Zander fish-in - October

Anderoo

I've been threatening do try to arrange this for a couple of years now(!) - can we have a show of hands of people interested in a day afloat at Rutland in October fishing for predators? There are plenty of zander and quite a few pike (including some big ones) and the odd perch. In Oct the weekends are open and you can fish with either lures or sea fish baits.

Vertical jigging for zander is probably the most fun method but it's up to you.

Boat hire plus predator ticket is about £60 for 2 people, so about £30 each. I think you can also get 3 people in a boat if you like. Some more info here: http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/leisure/what-to-do/fishing/pike.aspx and http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/_assets/media/predator-fishing-2014.pdf

If enough people are interested and we can settle on a date, I'll book the boats for us. It would be good to arrange it soonish if possible in case some dates get booked up.

Any questions, ask away :)

8 Oct:
- me
- jv44
- rusty
- Steve walker
- Matthew Simmons
- Alex
- Tigger
- Vagabond
- Norma

24 Oct:
All TBC

UPDATE

Directions

Copy this into Google Maps and it'll show you where the entrance to the lodge and marina is: 52.641071,-0.625802

When you get there

Press at the barrier for a ticket to let you in. Follow the road down to the right, the marina and lodge is then down on your left. There are a few parking spots down by the boats, if those are full there are plenty of others nearby.

Make sure you take your parking ticket into the lodge when getting your fishing ticket - they will swap it for a token which lets you leave at the exit barrier later (so the parking is free).

Boat bookings and payment

All 5 boats are booked under my name but you will need to pay on the day in the lodge. The cost of boat hire plus predator permit for 2 anglers sharing a boat is £60, so £30 each. When paying for your boat you'll be asked to provide a mobile number in cases of emergencies.

Life jackets are mandatory and are provided for free.

Times

The lodge opens at 8am, so I suggest met all meet by the lodge at about 7.30am. The fishing is until dusk, which changes as the days get shorter. I guess about 6pm in early October, but we'll be told on the day. We can arrange a time on the day to meet back at the lodge and debrief!

Post-event social

Rusty, did you have a plan for this?

Boat partners

So far it looks like we have the following boat partners:

1. Anderoo, Tigger and Steve Walker

2. Vagabond and Norma (+ possibly one extra)

3. Rusty and JV44

4. Alex and Matthew Simmons

A quick summary of what you'll need (aside from rod, reel, lures, etc.)

- waterproofs

- food and drink for the day

- something comfy to sit on (e.g. unhooking mat) and some way of stop it blowing away (e.g. bungie cords)

- if you burn easily, sunblock

- a drogue per boat [NB Alex and Budgie have these]

- ideally a fishfinder per boat [NB Alex and Budgie have these]

- unhooking tools [NB Alex and Budgie have these]

- not essential, but H block markers can be useful to mark the start of drifts etc.

Releasing deep-water zander

Please see post #74 here for information about how to release zander caught from deep water (very important): http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/5975726-zander-fish-in-october/page-8

The AN Zander Cup

Thanks to Rusty, the AN Zander Cup will be awarded to the captor of the longest zander on the day (unless it's JV44).

AW website

Finally, a link to the website with the rules etc.: http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/leisure/what-to-do/fishing/pike.aspx

Edited by Anderoo
  • Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo I am up for this and as long as food is on offer Rusty will no doubt want to come and Steve W I suspect,Ok then 3 in a boat vertical jigging would you be sat in each others lap?? 25grm jig heads heavy enough?? do they deliver Pizzas out to the boats ??Indian takeaways?? just thinking if he gets peckish you don`t want to be sat in a boat with him moaning ....I know I have ....

Do you drive up early or get a B&B and what about 2 days?? what wire do you recommend or are your tests still ongoing and what size shads or whatever to stick on the jigs and the obvious drogues....one enough and where is the best place to source them .

Joking aside is it poss to stick yourself and Rich in different boats alongside some of us newbys for a bit of inside info ,in otherwords drift speed and how far to rise and fall the jigs.

Matthew may be interested if he see`s this to

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Yes please! But I cannot do the weekends of 11-12th and 18th-19th.

Steve RE your questions. we ussually drive up the morning of but of course you could B&B it!

Jig heads in the 30-40g range on very calm you might be ably to get away with 20g and on rough days you might need 50g

Re the lures, there is minimum length of ~5inches including the jig head. We have caught on pretty much everything we have tried including a crayfish lure, but the shads are the most effective.

Cool :) Could be a fun one.

Steve, absolutely, dominos have a special pizza delivery boat for such emergencies ;)

But yes I think trying to pair up people who have done it (or something similar) before with those who haven't and want to try it is a good idea.

As rich says, jig heads are usually about 30-35g for normal conditions, if it's fairly calm you could get away with 25g probably. We have had to use 50g when it's extremely windy but that is rare.

Wire tests are still ongoing but drennan soft strand or nova silk seem to be the best so far. I think what you want is something thin and flexible.

Drogues can be bought anywhere, this is the one I use (at a very good price I have to say): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wychwood-New-Competition-Drogue-Save-s-/121381145080?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item1c42e149f8

The shop at Rutland sells them too. You WILL need a drogue. I have one I can lend out.

Fishfinders/echo sounders are very useful (not to find fish, but to see the depths), but I don't expect anyone to shell out for one just for one day. I wonder if a smartcast would work, if anyone has one of those?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Excellent Anderoo, thanks.

Plenty of notice to buy the right gear, I feel like treating myself. It’s about 2 ½ hours from me so would probably look into staying somewhere the night before, this place is near Rutland and looks ok (would there be time for breakfast before fishing?);

http://www.barnsdalehotel.co.uk/

As regards the gear can I be lazy and just ask what I need to get to save me trawling back through threads?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I can also lend out a jigging outfit (rod, reel, etc.) and lures to whoever shares the boat with me, in case someone literally doesn't have any of the stuff but want to give it a go.

Excellent Anderoo, thanks.

Plenty of notice to buy the right gear, I feel like treating myself. It’s about 2 ½ hours from me so would probably look into staying somewhere the night before, this place is near Rutland and looks ok (would there be time for breakfast before fishing?);

http://www.barnsdalehotel.co.uk/

As regards the gear can I be lazy and just ask what I need to get to save me trawling back through threads?

See 3rd post down here - http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/5113751-zander-fishing/page-8?hl=zander

That whole topic might be worth a read/re-read actually, it gives a decent overview of the zander jigging I think.

(Of course if people want to throw lures around for the pike/deadbait for the pike, you can do that instead.)

One thing that I will repeat is that for the zander jigging very thin braid for the mainline is really important - 8-10lb PP or similar. With the depths you're fishing at the drag on the vertical line is huge, and the thicker the line the more it pulls the lure away from vertical as you drift.

A proper 6' jigging rod is the best rod to use but if you don't want to buy a new rod just for one day, a short and stiff spinning rod would do. The key thing is that it is as stiff as possible. If it's too soft you can't control the lure properly and can't convert hits into hooked fish properly.

Oh and ignore the fluro in the pic on the other topic, you have to use wire traces now.