Hook link

Quest

Im sorry you have taken it like this Scoop.Of course your opinion is valid.Did I not indeed say your veiws were in line with the modern day thinking? it was that that I was questioning.

Also if I remember right it was you who initially accused me of "Bad angling practice" I didnt go of on one or treat it as a personal attack.I merely defended and tried to justify the point of veiw i made. I mentioned the other material I have done on this subject so that you may have reffered to it rather than repeating it here.I also mentioned my experience so as to leave you in no doubt that I was simply making my comments through ignorance or predjudice.

Yes I could be accused of being stuck in the past reference my veiws on tackle and tactics BUT be under no illusion I prefer certain things purely because they are better not of some misplaced sense of nostalgia. I only know this as Ive tried (if not been involved with) most if not all of the new advances.Some I have taken on and others Ive not.This is because I would rather learn by experience rather than just following trends.

It apears it is me whose veiws arnt deemed valid as I have never sugested yours are not merely tried to defend my "bad angling " practices.I have certainly not questioned your angling ability as I have never met you.I do however question your ability to hold a civilised debate on what is most certainly an interesting and important subject without taking it personnal or reverting to personel insults.A shame as this was an interesting thread offering two opposing veiws by two people who obviously share a concern for fish welfare and as such giving others an oportunity to form their own ideas.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How dare you speak to Budgie like that. Damn you - I love him, sir!

Didn't mean to get your back up mate - I just agree that it's best to have the weakest point of a rig at the hooklength. Times are changing, and I may now find myself in a minority, but I maintain that if a rig's going to break, it's better if it breaks at the hooklength - not because it has a granny knot it it but because it's the lightest bs. I personally don't like the fashion of lead clips and high bs hooklengths, but it's not a go at you personally. It's in the nature of fashions to change (maggots for bait, anyone?) so it's bound to swing around again at some point, probably when one of the 'celeb' anglers starts filling the mags' pages with it (baaaa! baaaa!). [EDIT: re 'baaaa!' - not a go at you!]

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

everythin on this thread has just been discused at our annual syndicate meeting....and all the syndicate leaders was all agreed that if any ''weak points'' was to be intentionally put in hook links as stated by you then your ticket would be ripped up an membership lost....so this proves this not just my opinion....some of these chaps have been carp fishing for nearly 30 years...it clearly shows they have moved on to the ''moden way of thinking'' and they all beleive it is for the better as it all improves carp wellfare....like i said some people also need to move on in their fishing and adapt to the modern ways....

i still see well respected anglers who have been fishing for years use leads fixed directly to the mainline held in place with a bb shot either side.....thats why leadclips are so good.....if an angler can cast a rig out wher the lead can't come free from the mainline then its a disgrace....

even with the lighter hooklinks you use.....if the mainline does hapen to break then the lead will still be attached to the fish wher with a lead clip the lead will already be off the line leaving the fish only towing some line instead of 3oz's of lead fixed in place........

so can you please tell me and 99% of ''modern'' carp anglers wot we are doing wrong...as we'd all love to know..... :g:

the personal attack came from you who said ''If you have such a lack of faith in knots then I respectfully suggest you look at the knot you use,the way you tie it and the materials you tie it in''

at wot point did i say i have a 'lack of faith'' in my knots as you have presumed??? as by this thread it is clearly you who has the lack of faith in the knots you tie by stating they are ''weak'' all knots should be tied correctly and tested before going anywher near a water... :rtfm:

oh and BigSid i've only slept with my quarry once as you well know

Edited by scoop

I had wrote a measured reply but decided Im only wasting my time.Like a lot of instant carp anglers you think you know it all and when your ideas are challenged you just reply with insults and bull ****.As I have said before I am always interested in others veiws but only when they are based on experience and put over in a civil way.Sugest you grow up a bit mate.

Dont worry Mods this will be my last correspondence with this prick.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I had wrote a measured reply but decided Im only wasting my time.Like a lot of instant carp anglers you think you know it all and when your ideas are challenged you just reply with insults and bull ****.As I have said before I am always interested in others veiws but only when they are based on experience and put over in a civil way.Sugest you grow up a bit mate.

Dont worry Mods this will be my last correspondence with this prick.

as i said before you just assume...how do you kno i'm an instant carper?????? if you'd like to know i've been carp fishing for 16 years and fished on some of the biggest circuit waters in the country and caught fish up to 55lb in the uk...so i'd like to put you right on this one i'm no way an over night carper....so these views are based on experiane like i said you assumed i',m an instant carper and i'm quite clearly not...its these sort of comments coming from you that have **** me off...

prick???? civil???????? sugest you look at yourself.......

Edited by scoop

I agree that some developments in carping are beneficial, but only if they're used properly. Leadclips can be good in the right circumstances. Walk around a 'carp lake' these days though, and virtually everyone is using them regardless of the situation. Sometimes with leadcore. It just shows how thoughtless carpers can be (always banging on about the 'right' bait and the 'right' rig, never giving a thought to watercraft and basic angling ability). No-one is suggesting building a weak spot into a hooklength. No-one is suggesting trapping a 3oz lead between split shot. Both of these are stupid ideas.

It's quite easy really - if your mainline is 12lb, use a hooklength of less than 12lb.

Leadclips et al encourage lazy thinking and lazy angling.

The 'I love carp more than you' mentality in carping is disturbing.

I bet if you went around any lake in the UK and checked out the rigs being used virtually all would be the same, with little differences to give them the 'edge' we're all told we need. It's ridiculous. Things like lead clips were invented to fulfil a specific need, not to be used as the norm. Crazy rigs created for a very specific situation like the Withy Pool rig and the 360 rig are being chucked out in commercial ponds. It's all a bit tragic.

Just ranting now, when I get going I realise how futile certain branches of fishing have become. I'm going chubbing on Saturday, yay! And I'll probably be using a link leger tied with a water knot. With a lighter hooklength, obviously.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Slightly off topic but i fish with lead clips and have never actually 'dumped' the lead while playing a fish, wether trying to keep it away from snags or through weed beds i havent actually lost a lead. Am i doing something wrong here? Possibly bad angling practise on my part but i aught to find out.

To be safe though i usually fish with lighter b/s hooklinks than mainline.

Also if the mainline broke when using a lead clip and the lead hadnt been dumped, then the clips are still semi fixed arent they? The fish should be able to pull the swivel out of the clip just like semi - fixed inline rigs, right?

Appologies if i sound stupid for asking.

steve.

Slightly off topic but i fish with lead clips and have never actually 'dumped' the lead while playing a fish, wether trying to keep it away from snags or through weed beds i havent actually lost a lead. Am i doing something wrong here? Possibly bad angling practise on my part but i aught to find out.

To be safe though i usually fish with lighter b/s hooklinks than mainline.

Also if the mainline broke when using a lead clip and the lead hadnt been dumped, then the clips are still semi fixed arent they? The fish should be able to pull the swivel out of the clip just like semi - fixed inline rigs, right?

Appologies if i sound stupid for asking.

Hi Steve. This is one of the problems I have with them, and no, you don't sound stupid for asking, quite the opposite. Some work better than others, and some work so well that the lead flies off on the cast (and rockets towards some poor sod on the opposite bank - good 'safety' rig! :lol: )

If you push the sleeve on too hard, the lead won't come out. If it goes on not hard enough, you're dropping leads all over the place. Think how many 2-4oz leads are littering our lakes now - plus they're about a quid a pop!

The inference is that if you use a lead clip, you're fishing safely - ergo lazy angling.

Also, as you say, if the mainline does snap (which it will if it's a lighter bs than the hooklength, especially a coated hooklength, which I concede are difficult to get hold of in lighter bs) the fish is trailing a hooklength, a lead (if the 'safety' bit of plastic didn't work that time), a lead clip which could attach itself to snags, accumulate a build-up of weed, etc., plus a potentially long length of mainline.

My suggestion is to sit at home with your end gear and see what you can come up with yourself for your specific lakes and conditions. B)

My suggestion is to sit at home with your end gear and see what you can come up with yourself for your specific lakes and conditions.

How true oh so how true. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.