Mullet Season 2006

Matt Baldwin

With the weather now forecasted for warmer weather and spring here in the South, it shouldn't be too long until the grey ghosts are back.

Has anyone else started preparing for their 2006 season?

Tight Lines & best wishes for a productive and great 06' season.

Matt

Hia's All

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good luck,

how warm is it out there at the moment?

im just waiting for july-august for my mullet turn

out to Costa Rica for a month, plenty of species out there.

Hia's All

Matt

It will still be a couple of weeks. The sea temperature is still too cold.

Though I wonder if Mullet are like plants and trees and are affected by daylight hours? Some plants and many trees will still bud and come into leaf even though the temp may be low, because of the amount of light triger's their seasonal responce.

Andrew Boyd

Matt

It will still be a couple of weeks. The sea temperature is still too cold.

Though I wonder if Mullet are like plants and trees and are affected by daylight hours? Some plants and many trees will still bud and come into leaf even though the temp may be low, because of the amount of light triger's their seasonal responce.

I think you are correct. Many people believe sea temperature to be THE determining factor in fish migratory times. I believe it is daylight hours that is more the key. :sun:

Mullet tend to turn up early enough, it's just that they don't start feeding until the water is at least 10c (12-14C in my experience)

And even then they only feed for short periods until the water temperature comes up a bit more.

So you might hear of several people catching mullet on a particular day, but then a couple of weeks pass before another comes out.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I'm off to spain this evening, Benalmadena got the gear packed, plenty of mullet in the marina to keep me quiet for a day or two B)

hi manxman dont know if youll read this before you go, but you should know that fishing inside harbours is forbidden in spain, also a licence is required for sea angling.

please forgive me if you already know this, but a 300€ fine and the confiscation of your gear might put a damper on your holiday.

p.s you can fish quite legally on the seaward side, but still need a licence

best wishes dave. :)

With these ruddy easterlies I reckon it will be at least one month Mat!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!