Beachcasting Tips

Scotty T

Morning all,

Being a keen beach fisherman I like to think a can lob a lead a fair distance, until that is when I saw a guy down Chesil recently pendulum casting, I thought the dude was going to hit the French coast!!! . I've seen articles in sea angler but a picture seqence dosn't explain properly how to achieve a good safe cast. Anyone got any tips, and how many of you can actully pendulum cast???

Cheers

Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next time your there and you see him just go and ask him. Dont think he would mind to show you then you can see how it is realy done like you say pictures are not the same as the real thing.Most anglers like to help one,another like here on Anglers net.

Well, I think I can hit probably 60-70 meters, but this guy was over 100 meters, hard to say exactly but some where around that mark.

For starters, don't get hung up about distance. I have been outfished by my brothers more than once who fished at perhaps 30-40 yards.

Second, Keith is absolutely right, if you see somebody: ask.

Third, I've found the picture sequences lacking, perhaps moreso now I know what I am supposed to be doing.

Lastly, some while back I invested in the Neil Mackellow casting video, and I reckon it paid for itself in the tackle and line I stopped losing due to my previously misguided attempts.

Can I prendulum cast? Well, it's a version of it, not too tiring, comfortable, safe and most importatntly, it works for me.

I reckon I'm getting about 150 yrds with 3 mackerell lures, just over 100 with bait, but I haven't measured any casts in a field for years.

All I can say is that I don't see anybody on Chesil casting any further than I am at the time.

I think I get furthest when casting off the ground, but with a breakaway lead, you risk pulling the wires back and with a pulley rig and impact leads, you have no option but to keep it off the ground.

[ 06. October 2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Sounds like good advice Norfolk Boy, at least I don't nest me multipliers anymore and I do catch fish. Maybe I should just be happy with that. Might have a look for a vid though, sounds like a good idea .

Cheers

Scotty

the real and line can also make a difference, a fixed spool will limit your distance, also how much line is on a fixed spool is important as too little causes friction even earlier in the cast than is going to happen anyway as the line starts going out.

also, thicker line, different riggs make significant difference, a single bait properly fastned upo behind the lead goes much further than three rag worms on paternosters.

But saying that, as mentioned above, distance isn't everything and a lob 30 - 40 yards out from a pier may still cast over many of the fish you may be targetting.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Guest jay_con

checkout neil mckellows website for casting info.

I just started with the pendelum, Its easyish to do a pendelum, conversley its bloody difficult to do a good one and get any distance from it. Ive been practicing for almost 8 weeks and can cast perhaps 10 yards further than my very first cast which was roughly 140 yards.

I here patience is a virtue.

Has anyone ever noticed that a pendulum is effectively the same as a backcast, but more comfortable?

What's a pendulum? Basically, imagine looking down on a right-handed caster from above and him being at the centre of a clockface with the sea at '6 o'clock'.

Step a)You stand facing 11 & swing the lead out towards 1 so that it ends up at nearly the same height as the rod tip....

B) ....then swing back to somewhere between 3&5 and high up....

C) ...then turn through 9 and towards 6 and release.

As the lead goes through step C it moves from being high up at 5 to just off the beach around 12, then up over your shoulder as per an overhead thump/off the ground. Hence the common complaint of 'hitting the ground' as it goes through 12.

In a nutshell, the pendulum is a way of starting an 'off the ground' with the rod already compressed, and removes the need for the rig & weight to be one the beach. ie. you can pendulum anywhere that there's room, rocks, empty piers, beaches etc.

When performing a backcast with the left hand up the rod, the rod tip & lead do pretty much the same as a pendulum above, the only difference being the body position and speed of the cast. It is harder to backcast as fast as a pendulum, but physically easier as you pull with your arms rather than push, so backcasters can use longer rods to get the same tip speed.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com