September and a return to Deerdrink

Vagabond

Following my soaking last week and those two carp gate-crashing my roach session, I waited until the rain had gone through before a return visit.

Taking a lesson from last time (Roach, Rain and a couple of tails) I was careful not to mention my intended quarry, and even pretended to be after carp by putting a can of luncheon meat in my bag.

Here is the swim

post-812-0-23401500-1409676245_thumb.jpg

but I tackled it from the other side

post-812-0-39340000-1409676282_thumb.jpg

and here is a close-up of the snags.

post-812-0-79544700-1409676335_thumb.jpg

For a start, I fished for roach to one side of the snags, and soon got a shoal feeding. Nothing over half a pound, but heading for what might be called "a good match weight" Mostly on maggot, but I did chance my arm with a bit of luncheon meat to try to tempt a bigger fish, Honours even there, none of the better roach showing, but NO nuisance carp either.

Tactics were to fish on the edge of the loose feed with the larger bait to try for the more wily and bigger roach - no dice.

But.... there is another fish that often lurks on the edge of a feeding roach shoal, so I unleashed my Plan B, which was to fish the shoal edge closest to the snags.... and this was the result

post-812-0-20041500-1409676825_thumb.jpg

Rather an old fish, and not well recovered from spawning (hollow belly, washed out colour, fins a bit raggy, and a parasite on the pectoral fin) so I think this coming winter may be its last. Nevertheless, a reasonable start to the perch season.

Norma had been exploring the surrounding woods for autumn bird flocks and came back with a good list of the usual suspects - tree creeper, nuthatch, GS woodpecker and what we call "flying teaspoons" (have a guess) . She had also discovered a bush cricket, which was brought back for a photo - it also gave her finger a good bite by way of protest.

post-812-0-21614200-1409677349_thumb.jpg

Not spectacular, but a pleasant mornings fishing.

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The perch does look a bit sad ,might make it if the summers long and the winter short and theres plenty of grub

It reminds me of a gold fish we had ,it bloated up so much its scales poked out ,rather than kill it i gave it one more chance and put it in a small tank with a couple of tablespoons of magnesium sulphate in it .

Next morning there was a thin and tired goldfish and a foot of poop ,LOL

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Flying teaspoons = long-tailed tits?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The perch does look a bit sad ,might make it if the summers long and the winter short and theres plenty of grub

It reminds me of a gold fish we had ,it bloated up so much its scales poked out ,rather than kill it i gave it one more chance and put it in a small tank with a couple of tablespoons of magnesium sulphate in it .

Next morning there was a thin and tired goldfish and a foot of poop ,LOL

I'll take a tin bath and a packet of Epsom Salts with me next time :fishing:

RNLI Governor

Flying teaspoons = long-tailed tits?

Correct, and your bonus question is "What is a scobby?" :g:

RNLI Governor

I'll take a tin bath and a packet of Epsom Salts with me next time :fishing:

That perch was taking its medicine the day before by the looks of it

We dont get many birds in our garden teaspoons or not ,our bird feeders are still 90% full from last year ,all we get are magpies chewing the roof off the sheds ,green woodpeckers chewing the lawn and noisy jackdaws chewing the roof everything else becomes a puff of feathers and dinner for the brown whizzy bird

Strange little road full of birds either end but as ours is open to the fields only the foolhardy gather

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Correct, and your bonus question is "What is a scobby?" :g:

I haven't a Scooby unless it's a hobby.

Edit: or a Scop's Owl, or would that be a Scoppy?

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Could be a hobby with a speech deficiancy

our bird feeders are still 90% full from last year

If you want to see some birds then chuck it away and give them some fresh stuff, it'll be pretty rancid by now whatever it is.

If you really want to see birds on your feeders: 1 kg of peanuts whizzed up in a blender, add 500g of melted beef dripping and as many raisins as you can get into the mix and have it still hold together.