Rex tells the kids about fishing & conservation

Guest @Winter@

This is an interesting point and one I have been meaning to raise recently because of an incident on my last outing at South Gare. There I was happily watching the rod tip and chilling out when a bunch of youths decended with their broken rods and sqeaky mangles, no bait, not a weight amongst them and proceeded to cast over everyone with loud whoops and language that would shock a matelot. :angry:

After a while they proceeded to cadge everything that we dedicated anglers had either paid good money for or laboured hard to make or gather. Everyone started mumbling and groaning but it made me think....Whoes job is it to educate these kids who plainly didnt have a clue as to technique or etiquette????

I have no doubt that if they were lucky enough to catch the minutest fish it would have been taken and left to gasp its last in the bottom of a carrier bag.

I was lucky. I had good training and advise from experienced anglers when I started and got a clip round the ear if I happened to break the unwritten laws of etiquette but someone has to look beyond the hooligan image and try to educate...who's job is it??

This is an interesting point and one I have been meaning to raise recently because of an incident on my last outing at South Gare. There I was happily watching the rod tip and chilling out when a bunch of youths decended with their broken rods and sqeaky mangles, no bait, not a weight amongst them and proceeded to cast over everyone with loud whoops and language that would shock a matelot. :angry:

After a while they proceeded to cadge everything that we dedicated anglers had either paid good money for or laboured hard to make or gather. Everyone started mumbling and groaning but it made me think....Whoes job is it to educate these kids who plainly didnt have a clue as to technique or etiquette????

I have no doubt that if they were lucky enough to catch the minutest fish it would have been taken and left to gasp its last in the bottom of a carrier bag.

I was lucky. I had good training and advise from experienced anglers when I started and got a clip round the ear if I happened to break the unwritten laws of etiquette but someone has to look beyond the hooligan image and try to educate...who's job is it??

Chesters1 ?

Guest @Winter@

Great point zippo,

On a light hearted note you were starting at the deep end with the south gare kids, if you didnt give them the gear they would have took it anyways and your car <_<:)

:clap: LOL, I think your right there. It puts a whole new definition on the term "rough ground fishing". For you southern softies who dont know (ok,I know I'm still down here but wont be on the 24th of this month, so dont start!!!" the south gare is the breakwater guarding the mouth of the river Tees and a well known trouble spot for car break ins, hoodies etc.

as an interesting aside, has the layout changed a lot down there? when i went last I copped a wave right down my thermals in the first 5 mins and that was low tide with not much sea on. and later it was a game of roulette getting back from the river side back round the front. i dont remember it being so violent before but then in my heyday there was still that flat rock you could stand on on the riverside corner.

back to my point about education. I was tempted to ignore the kids and join in the general grumbling but eventually had the thought I put forward and gave them a trace and a weight and showed them some basic casting techniques. OK they lost the lot in 5 mins flat but what would anyone else have done??

Rex tells them from a young age how important conservation is.

http://www.rexhunt.com.au/pages/kidscorner

Yes, it's a shame that we don't have anyone like Rex over here. I can't think of one single angler who is lucky enough to earn money from fishing in front of a camera, who has said one word about conservation.

Shame.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Guest @Winter@

Big shame Steve. I get the feeling Henry Gilby would be the easieast to turn around. Seems somehow more normal than the rest of the bunch.

Hi zippo,

Ive never fished on there m8 since I was about 8 and my dad took me there in the middle of summer, think we caught a dogger crab, I get a few worms from there from time to time but rarely get up that way these days. I understand it is a dnagerous venue especially when rough and I think within the last couple of years there has been lives lost there with people getting washed in. Must be better/safer venues about m8 for both you and your car.

Big shame Steve. I get the feeling Henry Gilby would be the easieast to turn around. Seems somehow more normal than the rest of the bunch.

I don't know mate, they all seem reluctant to pick the subject up and run with it. It's almost like they see it as a tabboo subject that mustn't be mentioned. I wouldn't expect them to make a big issue out of it, Rex Hunt doesn't. He just makes eveyone aware of the issue by dropping in the odd comment here and there. I also like the way that Rex promotes the protected fisheries they have over there.

I think it's about time we caught up with Australia and America with regard to promoting good angling practices and conservation.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Yes, it's a shame that we don't have anyone like Rex over here. I can't think of one single angler who is lucky enough to earn money from fishing in front of a camera, who has said one word about conservation.

Shame.

Paul Young,

May not be the most carismatic Tv personality But have heard him Extol yhe virtues of catch and release on occaision.

And Henry Gilby For that Matter.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Yes, it's a shame that we don't have anyone like Rex over here. I can't think of one single angler who is lucky enough to earn money from fishing in front of a camera, who has said one word about conservation

Our Henry leads the field, never see him keeping fish, though you never see him kissing one :D:D

No one on telly does anything much for kids on the sea angling front.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist