Derwent Water

Nathanking

Hi

Just wondering has anyone fished on Derwent Water in the Lake District?

I am on holiday there soon and wondering what gear to pack.

I know there are Pike & Perch to fish for with lure gear etc but is there any coarse fish that can be targeted?

Looking on the web it's no t too clear what is up there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Nathan

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I've fished Derwent many times but it's along time ago now. The water is / was good for PIke, Perch, trout and used to be full of eels. How it fishes now I have no idea.

A couple of Pred anglers that I work with fish it a lot and tell me its a great water for them and that I should get up there and check out the roach fishing as it can be very good.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

A couple of Pred anglers that I work with fish it a lot and tell me its a great water for them and that I should get up there and check out the roach fishing as it can be very good.

Back when I fished it Brian there was never any sign of a roach, or at least I never caught one, nor did anyone I knew. No doubt they where there, but most likely in small numbers, probably live baits released at the end of a piking session. Maybe when the perch where wiped out with the perch disease the roach where able to breed and grow without as much predation...who knows ?

If I remember rightly I did catch a lot of dace in bassenthwait.

I don't fish Derwent Water very often at this time of year as the lake (and town) is too busy with tourists. It is best approached from a boat, they can be hired from the marina at Nichol End marina, but it's a pricey business. We launch ours on there at 'out of season' (tourist) times.

If you are going to fish it from the shore then go along the Borrowdale road there are a number of places where you can fish, you may always have an audience, those tourists again.

I know anglers who live in Keswick but go the few miles down the road to do their shore on roaching on Bassenthwaite . Find the car park at Beck Whithop, go carefully across the A66 to the area where the beck (stream) runs into the lake, those who are inclined to catch roach seem to do well there using feeder tactics at distance. There are very good dace too, but it's useful to know there to fish for the wrong places are liable to be disappointing.

My (local) advice is to stick to pike and perch, lures and spinning or worming (for the very decent stripys).

Find 'Yewdales' newsagent and tackle shop in Keswick and ask for info advice there, he roach fishes.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"