open question to Bob Bradford

Guest NickInTheNorth

Guest NickInTheNorth

Hi Bob

Could you please tell me how to avoid any possibility of deep hooking a perch if I choose to fish a large lobworm on a size 10 barbed hook?

If I am unfortunate enough to hook a perch deeply then what should I do?

I believe that I should be relatively safe from deep hooking fish as I have now been fishing for 41 years, during which time it has been my great pleasure to have fished with and been instructed by several very well known anglers.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For heavens sakes, Bob, stop skirting the 'king issue will you! How will you ensure that a perch will not become deeply hooked? In plain simple words please explain what methods we should avoid/adopt and how to use a disgorger! PLEASE enlighten us.

OI OI

come on bonnie lad give us the answer, after all you ARE a match-man

WERE WAITING.

:):):)

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

I cannot answer the question as there is so little information to go on, Nick has not given me enough to work on, although if he is as Experienced as he says he is , he should be telling me!

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Guest NickInTheNorth
I cannot answer the question as there is so little information to go on, Nick has not given me enough to work on, although if he is as Experienced as he says he is , he should be telling me!

Bob,

YOU were the person that said you don't deep hook fish because you are experienced.

YOU were the person that said that they knew how to release perch ok without harm

YOU were the person that castigated an individual for daring to ask for advice

YOU were the person that said that folks that don't know the basics should get some help and advice

Now you want me to tell you what I would do.

Ok, if I deep hook a fish and feel that I cannot extract the hook safely I will, if in the circumstances I believe it is sensible to do so, cut the line as close to the hook as possible. Equally, if I do not believe that in the circumstances that is appropriate, I will have no hesitation in killing a fish.

I have no problem with admitting that occassionally I may deephook a fish, I'm only human. I don't leave baited hooks unattended, either in or out of the water.

Now, how about telling us mere mortals how to avoid deep hooking, and how to get a large barbed hook out of a deep hooked fish safely as that is what you implied you could do in your totally unjustified tirade against the Flying Tench (if I got his name right :unsure: ) ?

As many AN members no doubt recall, the late Alan Taylor bought up some stock of a special type of disgorger in three sizes. See here. The medium one may help with the kind of deep hooked perch situation described here. I have one and it works well, but does need a little practise first.

Edited by Lid