I was Once a Crew on a Commercial fishing Boat

sam-cox

As most of you guys on here know I am in a fairly unique situation, my farther was a charter skipper who has been campaigning against the over fishing of bass for thirty years. On the flip side of that when I left school I worked as a crew on a commercial fishing boat for two seasons, then did anouther two complete seasons from 1994 and half a seasom in 1996 and half a season in 2000.

When I left school it was winter herring fishing mostly offshore, then as spring aproached it was inshore tremmel neting for, codling, soles, thornbacks and odd early bass. This fishing was fairly distructive asASMASHED OUT THE NET WITH AN MALLET.

In 1994 all the work was offshore on the Kentish Knock drift neting for bass, most of these fish were 36cm to 45cm with the odd larger fish and no undersized fish. We averaged 45 stone per day for 3 months with 65 stone being the best trip I was on.

uP UNTIL 1999 I would sell my rod caught catches of bass and thornbacks around the rastrants and houses locally to earn extra cash, since then I have learnt that this under cuts the local commercials and forces them to sell more fish at a cheaper price.

In 1996 all the work was inshore drift netting for bass and mullet with a few thornbacks and soles as a buy catch. To me this also was distructive as at times we got lots of crabs, alis shad , the odd flounder and lots of bass.

I once caught 17 stone of thornbacks from up an inshore creek at dawn in two foot of water, these fish would of substained a charter boat for two or three trips!

\I once caught 25 stone of large mullet from the same creek, these fish were mosty large fish that would of been at least 10 years old and good breeding stock!

These inshore fisheries to my mind now need protecting as they are very foundation of the marine eco system, if we look after the foundations then both commercial fisherman and recreational anglers would benifit.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These inshore fisheries to my mind now need protecting as they are very foundation of the marine eco system, if we look after the foundations then both commercial fisherman and recreational anglers would benifit.

Absolutely right Sam

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

Hi Sam,

We all set sail in life on different courses and none of it is plain sailing.

You were doing what was right for you at the time and you should not have any regrets.

As we sail on we all learn different things and change course many times, I was a total waste of space in my twenties, surfing, fishing and generally enjoying myself working only to meet my needs.

Then I met Debbie and life changed, do I regret my earlier binge NOT ONE REGRET :D:D

Had a bloody marvelous time and learnt a lot of things I never would have if I had been grinding away at work. Met lots of interesting people, not famous but very interesting.

This period set me up for life ahead and that is exactly what your earlier life has done.

Keep on fishing Sam and enjoy life :D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Hi Sam,

We all set sail in life on different courses and none of it is plain sailing.

You were doing what was right for you at the time and you should not have any regrets.

As we sail on we all learn different things and change course many times, I was a total waste of space in my twenties, surfing, fishing and generally enjoying myself working only to meet my needs.

Then I met Debbie and life changed, do I regret my earlier binge NOT ONE REGRET :D:D

Had a bloody marvelous time and learnt a lot of things I never would have if I had been grinding away at work. Met lots of interesting people, not famous but very interesting.

This period set me up for life ahead and that is exactly what your earlier life has done.

Keep on fishing Sam and enjoy life :D:D

Now don't take this the wrong way, but isn't that what the guys around Guernsey catching bass are doing? Setting sail on a different course. Maybe in years to come they will have simillar views to Sam. The thing is, we have all taken the odd fish that we maybe shouldn't have, but we live and learn, just like Sam and his "25 stone of good breeding stock mullet".

I don't think we will ever totally educate everyone fully about the importance of conservation, especially those who want to make a few quid at catching fish.

A friend of mine who was commercial fishing for many years was also a keen angler he would go to sea with 6 to 8 lines early morning come back stand in the warehouse and then bait a line of approx 200 hooks home for tea then out to fish the match on the night in the angling club .

i think jb will know just who i am talking about, I can remember been on the beach fishing with him many years ago we sometimes would catch the odd undersized codling he would take great care in returning them he was always conservation minded he said every undersized codling returned would some day with a bit of luck would grow to box lenth to catch another day made good sense to me.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Full Edit

Quick Edit

wurzel Today, 05:18 PM Post #7

Group: Members

Member No.: 6,262

I bet if Sam had earn't an average wage of say £400 per week every year, he would still be doing it.

--------------------

I fish to live and live to fish.

Now days I would want a grand a week to do that sort of work! especialy the herring fishing!

Although I dont think its a good plan to target fish in the up river creeks anymopre.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

hello Sam

Now days I would want a grand a week to do that sort of work!

It can be done some weeks, not on herring though.

Although I dont think its a good plan to target fish in the up river creeks anymopre.

Na! nor me, not enough money in it.

I fish to live and live to fish.