Overfishing of Cod predates trawlers

Jaffa

Guest stevie cop

Hello Peter. Nice to see you posting on here.

That Cod book is well worth a read.

Yes, the Cod numbers do seem to fluctuate naturally, and at times it might seem that the Cod are on either on the way out, or making a comeback. After reading the Cod book, I tend to think that they have been hammered for so long, that they can't possibly still be expected to replenish themselves to that extent.

I think that in the years when it seems they are having a bit of a comeback, conditions could have been just right for a very succesful year class. Then a few years later, when most of that year class are gone, it's back to the nearly extinct Cod, until the next very successful year class, and so on. I think they are just about managing to hang on in there at the moment, but for how long?

There is no doubt that global warming is playing it's part, but natures creatures are very good at adapting to varying conditions. Surely the Cod could have adapted to tolerate the slightly warmer sea temperatures that we are experiencing in the southern north sea now?

There is definately an answer out there somewhere, but as yet, no one has found what it is. Blame global warming, commercial fishermen, pollution, seals, etc, etc. But the real culprits are the people who are supposed to have been managing the fish stocks and who have failed miserably.

[ 04. March 2005, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Steve Coppolo ]

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this sent to me in a recent email:

"I hope Bush recalls the antics of the Cod crusaders from Massachusetts when the North West Atlantic cod stock debate dominated the media.

In Massachusetts, a long established 'phone in' radio show took a call from the cod crusaders of the port of Gloucester in late 2003 which blamed the demise of their cod stocks on the Government and scientists.

The scientists came in for some really severe criticism for not having argued strongly enough that the stocks were in a precarious situation.

After all, said the cod crusader, (wife of commercial fishermen) "our husbands are just fishermen, they are not scientists and the scientists should have known better!" During the show's transmission, the show host, played a previous recording of a phone call to the show from almost twenty years previous.

It was a recording of the Cod Crusaders from Gloucester and guess what the caller was saying? "the scientists don't know what they are talking about, there are plenty of cod, our husbands know better than the scientists because they are out there on the banks"

After that exchange was broadcast over the air, the cod crusaders went very quiet!"

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest jay_con

I would be a little more comfortable if I thought the scientists and the politics were actually being listened to.

wether the quota sysytem is wrong or right? who knows? certainly not me, but it has been designed and implemented for a reason. For the long term objectives of the cfp to be brought to fruition the policies of the cfp must be followed.

Everybody keeps saying the cfp is rubbish and it doesnt work. I'll tell you why it dont work - Because the "greedy idiots" you talk about think they know best and take no notice of it.

Jaffa, It sounds to me like you know a very unique set of fishermen. Ungreedy fishermen, who dont break the rules ? do they really exist? Or have they just learn't to keep there mouths shut about theier activities in your neck of the woods? Perhaps they learnt that bragging about catching 7 months of quota in a day and landing it may make DEFRA start to pay a little bit too much attention to their activities, Perhaps they learnt that bragging about big paydays may make the inland revenue prick up thier ears.

Jaffa, It sounds to me like you know a very unique set of fishermen. Ungreedy fishermen, who dont break the rules ? do they really exist?

Come on Winter, there must be at least one fisherman who has not got glowing green eyes, a couple of horns growing from his head and a forked tail and drives a nice new BMW to and from his million dollar house??

:P

[ 04. March 2005, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: thurso angler ]

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Jaffa:

We all going to give up using so much energy? demanding the latest Japanese reel, shipped halfway around the world on a container ship with far eastern ballast water? We are all so perfect eh? Posted Image

Growing me own organically means my vegetables aren't hauled around the country by polluting vehicles (or areoplanes!)

Posted Image

Just going for a walk to the bottle bank now.

:)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest jay_con

Sorry - I am aware that I do tar them all with the same brush, which is wrong, And I know there are many hardworking guys out there who just want to make a living and infact are struggling to do so. Probably the type I know will be in the minority, But they do exist and are ruining it for everyone, and they do exist everywhere, even north of the border. I've seen how they perform when they come down here, Coming inside 6 mile and pleading ignorance, entering the protected areas at night and again pleading ignorance, Towing away all the crab pots costing the potters thousands of pounds.

Guest jay_con

I Like that leon. Pretty much like here. But we could all still make improvements. I cant see any solar panels on yer roof?