Fishing spots - boaters v anglers

The Flying Tench

I went to the Thames today, but both the swims I had hoped to fish were moored against by boats. No big problem, I'm sure it happens all the time. Though it was different on the Kennet and Avon canal where I lived till recently. There, there were certain bits where boats moored, and you didn't expect to fish there, particularly in summer. But I have the impression it's different on the Thames - boats can moor where they like and bang in their own mooring pegs.

My question is this. Who creates the clear bits of bank that appeal to boaters and anglers alike? Sometimes, I'm sure, they're natural. Sometimes it's done by anglers. Do boaters also do this, or are they using 'our swims'?

john clarke

It's going to have been the landowners decision to allow access to both parties. It's probably irrelevant who has mown the grass and I'd look at it on a first come first serve basis. Luckily the Thames is a big old place with room for boaters and fishermen ay :boat::fishing1:

"the countryside must be experienced in its worst weather to appreciate the shades of its beauty"

It's always like that in the warmer months at the Thames TFT. I always take the view that boats take priority and we work around them. We had the same situation you describe recently, where a boat had moored in the exact spot we wanted to fish, it can be frustrating but that's just how the Thames is in summer. On one particular stretch I don't even bother any more, so many cruisers, narrowboats, canoes, kayaks, even swimmers!

In the next few weeks you'll see them drop away to the point where the rivers return to us again, which happens to coincide with the best fishing anyway :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If the boats are there already then it's just bad luck John but I have been in situations where I'm angling on a recognised mooring point and a boat has arrived clearly wanting me to move. I generally don't move unless I was getting towards the end of a session anyway and I've been pleasantly surprised by most boaters reactions, they have tended to carry on and look for somewhere else.

A lot depends on the circumstances/location at the time, if I'm established in a swim and doing well then I'll be stubborn but if it's no hardship to me and there aren't any obvious alternatives for the boat then I'll give way.

Unlike Anderoo I don't give the boaters automatic priority.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

and the boaters have to pay for the privilege to be on the river as well, the balance has turned to those who pay the most. :boat::lol:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

In practical terms I agree with what everyone is saying about live and let live, but it's hepful to be clear on the formal position. CT makes the point that it is up to the landowners whether they allow anglers or boaters on their land. In the case of anglers, hopefully we only fish if that right has been given (usually via a club). In the case of boaters, do they even know on which stretches the owners allow mooring?

john clarke

In practical terms I agree with what everyone is saying about live and let live, but it's hepful to be clear on the formal position. CT makes the point that it is up to the landowners whether they allow anglers or boaters on their land. In the case of anglers, hopefully we only fish if that right has been given (usually via a club). In the case of boaters, do they even know on which stretches the owners allow mooring?

Most of the legit ones do John but some of the I aint buying a licence liveaboard ones choose to moor wherever they want in the same way some fishermen decide the no fishing signage does not include them I guess .....good and bad in all

My understanding is anywhere that is Thames path is mooring unless landowners say not and on the canals anywhere on the towpath side regardless of what NAA try to make out on the run up to bulls lock .

Hopefully the Thames is big enough to find other spots either to moor or fish ,hope you are getting amongst a few ....a fella I know had a 2.02 Roach out of the lower Thames yesterday picture is on the TAC forum if you want a look.....may well be some on your new local bit atb Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Most of the legit ones do John but some of the I aint buying a licence liveaboard ones choose to moor wherever they want in the same way some fishermen decide the no fishing signage does not include them I guess .....good and bad in all

My understanding is anywhere that is Thames path is mooring unless landowners say not and on the canals anywhere on the towpath side regardless of what NAA try to make out on the run up to bulls lock .

Hopefully the Thames is big enough to find other spots either to moor or fish ,hope you are getting amongst a few ....a fella I know had a 2.02 Roach out of the lower Thames yesterday picture is on the TAC forum if you want a look.....may well be some on your new local bit atb Steve

Thanks for that clarification, Steve.

And that's a great roach, as you say. Though I ought to warn you there's a guy on there trying to imitate you with a big perch. Very nice also!

It's a bit slow on the Thames for me. Partly cos I still fish the Kennet when I visit a relative near Newbury, so I've only fished the Thames a few times - and I'm just getting to know the waters and learning very slowly how to fish them. But a big roach would be the ultimate prize, so it's good to hear when it happens!

john clarke

John good luck in your quest Matt Symonds had some decent ones out of the Thames the other evening no monsters but all around 8 to 10 0z along with some decent Bream ,she is a daunting river size wise compared to the kennet but the fish are in there and good ones to

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

The bream are kind enough on the Thames, I'm generally after the carp and barbel although when it's slow going (often, for me) a 5/6/7lber is more then welcome. At least one seems to appear like clockwork about half an hour before sunset.

Edited by Christian T

"the countryside must be experienced in its worst weather to appreciate the shades of its beauty"