Shelf Life or Frozen?

Will Greenhill

Shelf Life or Frozen Boilies?

Is there any difference nowadays with the superior ingrediants now available?

Are there any better leakage rates from one to the other?

I have caught fish on both over the years and cant really say if one is better than the other.

Cum Catapultae Proscriptae Erunt Tum Soli Proscript Catapultas Habebunt

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Julian has done an article on bait selection here at http://www.askanglers.co.uk/cat/Carp/

However, I've just spoken to him and he's going to add his thoughts on the fresh vs shelf life discussion over the next few days.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Now added at:

http://www.askanglers.co.uk/Carp/shelflife_v_fresh_bait.html

Cheers...

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Nice one, Jules! :thumbs:

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Cracking item Julian very informative!

It would be interesting to know if anybody has every bothered to do a whole year on fresh/frozen and then a whole year on shelf life, same make and flavour. Same venues?

I wonder what their catch rates would be in comparison?

Are the carp that clever?

If I offer my kids some fresh strawberrys then offer them some strawberry sweets full of additives and E numbers, they will say yes please to both and enjoy them equally.

I understand the importance of baits breaking down in the water and in the world we live in where we are all doing our bit to recycle it makes sense to use the fresh/frozen makes (biodegradeable?)

Obviousley the fish welfare is of top importance.

A fish full of additives doesn't sound good.

Are the carp that clever?

If I offer my kids some fresh strawberrys then offer them some strawberry sweets full of additives and E numbers, they will say yes please to both and enjoy them equally.

yeah but say if one of your kids took the sweets every day and the other took the fresh strawberrys everyday....which one would be healthier??? fish aint stupid if they eat cr*p every day they are gonna feel rough just like your kid would eating the sweets all the time....but the one eating the good fresh food would be a lot better off as he'd be gaining all the vitimans ect that he needs.....just like the fish.....i always use fresh bait and one of my mates on a limited budget fishes ready mades he catches but not many i'd say frozen outfishes ready mades by 6 to 1....

I totally agree with you "Scoop" but can you prove the 6-1 ratio.

I try hard to feed my children a healthy diet but put something good and healthy in front of them then offer them a trip to Maccy Dees for a burger I know which one would win.

Can we prove the carp are that clever that they would be able to know if they are eating " healthy" baits or un Healthy ones?

I totally agree with you "Scoop" but can you prove the 6-1 ratio.

I try hard to feed my children a healthy diet but put something good and healthy in front of them then offer them a trip to Maccy Dees for a burger I know which one would win.

Can we prove the carp are that clever that they would be able to know if they are eating " healthy" baits or un Healthy ones?

the 6 to 1 is only from the fishing i've done with my mate couldn't prove it on a wider scale.......i think you've just got to look at syndicate lakes as to how good frozen baits are the fish are always big and healthy then if you go to a day ticket water that sees all sorts of rubbish chucked in the fish are normally in bad shape

As a general rule of thumb.

If you fish frequently then I would suggest fresh/shelflife boilies. If you are an occasional carp angler I would advocate the use of frozen boilies. If you don't use them all in one go you can simply pop them in the freezer for future use with no ill effects to the catching power of the bait.