Triploid Brown Trout

Otter of Poole

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you expect anything else? Even rainbow out of places like the Lake of Menteith don't taste anything like a nice brownie from Katrine or Arklet IMO.

No I didn't but I did try. It's a bit like finding a way of making conger eel tasty. Pointless exercise but an interesting experiment. The nearest I got to making them averagely palatable was on the barbie and that involved searing the fish to caramelise and sweeten the outer flesh. But you are what you eat and so are fish to a large extent and that greatly influences the flavour.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Quite possibly the most sensible, useful............. neah, constructive suggestion you've made.

If you want to dabble about in some muddy hole then thats your lookout. I prefer something like Loch Katrine: 8 miles long, 1 mile wide and at most there will be 9 boats out at a time.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

...you are what you eat and so are fish to a large extent and that greatly influences the flavour.

Absolutely. To me farmed rainbows that you buy in the shops and also any rainbows that are new stock taste like Tetra Min flakes :yucky:

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

can't pallett farmed salmon, love wild salmon.

can't stand stockie trout, loved wild brownies bbq'd on the bank.

Edited by phil dean

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

No way can a commercial fishery stuffed with gay Rainbows be any sort of match for a wild Brownie (or Rainbow) caught in a windswept inland sea or natural river course.

But they do have their place, especially in their larger format. Modern working life is not really conducive to lots of spare time hunting large wild trout & many is the time I've nipped to a local lake & caned the Rainbows, & had a lot of fun doing it. However, yes it's a quick easy buzz & no it's not the real thing.

Tastewise, cultivated Trout are hardly worth cooking compared to Wild fish.

Mind, I did fish a water years ago where the Trout were quite difficult, due to the fact they could dissappear into the depths & out of bounds areas. Often they were in there quite some time before they came out, & were a lot thinner than when they went in. These fish were lean, mean & didn't taste too bad at all.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.