Are anglers doing enough

stavey

Are anglers doing enough?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Are anglers doing enough to help promote conservation?

• yes
    • no

Pretty straight forward question as to whether us anglers are doing enough to help ourselves and others like sacn/nfsa/bass etc, to promote and better our sport, or are we still to apathetic or just down right to lazy?

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do enough conservation in my own personal way, that satisfies me. I am not going to get on a soap box and fight my case for fish conservation though. If others want to press the case for more conservation that's down to them and I won't interfere with that. I expect them though to allow me to carry on angling in my own way, unhindered.

The biggest threat to fish conservation and all other types of conservation is people. There are just too many people in the world. If the worlds population was constant at 1 billion, you would not need fish, rain forest, or any other type of conservation. At the rate the worlds population is growing now, (It's unsustainable already), the last war will be fought by starving armies for the last fish in the sea. Until that's sorted, conservation is a bit like digging a hole in the sea.

You want to conserve fish? Don't have kids.

Edited by Stoaty

I do enough conservation in my own personal way, that satisfies me. I am not going to get on a soap box and fight my case for fish conservation though. If others want to press the case for more conservation that's down to them and I won't interfere with that. I expect them though to allow me to carry on angling in my own way, unhindered.

The biggest threat to fish conservation and all other types of conservation is people. There are just too many people in the world. If the worlds population was constant at 1 billion, you would not need fish, rain forest, or any other type of conservation. At the rate the worlds population is growing now, (It's unsustainable already), the last war will be fought by starving armies for the last fish in the sea. Until that's sorted, conservation is a bit like digging a hole in the sea.

You want to conserve fish? Don't have kids.

No sorry stoat i dont agree with you, the biggest threat to conservation is greed, waste, and selfishness etc..........

1) Match anglers. Chuck a load of fish in a bucket to die for the chance of winning a few quid. Some clubs are promoting catch and release, but many are not. From experience, many match anglers cannot be arsed to keep getting up of their backsides to take fish to the adjacent angler to verify, sign in etc. Answer: Need better attitude to fishing and not just think of their wallets.

2) Pleasure anglers (shore). Most just want a day/night fishing. If a fish of a reasonable size comes along, it is a bonus and may be kept for the pot. Small ones go back. Minority of idiots, many foreign, keep anything of any size and get agressive when challenged. Answer: Send them back!

3) Specimen Anglers (shore). Of the specimen anglers I know, all of them return their fish, even after many weeks of waiting for a good one. Answer: Have the correct attitude towards conservation.

4) Boat Anglers. From my experience, most anglers fishing deep water marks like wrecks, chuck all the fish in a box, mainly because the fish are f@cked by the time they reach the surface. Answer: Whats conservation?

Please note: This is from my own experience and does not apply to everyone, so please do not take offence. If it does apply to you, well......

1) Match anglers. Chuck a load of fish in a bucket to die for the chance of winning a few quid. Some clubs are promoting catch and release, but many are not. From experience, many match anglers cannot be arsed to keep getting up of their backsides to take fish to the adjacent angler to verify, sign in etc. Answer: Need better attitude to fishing and not just think of their wallets.

2) Pleasure anglers (shore). Most just want a day/night fishing. If a fish of a reasonable size comes along, it is a bonus and may be kept for the pot. Small ones go back. Minority of idiots, many foreign, keep anything of any size and get agressive when challenged. Answer: Send them back!

3) Specimen Anglers (shore). Of the specimen anglers I know, all of them return their fish, even after many weeks of waiting for a good one. Answer: Have the correct attitude towards conservation.

4) Boat Anglers. From my experience, most anglers fishing deep water marks like wrecks, chuck all the fish in a box, mainly because the fish are f@cked by the time they reach the surface. Answer: Whats conservation?

Please note: This is from my own experience and does not apply to everyone, so please do not take offence. If it does apply to you, well......

Sums it up quite nicely dammo :thumbs:

I honestly think some of you guys need to get real regarding the damage done with a rod and line its litterally 0.

Fisheries patrol boat talking to a dutchman last summer skipper, what herring have you got on board skipper, skipper replys 2000 ton , not bad for a days fishing.

Fishing news, some boats taking over 1000 ton of mackeral per day, not bad for a days fishing and that is only the tip of the iceberg, some of these boats are super trawlers they say there is no boats left nowadays now one of these vessels catching caperbility is probably equivalant to 50 or more smaller boats.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Im no 2 and no 4

Does that make me good or bad? Except Im not a foreign idiot just a uk idiot.....And I only go out boat fishing 2 or 3 times a year......and I did throw back the pout i caught off the boat :P Im afraid if I catch a cod thats legal size while boat fishing Im gonna keep it ....If i started to catch a lot of small cod/ling I think I would attempt putting them back as I get bored filleting them :P

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

I honestly think some of you guys need to get real regarding the damage done with a rod and its litterally 0.

Proof?

Anyway, it shows willing. Better to practice returning fish unharmed than dumping them on the beach.

As for wrecks, I can't believe that boat loads of anglers year in year out won't affect the number of fish living on it. It is a LOCAL niche, with different fish living together in a local area, not over miles of barren sea bed.