Devon/Dorset fish meet/match

richi

Richi

Just wanted to say thanks for organising the get-to-gether at the weekend. Despite feeling like crap from drinking too much and staying up far too late the night before, i still manged to enjoy myself (even though i felt seasick all day!) and am still kicking myself from loosing a bass on the rim of the landing net :wallbash: !

Anyway, it was so good to put some faces to names and was overwhelmed that everyone else is as enthusiastic/fanatical! as I am about this new sport of ours.

Sorry i had to bomb out early :( . Looking forward to seeing a full report and seeing you all agian.

Aidy

Yak: OK P13 (yellow)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, do we have any results in yet?

Had a great time Richi, although it was very hard going, wish I'd packed a float... no kidding really I am. Wish I had packed a couple more anchors more like :D

Good to fish with such enthusiastic people, next time we need to fish a sandy bottom, I like sand, it likes anchors. Been out today and replaced the anchor line, infact I bought two, just in case.

Anyway back to catch results... come on chaps.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi SM,

I went out of Brixham for the early high tide, as I couldn't make Salcombe.

I caught a couple of small Pollock, nothing larger I'm afraid (report on seperate post 'Fishing report - Devon 30th May')

Looking forward to seeing the reports from Dorset and Devon.

Cheers,

Dave

Kayak - Hobie Mirage Outback

Location - Paignton

Anyway back to catch results... come on chaps.

SM :)

Here's my two pennorth.

Had a great day. Popped me cherry(2 wrasse). Thanks for arranging everything Ritchie and well done everyone else who turned up. It was great to meet you. I think we all agree that when Kimmeridge turns on it's going to be an absolute belter of a place to yakfish.

Loads more to recount than I have time for at the moment, but feel I should mention rather more excitement than I wanted when I anchored with too little warp in a tide race and almost went for my first swim. The force nearly submerged my yak and snapped my stern bungee like a piece of cotton, I was about to cut my trolley cord when the weak link on my anchor finally gave way. Spent the rest of the day cutting half way through my cable ties (and these are the tiny 10cm ones I'm talking about) and they still needed quite a tug to snap. Echo the sentiments about sandy bottoms next time, but also think it's vital we get some info up about this topic (and others) on a safety page on this forum. Anchoring has definitely been the most stressful aspect of my yakking experience so far.

Other than that, I can confirm I witnessed Darnsarf catching live squid on sandeel and squid on Sat night. I was anchored up so couldn't get close enough in the dark for a photo. But, here's a few more.

Top Time :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

One of Darnsarf's wrasse

Close up [

My 1st wrasse of the day

I've got a few more photos, but it seems I've exceeded my limit. Anyone know how I can get round that without removing /reducing the ones I put up? :unsure: (I tried starting a new thread, but it wasn't having any of it. :wallbash: )

http://imageshack.us/

have you tried using a host site Paintfly, I use the people on the link,one day I may put a fish photo up :wallbash::wallbash:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Hi all,

I know you've all been looking forward to pics of thousands of Devon kayak fishermen and their haul,which will rival the local trawler fleet! Well here's a taste of what really happened:

KIF_1599.jpg

Chuggs and myself met up around 06:30 and initially conditions looked very promising.Dull and flat calm.

Chuggs hooked up with a small pollack immediately, we both caught plenty of these with this one of mine caught on rag/sandeel at around 2lb being the best.

KIF_1596.jpg

Chuggs then got bothered by mackeral taking bait meant for bigger prey.

KIF_1597.jpg

Chuggs lost one then landed his first bass of the season weighing in at around 2.5lb.Unfortunately he was so intent on releasing it before a small boat next to us saw what we were doing(and fished the same spot)that we didn't get a photo :(

Terry visited us briefly,unfortunately he failed to make contact but we found a note left on the windscreen explaining he had other commitments but had caught a small bass-pleease Terry say you took a photo.We need it for no. of species.

Chuggs and I both spent around 8-9 hrs on the water when we decided to call it a day.I desperately tried for a plaice but only caught some more small pollack.Surprisingly we didn't get any wrasse off the rocky area.

One good thing was my new basic anchor system which worked a treat.Also had some great views of peregrines scrapping and turns fishing. Lovely spot for anyone down on a visit.

The conger will have to wait for another evening.

Cheers all and well done Richi for organising it,

Jon.

Edited by musket

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Hi Jon,, sorry know pic, had camera and yes a flat battery. should of checked out a bit more, worked in the car. anyway what a day. it was raining when I got on the water after taking time out to watch a few female runners :2::2: . Anyway hit the water and tryed out the drift sock which worked OK, the anchor was good, but the fish finder was playing up a bit, only showing data on the top half. Played around the rocks for a time, around two hours and then had to call it aday as a party was layed on with lots of beer and young ladies, pity about the weather. terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Well done the Devon and Hampshire/Dorset teams.At least you all got out and enjoyed the day.

Some of us were stuck at work all day :angry:

There are some good pics and stories been posted :thumbs:

zzippy2.gif