Richard Seager/ Sea Angler Magazine

sam-cox

I now a few are not going to like this but..

The fish were caught using legal angling methods were they not?

Do we now ban pictures every fish that are caught from a charter boat that also has a commercial licence??

The fact that they were sold or not sold is irrelevant, they were still caught on Rod and line and therefore have every right to have their pictures published in a Sea Angling magazine.

If they had been caught on long lines or by trawlers then that would have been a different kettle of fish so to speak.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I heard, gill netting and pair trawling were still legal methods too.

If they were caught to be sold, they were commercially caught fish caught by commercial fishermen and therefore have no place in an angling magazine as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, we don't know if those particular fish were sold at the market.

Commercial rod and line bass fishermen have always caught good bass, some that may even have broken the rod and line caught record, but they never thought to send the pictures up to the magazines. Funny that.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

If they were caught to be sold, they were commercially caught fish. If those that caught them gained financially from catching them, ie, not having to pay for the charter, then they were caught by commercial fishermen and therefore have no place in an angling magazine as far as I'm concerned.

Commercial rod and line bass fishermen have always caught good bass, some that may even have broken the rod and line caught record, but they never thought to send the pictures up to the magazines. Funny that.

I rememer fishing with Charter boats 20 years ago when it was common for the skipper to keep part/all the catch and you had to buy them back, so how do you disinguish between a fish that is caught on a cheap charter when you cant keep the fish and another where you pay the skipper more and keep the fish, the answer is you cant they are both the same. Its down to the total income of the shipper. So Im with you I think SA were right to feature the fish so long as the anglers were not commercially fishing with a rod and line, which while would be welcome is extremely unlikely! I also know a number of sport fisherman who have been on a Charter and sold their excess catch (to a chinese take away) to subsidise their sport. Life unfortunately isnt black and white!

Dan

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Maybe the mags need to be re-named recreational sea angler, or total recreational sea fishing, or recreational boat fishing monthly as suggested by Wurzel last week. You know, just to make things clear.

If they were fish and caught on a rod and line then I'm interested, lets not get the Angling fraternity going down the PC route!!

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Maybe the mags need to be re-named recreational sea angler, or total recreational sea fishing, or recreational boat fishing monthly as suggested by Wurzel last week. You know, just to make things clear.

Why not just start up a Bass angling monthly mag.. then you can control the content to your heart's content.. problem solved

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Why not just start up a Bass angling monthly mag.. then you can control the content to your heart's content.. problem solved

Rich coming from a man who whinged like hell because sea angler printed a picture of a skate that was gaffed by a method he didn't approve of.

If a charter skipper took parties out to catch common skate so that he could sell them at the fish market, and if the angling mags printed photos of common skate that had been caught, killed and sold on the market, that would be alright would it? Come on, give an honest answer. Would you have anything to say about it or not?

Don't drink and drive.

I agree with you Sam on the point if the fish were caught commercially... no matter what the method.... then they should not be in the magazines but I think there may be a catch here, that would affect all Anglers that use charter boat, if the fishes captor was an Angler on a charter boat then this is a commercial business therefore all fish on it are caught commercially, although not in the "normal" meaning of commercials but chartering is a business and this might be me seen as splitting hairs.

The other problem might be that the captor did not gain commercially from the sale of the fish that he caught not therefore his catch was a legitimate one.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Hi Davy,

have you ever sold fish caught on your boat for cash or favours?

The other problem might be that the captor did not gain commercially from the sale of the fish that he caught not therefore his catch was a legitimate one.

Thats not strictly true if the reports are correct. It has been said that the anglers did not have to pay their charter fees.

I agree with you Sam on the point if the fish were caught commercially... no matter what the method.... then they should not be in the magazines but I think there may be a catch here, that would affect all Anglers that use charter boat, if the fishes captor was an Angler on a charter boat then this is a commercial business therefore all fish on it are caught commercially, although not in the "normal" meaning of commercials but chartering is a business and this might be me seen as splitting hairs.

I see what you are getting at, however. A charter skipper, in the true sense of the word, isn't really a commercial fisherman. He doesn't have a licence to sell fish, and is not subject to the same regulations as licenced commercial fishermen. I think the skipper in question here has a commercial licence to sell fish, as well as his charter skippers ticket.

As I said before, we'll probably never know the truth about the fish caught in this example, but there are plenty of stories circulating about how the fishermen who fish on these boats don't pay for the charter, but fish for the boat instead, ie, give the fish they catch to the skipper so that he can sell them on the market. I still class this as commercial fishing.

It is an argument that we have come across more than once when people acuse anglers of taking undersize bass and selling them to chineese restuarants, etc. Our argument is alway that these people aren't anglers at all, but un-licenced commercial fishermen.

Don't drink and drive.