51 replies to this topic

#1 Leon Roskilly

Leon Roskilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,436 posts
  • Interests:Fishing (Coarse, Sea & Game), Conservation & Cycling

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:25 PM

Charges were brought after the fishing nets were hauled and found to contained 'blinders' (illegal smaller meshed nets attached inside the legal net) which trap undersized fish.

FishUpdate.com

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

#2 stavey

stavey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Interests:sea angling

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:05 PM

To soft a penalty for my liking, when it is a clear cut case as this! their license should be revoked and they should be banned for life from all activities of commercial fishing full stop......................
I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

#3 Steve Coppolo

Steve Coppolo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:30 PM

To soft a penalty for my liking, when it is a clear cut case as this! their license should be revoked and they should be banned for life from all activities of commercial fishing full stop......................

That can't be right Leon. They don't exist! A bit like the yettie, or the city of Atlantis. They are a myth, made up by those nasty angling types to give commercial fishermen a bad name.

You'll be posting that there's such a thing as over fishing next!
DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

#4 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts
  • Interests:Sea Angling, Conservation and shooting.

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:00 PM

FishUpdate.com

:clap2: Nothing more than a slap on the wrist. A deliberate criminal act with no mitigation and that's all they got. When will our courts start confiscating boats and banning them from fishing in UK waters for life. :o :o

#5 maidstonemike

maidstonemike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:38 PM

I don't agree with the bit about 'they are cheating other fishermen'. They are cheating everyone, including themselves in the long run. Why oh why are these commercials so short sighted? They can't be very bright can they. Farm workers used to be regarded as pretty thick, but commercial fishermen take the biscuit.
Their lack of brainpower should be no excuse for a criminal act. Why do they never go to prison? Isn't it fraud? Isn't it also conspiracy? They conspire together to break the law. That's two years in prison.
Why do they get away with a paltry fine that they can well afford to pay with all the illegal money they have made?

#6 Guest_@Winter@_*

Guest_@Winter@_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

Just glad our fishermen wouldnt stoop so low.

#7 JB

JB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

FishUpdate.com

There is only one reason anyone fishing commercially would risk getting caught using a blinder and that is if there was a market for undersized fish.

“The vessel was detained in Dover and further investigations revealed
a large quantity of undersized fish and more illegal netting.”

This statement tends to lend credence to the fact that there is a good market for undersized fish in Holland.

Although I have no personal experience on this matter, I have heard comments from UK commercial fishermen, who are fully cognisant of fish sizes, that they have been served undersized fish in restaurants while holidaying in Holland.

It is gratifying to see that other EU countries are starting to enforce the rules. However, the fact that there is a market for undersized fish indicates to me that it is a very serious problem; and the best way to sort it out is to kill the market by raiding Dutch restaurant kitchens - thus dealing with the problem at the source. If the commercial fishermen can’t sell it, there is no point in them catching it!

JB
John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby
http://www.chieftaincharters.com

#8 Steve Coppolo

Steve Coppolo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:18 PM

Just glad our fishermen wouldnt stoop so low.

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Don't drink and drive.

#9 Steve Coppolo

Steve Coppolo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:21 PM

There is only one reason anyone fishing commercially would risk getting caught using a blinder and that is if there was a market for undersized fish.

“The vessel was detained in Dover and further investigations revealed
a large quantity of undersized fish and more illegal netting.”

This statement tends to lend credence to the fact that there is a good market for undersized fish in Holland.

Although I have no personal experience on this matter, I have heard comments from UK commercial fishermen, who are fully cognisant of fish sizes, that they have been served undersized fish in restaurants while holidaying in Holland.

It is gratifying to see that other EU countries are starting to enforce the rules. However, the fact that there is a market for undersized fish indicates to me that it is a very serious problem; and the best way to sort it out is to kill the market by raiding Dutch restaurant kitchens - thus dealing with the problem at the source. If the commercial fishermen can’t sell it, there is no point in them catching it!

JB

I understand that there's also a good market for cocaine and heroin. So who do we blame, the addicts or the dealers who supply the market?

I'm not suggesting that commercial fishermen are drug dealers or anything like that, I'm just saying that the fact that there's a market is no excuse for them to break the law.

Don't drink and drive.

#10 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts
  • Interests:Sea Angling, Conservation and shooting.

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

I understand that there's also a good market for cocaine and heroin. So who do we blame, the addicts or the dealers who supply the market?

I'm not suggesting that commercial fishermen are drug dealers or anything like that, I'm just saying that the fact that there's a market is no excuse for them to break the law.

:clap2: But if there was no market there would be no incentive to break the law. :clap2: