Sainsbury to stop selling skate and huss.

Steve Coppolo

J Sainsbury will no longer sell skate and huss because they are endangered fish species, it announced today.

Britain's third-biggest supermarket chain - and its biggest fishmonger - said it would also consider whether to continue selling other threatened stocks such as swordfish, marlin and Dover sole.

They join Marks & Spencer and Waitrose who already operate similar policies. Last Month US giant Walmart stopped selling species that are considered endangered. Could it be possible that Asda will soon follow suit as they are owned by walmart?

Seems like someone is taking some responsiblity at last.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J Sainsbury will no longer sell skate and huss because they are endangered fish species, it announced today.

Britain's third-biggest supermarket chain - and its biggest fishmonger - said it would also consider whether to continue selling other threatened stocks such as swordfish, marlin and Dover sole.

They join Marks & Spencer and Waitrose who already operate similar policies. Last Month US giant Walmart stopped selling species that are considered endangered. Could it be possible that Asda will soon follow suit as they are owned by walmart?

Seems like someone is taking some responsiblity at last.

That's odd, I was told that there were plenty of Sole about when I said I hadn't caught one for years, now they are 'endangered', well well!

That's odd, I was told that there were plenty of Sole about when I said I hadn't caught one for years, now they are 'endangered', well well!

:clap2: I think there's a bit of politics there. To compensate some fishermen for quota cuts and the like, DEFRA increased their sole TAC. They may well be endangered but they don't have the same public sympathy as cod do. :clap2:

Does this mean they will stop selling thornback ray and dogfish ?

Probably. I'd imagine that most skate sold in supermarkets is Thornback. I doubt they sell LSD's though as they are a bit small. Their dogfish is probably bull huss, smoothound or spurdog.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Thats true mike, having said that the area that you were directed to is relitivly untrawled hence the greater chance of catching there.

they are tough to find in qauntity in a lot of places. :(

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Hello Maidstonemike

Wrong again.

Dover sole is not in any way endangered.

Green peace consider they are caught by distrutive fishing methods, ie bottom trawling.

I also think Green peace are confuseing skate with thornbacks rays.

they say they are also caught by bottom trawling.

The only dogfish supermarkets sell are spur dogs and once in a while I've seen tope stakes, although I had the impression that the tope was bought more for show as much as any thing else. The spur dogs are usualy imported very cheap from Canada, where they are considered a pest.

I think this is getting totaly out of hand, do you think green peace will stop once they have eliminated the fishing industry? they will turn on you in a flash.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Maidstonemike

Wrong again.

Dover sole is not in any way endangered.

Green peace consider they are caught by distrutive fishing methods, ie bottom trawling.

I also think Green peace are confuseing skate with thornbacks rays.

they say they are also caught by bottom trawling.

The only dogfish supermarkets sell are spur dogs and once in a while I've seen tope stakes, although I had the impression that the tope was bought more for show as much as any thing else. The spur dogs are usualy imported very cheap from Canada, where they are considered a pest.

I think this is getting totaly out of hand, do you think green peace will stop once they have eliminated the fishing industry? they will turn on you in a flash.

Nah wurzel, sport anglers are environmental friendly you know, commecial fishermen on the other hand are not.......

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly