open question to Bob Bradford

Guest NickInTheNorth

Fair enough Argyll, I was just curious and wondered if it was something course anglers would consider in the future, they are quite popular on the sea fishing scene for certain species.

Scotty

Hi Scotty, I've used them on everything from sails down to chub. Owner Mutu Lights for pike lures and the Eagle Claws for the smaller stuff, largely with hair rigs. Some of the Thames carpers swear by them in the fine wire sizes. Some even go to the trouble of making their own from standard hooks.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A serious question, Do they not do circle hooks in small course fishing sizes???

Scotty

Hi Scotty - missed your post while posting my silly "garlic" post elsewhere.

You make a good point. I've just bought circle hooks down to #6, but that involved a fair search and haven't seen any smaller on my searches so far. Personally I wouldn't be looking for smaller. For lobworms/perch I'd guess this is not a bad size. If deep-hooking at smaller sizes is an issue, then maybe use barbless and cut the line inside the fish's mouth, if in doubt? But that's quite a contentious statement I know ;)

This is a perennial debate here, maybe rightly so.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I dont know if this has been discussed previously, but as far as perch are concerned, in that they are a predator fish, and therefore would they be able to disgorge naturally, any bone or spiky fin that they may swallow?

If that is the case would leaving a deeply penetrated barbless hook be the best option, rather than almost certainly harming the fish further with a disgorger?

I am going to make this quick and to the point Nick if you fish like this;

Just to keep life real simple for you imagine I'm fishing a 5 metre whip. 6lb line straight through. A float of some sort taking 2 swan shot, bulked about 3 feet from the hook, which is a size 10 forged with a big barb. For bait I've got a wriggly old lob worm. And I'm fishing over depth by about 2 foot so the float can blow about plenty.

You are a complete novice and will deep hook fish after fish, I have been told all about you , I was told you cannot fish and come on here to wind others up, I have given you the benefit of the doubt , but your words have betrayed you, I feel sorry for you, really I do.. you must lead a very sad existence, my expertise would be wasted on someone that really has not got a clue, take it anyway you wish, I could not be less interested in your mindless games. This is a genuine observation not a personal attack.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Bob, please regard our questions not as mindless games, but a chance to give sound advice to our band of lurkers and those of us who can learn from you. The floor is yours, no tricks, no party games. I am genuinly interested, I really am. I have received one or two p.m's re your comments to Flying Tench. I have made the point to everyone of them that you are a top notch match angler with a wealth of experience to share. Ignore the wind-up merchants, Bob, they are not the only folk reading this thread. You have so much to give, we both know that, sod the knockers, as Delia she say, 'lets be 'avin yer'!

I usually fish with a 6m pole ,use 14/18 hooks and what ever line comes with the rigs ,(i am learning how to use a rod and waggler float) we are going away for a weeks fishing in June and i know that there are lots of large perch ..i would welcome advice from anyone

judy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)