I was Once a Crew on a Commercial fishing Boat

sam-cox

I left school at 17 had a brief job at an aquatic live food farm then worked for Nick, most weeks I earnt 500 quid, this was all herring drifting and ruddy hard ruddy cold work. The blackwater is now ment to have a substainable herring fishery acording to DEFRA, But there isnt one boat to my knollege that earns its winter money on herring. Its all gone to pot!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most weeks I earnt 500 quid, this was all herring drifting

Must have been top boat then.

The blackwater is now ment to have a substainable herring fishery acording to DEFRA, But there isnt one boat to my knollege that earns its winter money on herring. Its all gone to pot!

Just goes to show, fishing effort has very little effect.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Now don't take this the wrong way, but isn't that what the guys around Guernsey catching bass are doing? Setting sail on a different course. Maybe in years to come they will have simillar views to Sam. The thing is, we have all taken the odd fish that we maybe shouldn't have, but we live and learn, just like Sam and his "25 stone of good breeding stock mullet".

I don't think we will ever totally educate everyone fully about the importance of conservation, especially those who want to make a few quid at catching fish.

No offence taken DoubleShotDamo, I was basicly saying the same as you, learn from life.

What Sam did then is the making of him today, if he hadn't been a commercial fisherman he may not have turned into a conservationist today. This being so he should not look back and have regrets, look forward and use what life has taught him to date.

Sam comes up with some good post which can only get better with time.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Here you go, Sam, just in case you're tempted again by the dark side....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Commercial-Fishing-B...1QQcmdZViewItem

:D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

most weeks I earnt 500 quid, this was all herring drifting

Must have been top boat then.

The blackwater is now ment to have a substainable herring fishery acording to DEFRA, But there isnt one boat to my knollege that earns its winter money on herring. Its all gone to pot!

Just goes to show, fishing effort has very little effect.

We was working six days per week, whether permiting, getting about 3 quid per stone and averaging about 150 stone of herring per day.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

My naughbor is a commercial fisherman, who is a fill in skipper for John Rawle.

At present a lot of his gill nets are in his back garden fishing for hedge hogs!!!

I havnt seen any caught in them yet, but it will not be long, a slow cold painfull death.

All that and I think they only fetch 5 quid per stone at market!lol

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

My naughbor is a commercial fisherman, who is a fill in skipper for John Rawle.

At present a lot of his gill nets are in his back garden fishing for hedge hogs!!!

I havnt seen any caught in them yet, but it will not be long, a slow cold painfull death.

All that and I think they only fetch 5 quid per stone at market!lol

But it's the chance of a scabby cat that keeps him going Sam.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello Mat welcom to the loony bin, I understand your on mod control wich is frustrating!

Just give it a few days and Im sure Elton will take you off!

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.