The Skerries - Plaice Fishing Trip

SpeciMan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again

After attempting the Skerries twice last summer I have to say YY talks a lot of sense, the current was really strong and you'll have to get your timing right not just with the weather but tides, winds and tide times also. I have fished it many many times from a boat and it is not easy to predict the conditions over the banks, wind against tide, tidal surges from around Start Point, etc.

On the two occasions I have fished E. Portlemouth recently with very strong easterly blowing the Portlemouth side has been really calm although the Salcombe side over South/North Sands has been quite choppy as it is not sheltered from the easterly over there.

Nick

Right folks, what Nick and Jon have said is perfectly good - I know where he is on about just inside the bar, by the rock with the perch on it - I used to fish there too, but only caught flounders, while everyone else reeled in bloody dinner plates with spots on!!

My plan for The Skerries was to launch from North Hallsands, if you get there early enough you can park, otherwise the divers will have nabbed all the spots. Otherwise it is not a huge extra paddle from Beesands. However, I have heard from a little bird that the divers get theri best fish from fairly close into the rocks between Hallsands and Start Point - in the corner. Here you get fingers of rock jutting out from the cliff with sand/gravel all around. That is where they are getting the really big plaice from - my diving contact had one of over 7lbs with his knife......!

Otherwise, it is straight out until you hit the bucking broncos (white horses) and start to spin round and round in circles! On the edge of the bank the tide isn't too bad except on the ebb - then it funnels down the bay and curles outwards. Flood is protected by the point for the most part. Sounds as though we are going to be past Easter before this happens.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Simon

Last time I half-heartedly attempted the paddle to the Skerries from Hallsands I hit the round and round bit which is when I paddled back in.

The area you describe between Start Point and Hallsands I believe could be the best kayak fishing ground this side of the Florida Keys, the potential is huge and all within easy paddling, parking and launching, plus totally sheltered from the prevailing westerlies.

As you say the ground is mostly sand/shingle banks interspersed with reefs and rocky outcrops. The cliffs are too steep for shore angling (I've tried) and as there are no major ports (only Dartmouth) it is rarely fished by boats, most are attracted to the Skerries.

A good friend of mine who used to run a fishing boat out of Dartmouth told me that the area holds dabs, plaice, small-eyeds, thornies, undulates, bream, pollock, bass, turbot, etc etc. He used to fish it occasionally if he had a party of anglers down from up the line to go wreck fishing but the weather was against them, if they were really determined to go out after travelling a long distance they'd fish there in the lee of the land.

Also, not so many divers visit here anymore as the divers hotel at Hallsands has closed down!

Nick

Hi All

Just to update this Sunday's local (South-West) paper The Sunday Independent reports a very poor showing of Plaice on the Skerries so far this year and the fish that have been caught are very small.

Had one myself yesterday from the shore, just under a pound.

Nick