The Skerries - Plaice Fishing Trip

SpeciMan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All.

Just my thoughts on this one, so dont start throwing handbags at me. :headhurt:

The Skerries trip would be better served with a safety boat / Mother ship for company.

For the first trip keep the numbers very low, Max three Kayaks.( easy group to keep an eye on and deal with ) )

The Kayaks should be up to the journey, with good touring caperbilities, and fit paddlers.

Use the first trip as a recce for any possible future trips, see if it is safely doable,under the cover of the safety / mother ship.

To have a gang turn up and go for it would be a mistake ( just my oppinion )

Being this early in the season and not much paddling being done on a regular basiss, do you consider yourselves Paddle fit, ? to take on the distance, the tides, the wind and weather.

Need to get it right, and keep our so far unblemished record of safe paddling / fishing intact.

Not to mention keeping us all safe and sound.

Bill.

Hi all,

For this trip the weather would have to be perfect,BUT if it's not then salcombe could be a good second choice.If you guys are willing to travel that far then we must have a back up, and I promise you even if there are no fish :( then it is still a beautiful place to be.

Cheers Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Bill,

I think I'll let the weather dictate when to go on this little recce rather than make a date and cancel it.

How about when it settles down a bit one of us lets the others know he's going and if anyone wants to tag along.. great.

Cheers Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Hiya Jon.

So from one of your previous posts it looks like you dont need to be on the banks if there were plaice caught from the shore,.

I go on Holiday every year to Teignmouth.We go to South Sands in Salcombe as it is a safe cove for my daughter to paddle.

Speciman and I will be down your way in a few weeks time.As you said though.Depends on the weather where we fish.But Salcombe does look good for a back up venue.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

Hi Zzippy,

The plaice caught yesterday were nearly opposite and down river from south sands,at low water.

Hopefully when you get down everything should have started for real.Salcombe is a great spot and much more really than a standby.I just researched an area around nearby hope cove(absolutely beautiful) and found out it has over 30 wrecks dotted around it.Let's hope the weather is fine and we can get out to the banks but there will be fish to be had somewhere. :fish::whistling:

cheers Jon.

Hi Zzippy,

The plaice caught yesterday were nearly opposite and down river from south sands,at low water.

Hopefully when you get down everything should have started for real.Salcombe is a great spot and much more really than a standby.I just researched an area around nearby hope cove(absolutely beautiful) and found out it has over 30 wrecks dotted around it.Let's hope the weather is fine and we can get out to the banks but there will be fish to be had somewhere. :fish::whistling:

cheers Jon.

Ok Jon.

That sounds good.Hopefully my P15 will be here by the end of the month.Then I have to rig it.

I wouldnt like to try the Banks in my Caper,I think it would be to much like hard work.

But I am looking forward to comming down your way :thumbs:

I will be taking my Kayak with me at the end of July when we go to Teignmouth for 2 weeks.

We had some good fishing last year just out the river mouth.But that was on neap tides.The week after it was on Springs and we would not have been able to fish the entrance,a bit too dangerous I think :wacko:

So I just fished on the estuary where we were camping at Bishopsteignton,5 steps out the front of the tent and I was on the water.lol

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

Hi All

I have fished (from the shore) the last three week-ends for Plaice, twice from E. Portlemouth (Salcombe) and once at another shore spot and have caught in total 4 fish (biggest about 1.5lb). All have been very thin (just recently spawned) however, this is way below what I'd normally expect to catch this time of year from the shore. This is solely down to the easterly wind and until that has dropped off for a week or more it isn't likely to get much better.

Plaice are hungry now after spawning but will not feed properly close inshore until there are bright calm conditions and the sea temp has warmed a little. This warming will encourage Plaice food such as sandeels, razors, crab, mussels etc to bloom and therefore bring the Plaice in to feed.

Just checked the 'met-check' site for this coming weekend and it is still predicting easterlies!

Just a note also, if you launch a kayak from the East Portlemouth side, i.e. Mill Bay beach you will need a permit, obtainable from the Salcombe Harbour office. Maximum penalty as I have been led to believe is confiscation of your craft for not having one. This does not apply to launching from the Salcombe side, i.e. South or North sands as far as I understand. Also, the parking restrictions come into place from May 1st.

Regardless of the weather I will be out again this coming weekend (from the shore) will keep my ears open for any improvement. My local tackle shop has a 'flatfish' comp on at the moment and as of Saturday no fish had been recorded. Gotta loose these easterlies.

Nick