The Skerries - Plaice Fishing Trip

SpeciMan

Hi Speciman

As I said in my earlier post, I attempted the paddle to the Skerries twice last year from Hallsands beach which is by far the closest launching point to the banks. Both times I was on my own and even though conditions were excellent both times, I thought better of it on the way out, and fished closer to shore around the Start Point area.

As you get out the tide begins to affect you more as you loose the shelter of Start Point, both times as I could feel this current pushing me is when I gave up. Both attempts were made an hour before low water, with the thinking that I could get to the banks on low water, fish for a couple of hours and then paddle back in over the mid-tide slack.

Anyhow, paddling on your own always means you err very much on the common sense side of things so hence I still have not made it out there. So, providing the conditions are good I'd be very up for a paddle and a fish out there.

After the initial Spring run a lot of of the smaller fish 2-3lb range move inshore, but a lot of the bigger fish stay on the banks. So a calm period late May early June might be a good time to go. Also, by then the Rays and Bass will be in residence on the banks.

I have attached a couple of pics of me about 400yds or so off Hallsands beach fishing in the gutter.

Nick

post-6302-1141502053_thumb.jpg

post-6302-1141502079_thumb.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yaskalos,

How about you and I go on a recce to the skerries sometime soon?

I can't make next weekend but ok for the next.Are you teaching through the week?

Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Hi Musket

How are you?

Since November last year my Yak has been in hibernation and I have been concentrating on shore fishing. Have had some nice Cod and Whiting through the winter and loads of schooly Bass, also, done a fair bit of Flounder fishing.

When I rested the Yak, I promised I would not get her out again until at least mid-April and that I would give the shore fishing through the winter and the Plaice (March/April) a good go from the shore until then. In fact I had my first shore trip for Plaice yesterday and picked up my first one of the year, only small but a promising start.

So, unless we have some really early glorious weather before I am going to stick to this, but if you wanted to give it a go late April early May then I’d be up for it. Also, I don't have a drysuit, just the wetsuit, and the water is too cold even for me for a possible dunkin at the moment. However, personally I think the Skerries is much better fished in June when the small Plaice have moved inshore, leaving just the big ones, but the Bass and Ray have moved onto the banks also. By then you have a much better chance of settled weather, which is really what you'll need to paddle out there.

Also, around this time (May) was thinking of going back out to the ‘stone’ for some spring Pollock.

I am teaching all through the week at the moment, but have two weeks off at Easter, which is when I was going to wake the Yak up and possibly venture out again weather permitting.

Also, I know of a very promising mark for Plaice from the Yak, which is a much easier paddle and closer to shore than the Skerries, which I want to try this spring. It was passed on to me by Simon and I did try it but too late in the year really, but the bottom is big undulating sand banks which show up really clearly on the fish finder.

So, the short answer is a maybe depends on the weather and how the shore Plaice are going, will let you know.

Look forward to fishing with you again this coming year.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Glad to hear you've been fishing with some success.Most of my winter has been spent hawking, with only a few fishing trips trying for flounder from the yealm-which have been pitiful,one fish in eight trips!!(and not by me,who won the yealm fishing comp years ago by concentrating on these under estimated flatties!!)

I understand what you're saying re later skerries trip but if the tides and forecast are good for the spring run I'll give you a shout,I don't imagine I'll have to twist your arm too hard!!!!

Can't wait for the season to start -I would pay good money to go back to that first trip off the stone,but on the re-run I'd make sure I had a spare reel!

Jon

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

I hear the Plaice - big ones - will be on "The Mark" by mid April. An early recce will hopefully happen in the next couple of weeks - provided the weather behaves!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Reading some old stuff about Plaice on the Skerries and apparently the bigger tides are better - stirs the bottom more making more food available.

The big spring tides of the 27th and 28th should be cracking then. That is the weekend after Easter and I am back from Venice too - funny how some things just fall into place - FALL INTO PLACE GETTIT. Oh, suit yourselves then.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Just looked at my work Rosta.I am on nights then.But off on the 23,24 25 and 26th.

Wont spring tides be to much for Kayaks over the Skerries.I was reading that boat anglers when anchored up use up to 1kg of lead to hold bottom,they drift with 2 - 4oz of lead.

If its half as strong as the Shamble Banks that will be too much :oops::help:

Edited by Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

I've heard from Lloyd that they drag their anchors at something like 1 - 1.5 knots on the Skerries. They don't worry about it - it gives them a nice, slow, controlled drift!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• 2 weeks later...

hi all,

Took the family for a trip out in the hopefully now healthy landy(unlike me fallen victim to some strange stomach bug :( ) to East Portlemouth(opposite Salcombe and inland from the skerries) and saw a guy fishing from the shore.I took the magic translator pill so we could understand each other(kayak v shore) and was very pleased to hear that he'd taken three plaice -albeit skinny,he kept one,which I estimate was nudging two pounds.

Methinks a good omen.

Cheers Jon.

PS sorry but I didn't feel up to getting out on the prowler so can't let you know just yet how I got on with the new fish finder.