Budget 10 weight

singy

I'm looking for a budget 10 weight rod for carp and pike and the odd excursion out after the bass in the old briney. Does anyone have any recomendations?

Cheers Singy

Edited by singy

Paul Singleton

I'm looking for a budget 10 weight rod for carp and pike and the odd excursion out after the bass in the old briney. Does anyone have any recomendations?

Cheers Singy

Seeing as a decent 10wt can land Tarpon to 60lb isn't this a tad on the heavy side for pike/bass/carp?

Anyway a decent budget (Define 'budget'?) rod could include a TFO Professional, Fulling Mill Ti4, GRX are all sound medium fast action rods. If you are throwing large bulky flies about I would stay clear of very fast rods.

JRT

I have had recent dealings with Foxon Tackle, I have had 2 second hand rods from them and they have been a good buy.

I see they now have for sale 10' 6" rated 8/10 Daiwa at £30.

Hope this helps in your search.

ps You must be aware of the fact that used second hand carbon rods can be dodgy.

Seeing as a decent 10wt can land Tarpon to 60lb isn't this a tad on the heavy side for pike/bass/carp?

Anyway a decent budget (Define 'budget'?) rod could include a TFO Professional, Fulling Mill Ti4, GRX are all sound medium fast action rods. If you are throwing large bulky flies about I would stay clear of very fast rods.

JRT

Sure I could catch them on a 8 weight in a big open snagless hole, and asuming I wasn't casting big wet heavy flies at the snags. I'll be targeting carp up to 40lb. in very weedy conditions.

Budget? Hmmm. A tricky one. Especially as the game fishing market seems to have no problem charging you £400 for 5 ounces of carbon. I'm looking at sub £80. You can get superb carp, float, pike and barbel rods for alot less than that these days. I have a fulling Mill gold series 6wt that is a joy to use. I can usually pick up these rods for around £80, a little more than I was looking at. Not sure a Ti4 at £150 comes into the budget range. Not for most anglers. Mad world :)

What about the real budget ranges, The Ron Thompsons etc. Any one have any experience with these?

Singy

Edited by singy

Paul Singleton

I had the Ron Thompson Esox 8/9. Snapped whilst casting.......heap of junk. I think you'll struggle to find a #10 for sub £80. You will get a Greys GRX 8/9 for that if there's any still available.

UKsaltwaterflies have the Fulling Mill Gold in a #10 for £100:

http://www.uksaltwaterflies.com/tackle_sin...ed_fly_rods.htm

• 3 weeks later...

I have my eye here:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...requestid=25272

and I'm specifically looking at the TF10904P.

Cabelas charge 40% to post to the UK though and you might get hit for tax and handleing charges as well.

All that gets a bit steep but can be avoided it you know someone in the US that you can have it delivered to and who is prepared to repackage it and send it on.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I have my eye here:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...requestid=25272

and I'm specifically looking at the TF10904P.

Cabelas charge 40% to post to the UK though and you might get hit for tax and handleing charges as well.

All that gets a bit steep but can be avoided it you know someone in the US that you can have it delivered to and who is prepared to repackage it and send it on.

Tacklebargains do them for £129! Even if you say $2/£1 it's going to be cheaper and less hassle than Cabelas.

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/S...eight_Rods.html

Ah, but I do know someone in the US who can post it on to be. Total cost should be about £95.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.