Disgusted!

Sharkbyte

......... and if they don't take them, the French will ......... or somebody else.......

Keep at the conservation though, so long as you can communicate with people then you will get results. I for one, should I ever get a decent bass will now take a different view to that I might have done a while back. Why? Listening to the conservation lobby such as many of you.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bass of that emense size are really past their sell by date when it comes to being eaten, and most decent bas anglers know this. If I wish to take a bass for the pot I really want one between 2.5lb and 4.5lb they tast a lot better! I meen its the same with women I dont really fancie a old tough 85 year old !lol

Thanks for you input, and your sexual preferences are of no interest to me either

Knight

Be good if we can get some joined up effort between the islands on the Bass conservation front.

There should be increasing numbers of Bass around, but this is a sure fire way of only leaving the school bass.

B.A.S.S. member

It sounds like the goldrush all over again. People will never learn.

This year I was planning to spend a week in Guernsey bass fishing. I figured that if that's where the best bass fishing is to be had, that's where I would go. I was going to take my family with me and make it a joint fishing/family break. After reading how shortsighted some people over there are, I'm going to spend my money elsewhere. I know I'm only one person, and they certainly won't miss me or my money, but if everyone took the same stance they might sit up and take notice.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

It sounds like the goldrush all over again. People will never learn.

Hello Steve

Then the only person to loose out would be you.

I am sure there are loads of other places around the island were there are bass to be caught.

Chances are there will be less effort on those other areas.

This one hot spot is one very small area, I expect the catches are being exaggerated, they usually are.

As for the fishery it's self, the commercial rod and liners are not doing anything illegal, they are not catching loads of just in or just under size bass, most are probably over 45 cm, which is what you campaigned for.

No doubt the local economy is having a bit of a boost, that’s fishing, it's obviously not going to keep it up, but while the conditions are favouring bass hopefully it will settle down to a good steady fishery.

I know most anglers condemn the carnage as you call it, but how many would if given the chance, jack in their boring office job or slopping around on a wet cold building site and be out there earning £200 a day catching bass on a rod and line?

As for the anglers fishing there, other than a bit of fish going through the back door I expect, they also are not doing anything illegal, catch and release is carried out by the minority of anglers, that minority is with education growing but it is still down to personal preference, unless you done a uniform, jackboots, grow a little moustache and send in the storm troopers you can't change it over night.

I fish to live and live to fish.

This is the deal - The mark is being regularly fished by up to 25 commercial boats ranging from 20ft single handed potters to 38ft interceptors. Of these, 4 are charterboats:- 3 from Guernsey and 1 from Jersey. As the charterboats over here can't survive on chartering alone they are commercially licensed and normally do gillnetting, longlining or scallop diving in winter. As the mark is difficult to fish you'll only see 1 or 2 unlicensed boats there of a weekend, and they'll be different ones each time (so no unlicensed boats cashing in really). The commercial boats will freely allow anyone who asks to 'fish for the boat', and will only normally have up to 4 rods on board. The charterboats will not allow you to pay for a charter and put the fish back, they can make lots more by you fishing for the boat. 'Spike Islander' has come over a couple of times this year and last, and this winter one of the Weymouth commercial bass boats has been here for a month or so.

Most of the other boats are potters, the rest gillnet or longline for bass, red mullet and rays at this time of year. so the usual marks are getting abit of a rest, but it's mostly from potting.

55 tons were taken in spring 2004 when the mark was only fished for 2 months, and by fewer boats. Last winter it was fished for 4 months by more boats, the stats are not available yet. This winter fishing started a week or 2 earlier than last year, and is ongoing.

Guernsey Sea Fisheries has implemented a tagging program to investigate the sustainability of the fishery. They intend to tag 500 bass, and up to a week ago they'd manged 250-odd I think due to poor weather. Even paying the commercial boats £15 per fish to tag them they won't allow tagging of too many of the better fish as they're losing money.

The mark is unfishable with any method other than rod & line, however the Guernsey pair team has allegedly landed 17 tonnes from the vicinity last week. In 2004 the pair team landed about 32 tonnes during the winter, so the rod&line fishery produced better. Although the pair teams get big hits they don't do it every week, let alone month.

Guernsey has always had a winter gillnet fishery persecuted by a handful of boats, however this is something else, much much bigger than anything done before. Imagine a good wrecking trip where the boat returns with 12 boxes of fish. Now imagine that they were caught by 4 guys. Now imagine they're all bass bigger than 5lb. This is what it's like regularly. Best I have heard of is 33 boxes between 4 rods.

That is the situation we are dealing with here. If you want the names of the charterboats and skippers, then PM me, I'm not going to try to upset them on here. Anyone with half a brain can find out who they are easily anyway.

regards,

Toe.

Edited by Toerag

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Hello Peter

Yes, I know I would be the one to lose out initially. But you have to do what you believe in and not just go with the flow. I know that certain people from Guernsey have been lobbying their authorities to try to protect their bass, and to make the most of them through extra tourism, etc. If the Guernsey authorities are too short sighted to see that a great opportunity is being squandered, they will be the long term losers.

If I did go over there I wouldn't take part in that fishery anyway, that would make me part of the problem. I can't believe that there are anglers who are not only happy to take part in commercial bass slaughter, but also to pose for pictures with their quarry for the magazines. I wonder if the magazines publishing the pictures know that they are of commercially caught bass?

Don't drink and drive.

Hello Steve

If the Guernsey authorities are too short sighted to see that a great opportunity is being squandered, they will be the long term losers.

So what do you suggest the Guernsey authorities do then?

I would like to see other posters ideas as well,

Say if you were in charge what fair and legal restrictions would you put in place.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Steve

If the Guernsey authorities are too short sighted to see that a great opportunity is being squandered, they will be the long term losers.

Say if you were in charge what fair and legal restrictions would you put in place.

A close season while the bass are shoaling up like that would be good.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello Steve

Hi wurzel, bass should be taken off the commercials list altogether along with other species like mullet and smoothound, they should be given a sport fish only status with the apropriate bag limit as has been suggested many times before, commercials like yourself should be left with fish like cod sole and whiting etc to earn a living from and if you could not achieve this? (then using some of your own words) you are crap at your job and you should jack it in and find something you are good at ............

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly