Shelf Life or Frozen?

Will Greenhill

unless of course you use shelf lives when you add in (not small) amounts of preservatives.

Rob.

Shelf life boilies, when made correctly, need only tiny amounts of preservatives. The danger only occurs when untrained people decide to make their own and add ridiculous amounts. I also wince at the levels of chemical flavours that are being used by some people - way into the toxic levels I would think.

The most toxic baits being introduced to waters at the moment are coloured maggots. Highly toxic dyes are still being used in spite of decades of evidence warning people against them.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether or not shelf lifes need only tiny amounts of preservatives is open to debate, and most companies don't use very small amounts. Look for example at the levels bait companies that sell preservatives suggest you use. Toxic chemical flavours that's news to me - I'd love to know what examples you're refering to and how you know they are toxic. The only thing (of note) in a flavour is the solvent and most flavours use the same two or three so I very much doubt they are harmful in the amounts we use. Also if they are used in too high amounts, fish won't go near them so again they will pose no problems to carp.

Also as an aside the dyes you refer to were removed decades ago - chrysodine dyes I think. Edit - not quite correct they were banned decades ago but there is evidence that the dye is still in use (or was in 2002), but rarely.

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

On a personnal note, I prefer frozen boilies. I keep a few tubs of various shelf-lifes in my bag but my main bait of choice will be a freezer bait.

I just prefer the consistency of freezer baits, I think they leak their flavours and attractors more easily than shelf-lifes which I feel have their attractors locked in and therefor they give me a little more confidence.

Whether i'm right or wrong in my thinking is open to question and I accept that, I just go with my instinct and what gives me the all important confidence that is so important.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Maggot dye is bloody awful stuff by the way - I know - we (did) colour our own bronze maggots. I don't know what chemical is used but if you get it on yourself you'll not get it off!

It's a flipping dye - it's job is to stain stuff ! ;)

Rob.