How big do Porgies grow?

darnsarf

NIfty

Sounds good. Think if we were to do it a mother boat would be a safer idea. Then it wouldnt matter how tired you were after the fight or how far you had been towed. Needless to say the shark would need to be caught and landed from the Yak. Think the idea of getting one onboard has little chance. Suggest using the system they use in the states where getting your hands on the wire trace counts as caught. If you are cutting the trace then stainless steel would be a no-no.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nifty.

Just my oppinion, but being at anchor would be a mistake.

Having a large fish hit your bait, and then trying to quick release an anchor, should you need too......ummmmm.

Having the Kayak on the move would be a bonus when fighting the fish, I think?

Hope your companion is fit, because the ride could be long and far......and fast :lol:

Definate need for a Mother boat methinks, especialy given the species being sought.

The possibilties of injury, exaustion, fish release cry out for one ?

Its good to mull it over though........wont sleep tonight now :lol::lol:

Hi Darnsarf,

Like you say, I don't think there is a chance of getting one aboard, and unlike the Yanks I don't want to kill such a magnificent beast just for a glory shot. However I do think that it would be possible to get one to touching distance to release and as long as there is another Yakker alongside I don't think a mother boat would be neccessary, what would they be able to do anyway?.

Stuart.

MOther Boat would be there just to make sure you could get back in case you are cream crackered after the fight and the shark has pulled you out further than planned. It could be the difference between fighting to the end or giving up half way through. Would hate to have to release one before getting it to the yak. Anyway a taxi home is how most of my best outings end. :D

Obviously basing this on the article, dont know the mark you are hoping to catch from.

Hi Bill,

I think in the first place that you will need to be anchored to get the hook up because the speed that the yak drifts compared to a 30ft charter boat would not allow you to fish effectively. Like I said before, I do not think that you would be able to sustain the fight at anchor for the duration and at some point would have to release (easier said than done, I know) but at what speed do you think a Porgie would be able to tow the yak that another fellow yakker following would not be able to keep up?

A mother boat would be a reassurance, but I don't think that they would be able to offer any more assistance than another yak at water level at the crucial time.

If you did manage to get a large Porgie to the yak side at anchor, then you would have to release the anchor in any case, beecause of their tendency to go deep and possibly foul the warp and maybe tip you in,

which doesn't bear thinking about :blink: The reason for a weak link to the rubby dubby bag.

nifty

True. But I would be absolutely gutted. Would Take atleast 3 Guiness to get over it. :D