Blinders

I was at the Oscars over the weekend the film Winter meets wuzel was nominated for Best Actor and Best supporting Actor

The Judges decided against Winter as they had other awards to present and could not afford the time for Winters acceptance speech they know how he goes on and on :lol::lol:

Wurzel also missed out as they thought he was all at sea trying to capture the sole of the character :lol:

Edited by sanctuary

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest binatone

Leon.

Thanks for posting this issue, it’s just confirmation of what the British commercial sector has said is blatantly been happening for years.

Winter.

Your hypothesis on blinders is a logical one. I am not sure how you would put it into practice though? I.e. where would you get the blinder?

Big cod.

Quote “funny thing blinders when you chuck a sack in the cod end”

You chuck a sack in the cod end of a beam trawl and you can kiss it goodbye after about 20 minutes towing.

You have obviously never made a trawl, worked a trawl or know anything regarding the workings of a trawl.

I believe you said before that commercials put tyres in the cod end for use as blinders?

The only thing that you want going in the cod end is fish, something that is buoyant and not stop you fishing.

I wonder if all the fish north of the boarder that has been caught the last few months has had anything to do with blinders. I can assure you big cod that when your taking 200 300 boxes a haul the last thing that you want is heaps of small fish to dump back over the side.

Your stance on blinders is a strange one? In fact your stance on your local commercial industry is strange. I have asked you before why and you declined to answer. I respect your prerogative on that.

John and Michele

There certainly is a problem with the market place as you said.

British fishermen have been crippled by sticking to rules that other states have been continually braking for years.

It looks at long last that the European commission is taking a hard stance on these serial offenders.

The massive fines that the French had imposed on them last year for flouting the law for the last 20 years was the righting on the wall.

We all know that the practice of offering undersize fish for sale (like the French have been doing blatantly for years) and the effective action by the national authorities are such as to prejudice seriously the community’s objectives of conserving and managing fishery resources.

Guest @Winter@

Where would you get a blinder. If its is simply a net of smaller mesh size would you not just buy a net of smaller mesh or make one or have one made.

It was actually me who mentioned the tyre thing as a blinder, They were words that came from the mouth of my neighbour (an x trawlerman now employed in another industry). I never actaully said what was said was true but then again I could see no reason for him to lie as it was just an honest question to the bloke next door, they were just the words that came from his mouth when I asked if he was familiar with the word blinder (he actually used another word to describe the thing with a tyre - it wasnt blinder) and wether or not they had been used locally. The answer to the second question according to his experience being yes.

Edited by @Winter@

Guest binatone

Ok then let’s say that you have purchased this piece of net that you need for your blinder. Where do you put it then? Remember that to get found with this net on your boat, on your fishing gear, when at sea or in the harbour would mean that your fishing licence would be revoked there and then and you would not be allowed to fish, therefore have any chance of making a living therefore going bust long before you where dragged in front of the courts to face your destiny.

That’s why I said that your hypotheses on blinders was a logical one but one that would be very unlikely.

Guest @Winter@
Ok then let’s say that you have purchased this piece of net that you need for your blinder. Where do you put it then? Remember that to get found with this net on your boat, on your fishing gear, when at sea or in the harbour would mean that your fishing licence would be revoked there and then and you would not be allowed to fish, therefore have any chance of making a living therefore going bust long before you where dragged in front of the courts to face your destiny.

That’s why I said that your hypotheses on blinders was a logical one but one that would be very unlikely.

Remember that to get found with this net on your boat, on your fishing gear, when at sea or in the harbour would mean that your fishing licence would be revoked there and then and you would not be allowed to fish, therefore have any chance of making a living therefore going bust long before you where dragged in front of the courts to face your destiny.

Yes if that was the case people would be less likely to chance thier livlihoods.

But that isnt quite true . You get caught with this item on your boat. Perhaps you argue its a prawn net and you are legally allowed to carry it.

You get caught using it as a blinder. As far as im aware (but dont mind being wrong) you are innocent untill proven guilty often many years later. The fines are so small that more often than not they dont even exceed the profit made from 1 illegal catch let alone the probable hundreds of times the method was utilised prior to being caught (not provable I do admit, but probable). Ive never known a licence lost and anyone go out of business so far.

Better Still, for the cod and haddock men you dont stitch a small net inside the net, you use the other suggested methods of sacks and tyres and when the Royal Navey come along and ask you to hail the nets you say oh bloody hell look what we caught a big dewson sack or a load of coal sacks and how will the navey ever prove you put them there yourself.

Guest binatone

If you are caught with net i.e. (smaller than you are allowed to carry) on your boat you are immediately ordered to return to harbour where you face a suspension of your licence. Depending to what net management agreement you have signed up to.

You will stay in port till that suspension is lifted.

Long before you appear at court.

Guest @Winter@

In reality how long is that and is it long enough to make it not worth while to risk your neck.

2 days in port might be worth the risk of getting caught a month in port may be a detterent. How long is the longest anyone was stopped from fishing.

That is quite concerning Dave. Perhaps our fishermen would do the same if they thought they could get away with it. Whats the chance that what they put on the fish counter in the markets we just put back into the sea dead.

Are Sparrows tasty ?

hi glenn, yep, sparrows are quite tasty, i know a bar that sells them deep fried.

we see lots of tiny fish sometimes in our markets, normally stuck on the end of the shelf along from the "proper" sized fish. my understanding has always been that they are the stuff that would be otherwise shovelled back over the side dead anyway.

they are sold to make fish stock etc, also they are cooked in huge vats of boiling oil and sold in tapas bars, as "pescaditos del bahia" (small fish of the bay)

there have, in the last few years been adverts on tv, and in newspapers, that are trying to put the message across, that its not such a good idea to eat tiny fish, but the trouble is they taste so good!!!!

me....i even eat sea urchins!!!

cheers dave :)

Leon.

Thanks for posting this issue, it’s just confirmation of what the British commercial sector has said is blatantly been happening for years.

Winter.

Your hypothesis on blinders is a logical one. I am not sure how you would put it into practice though? I.e. where would you get the blinder?

Big cod.

Quote “funny thing blinders when you chuck a sack in the cod end”

You chuck a sack in the cod end of a beam trawl and you can kiss it goodbye after about 20 minutes towing.

You have obviously never made a trawl, worked a trawl or know anything regarding the workings of a trawl.

I believe you said before that commercials put tyres in the cod end for use as blinders?

The only thing that you want going in the cod end is fish, something that is buoyant and not stop you fishing.

I wonder if all the fish north of the boarder that has been caught the last few months has had anything to do with blinders. I can assure you big cod that when your taking 200 300 boxes a haul the last thing that you want is heaps of small fish to dump back over the side.

Your stance on blinders is a strange one? In fact your stance on your local commercial industry is strange. I have asked you before why and you declined to answer. I respect your prerogative on that.

John and Michele

There certainly is a problem with the market place as you said.

British fishermen have been crippled by sticking to rules that other states have been continually braking for years.

It looks at long last that the European commission is taking a hard stance on these serial offenders.

The massive fines that the French had imposed on them last year for flouting the law for the last 20 years was the righting on the wall.

We all know that the practice of offering undersize fish for sale (like the French have been doing blatantly for years) and the effective action by the national authorities are such as to prejudice seriously the community’s objectives of conserving and managing fishery resources.

Binitone [some stuff edited] you might kid people on this forum that blinders are just a fairy tale who have had no insight into trawling, its common knowledge that chuck a sack into the codend of a normal trawl and small fish build up around the sack or blinder then more and more build up (who said anything about a beam trawler) there you go again off a tangents blinders were regulary sown in not so much nowadays because the navy arent to far away [Edited - keep personal insults off this forum. John S] its the famous word bulk whats killed the fishing industry of the northeast coast and blinders played a big part in it but did joe public know about this practice did he hell to be honest if joe public really knew what really went on at sea they would hound you off this forum for sure they are the facts my friend.

Edited by John S

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest @Winter@

Thats poor John.

You remove big cods comments and then leave stuff like this on the forum and much more besides. Im starting to think your quite happy to have Binatone dish out personnal abuse at every opportunity but when someone fires back it's removed immediately. Why is that ?

This was the last personnal insult you missed. Is it because he dresses it up and makes it look like a joke? Well it isnt.

You’re just too much for me winter and big cod. Your English is so deliciously complex that I bow to it’s every syllable. (Unlike my undisciplined language). As I can see from the comments and your correspondence to one another you just leave me in the verbal wilderness. Your seemingly effortless ability to fuse and distort words to all your literal purposes leaves me breathless.

Your ability to give old words new meaning is an art in it’s self.

I can fight you no longer on the battleground of literacy. I succumb to you and your smileys. Please accept my surrender with not a word, not another smiley please