Are anglers doing enough

stavey

Are anglers doing enough?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Are anglers doing enough to help promote conservation?

• yes
    • no

I honestly think some of you guys need to get real regarding the damage done with a rod and line its litterally 0.

Hi bc, i kind of agree with you if your comparing rod verses net, but in certain areas i do believe that some wrecks can suffer stock depletion to the point where it can take a long time for the stock to replenish, if at all! even if it is only subjected to heavy rod and line fishing, and it does warrant looking into in when and if conservation measures were to be brought in, ie, ban all types of fishing commercial and recreational on a 3-4 yearly rotation period so they have time for the stock to mature and replenish type of thing, what do you think?????

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stavey you may have a point in some regards, but i find it hard to compair rod and line fishing to commercial fishing we are lucky up here to have plenty of very large reefs what run for miles as well as many wrecks .

The thing is fish dont stay on wrecks all the time when there is a lot of feed about sandeels ,sprats etc fish will often take off and swim away from wrecks i have known nobody to fish a wreck for months due to bad weather gone and fished it and there is nothing on it go back 2 weeks later and it stuffed ,fish move about they follow food cod ,ling they will even go midwater at times chasing sandeels.

But what really gripes me ANGLERS are not to blame for the present climate and that is fact when some proper sort of conservation measures are implemented then you could look at things in a different light in the real world nothing has changed for the last 25 years methods are just the same if i thought it would make a difference i would be the first to put my hand up.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Stavey you may have a point in some regards, but i find it hard to compair rod and line fishing to commercial fishing we are lucky up here to have plenty of very large reefs what run for miles as well as many wrecks .

The thing is fish dont stay on wrecks all the time when there is a lot of feed about sandeels ,sprats etc fish will often take off and swim away from wrecks i have known nobody to fish a wreck for months due to bad weather gone and fished it and there is nothing on it go back 2 weeks later and it stuffed ,fish move about they follow food cod ,ling they will even go midwater at times chasing sandeels.

But what really gripes me ANGLERS are not to blame for the present climate and that is fact when some proper sort of conservation measures are implemented then you could look at things in a different light in the real world nothing has changed for the last 25 years methods are just the same if i thought it would make a difference i would be the first to put my hand up.

I am not gonna argue with you bc, you are much more qualified than i about fish movement of the yorky coast than i, its a different ball game down here the wrecks are not worth fishing in this part of the channel anymore, as far as i can see and have not been so for a very long time now, and maybe if they had protection from all types of fishing it is to late and i doubt if you would see much of a recovery now the stocks have completely dissapeared? hey ho wont be long before the mullet are back up the rivers and i can go fishing :) i mean i aint been since last september cheers.......

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

I am not gonna argue with you bc, you are much more qualified than i about fish movement of the yorky coast than i, its a different ball game down here the wrecks are not worth fishing in this part of the channel anymore, as far as i can see and have not been so for a very long time now, and maybe if they had protection from all types of fishing it is to late and i doubt if you would see much of a recovery now the stocks have completely dissapeared? hey ho wont be long before the mullet are back up the rivers and i can go fishing :) i mean i aint been since last september cheers.......

Yeah, it's pretty grim, unless you go more than half way to France!

when some proper sort of conservation measures are implemented then you could look at things in a different light in the real world nothing has changed for the last 25 years methods are just the same

SO how many boats compared to 25 years ago work from Whitby?

How many from Peter Head ?

How about square mesh escape panels, 120 mm mesh, reg of fish merchants, more inspectors than there are fishermen,

Further south there are no large boats, one under 10 meter boat per 100 sq miles.

Don't you think thats enough ?

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest binatone

Hello big cod.

You say that nothing has changed in the last 25 years? What planet are you on?

How many boats are there today compared with 25 years ago? What quota do they now have to work to today compared with 25 years ago? Days at sea? What they can catch? What they cannot catch? I could go on and on but what’s the point? we’ve been here before time and time again the only thing that has not changed in 25 years big cod is your experience within the commercial fishing industry, your understanding of it and your refusal to blame nothing but the commercial fishing industry for the simple fact that you cannot catch the fish that you think that you should be catching.

How can you say that anglers have no effect on fish stocks when you cannot even give us on here any indication what you catch in a year?

We have been through all this before big cod and until you give us some figures on what anglers catch in your neck of the woods your comments to me have not only no justification but more importantly no meaning.

I asked JB what he caught last year and he had no problem in telling us how much quota he would have to purchase if he was doing it commercially.

If all you angling boats had to purchase the same amount of cod quota in a year then all I can say is the word insignificant does not come in to it.

By the way I see your old mate crocodile is up to his old tricks again on that other forum. Think it’s time I joined up and told them all a few home truths.

Guest muttley

No Stavey I dont think that anglers do enough for conservation. How long before people realise that todays lack of conservation is tomorrows lack of quality fishing......I fish for fun,not for the table and return 99% of all i catch (apart from about 3 skate last year for my mum)...YUK..couldnt think of anything worse to eat than fish. I'm much happier putting them back so hopefully my kids might have some to catch in 20 years time.

1) Match anglers. Chuck a load of fish in a bucket to die for the chance of winning a few quid. Some clubs are promoting catch and release, but many are not. From experience, many match anglers cannot be arsed to keep getting up of their backsides to take fish to the adjacent angler to verify, sign in etc. Answer: Need better attitude to fishing and not just think of their wallets.

2) Pleasure anglers (shore). Most just want a day/night fishing. If a fish of a reasonable size comes along, it is a bonus and may be kept for the pot. Small ones go back. Minority of idiots, many foreign, keep anything of any size and get agressive when challenged. Answer: Send them back!

3) Specimen Anglers (shore). Of the specimen anglers I know, all of them return their fish, even after many weeks of waiting for a good one. Answer: Have the correct attitude towards conservation.

4) Boat Anglers. From my experience, most anglers fishing deep water marks like wrecks, chuck all the fish in a box, mainly because the fish are f@cked by the time they reach the surface. Answer: Whats conservation?

Please note: This is from my own experience and does not apply to everyone, so please do not take offence. If it does apply to you, well......

HERE HERE

Hello big cod.

You say that nothing has changed in the last 25 years? What planet are you on?

How many boats are there today compared with 25 years ago? What quota do they now have to work to today compared with 25 years ago? Days at sea? What they can catch? What they cannot catch? I could go on and on but what’s the point? we’ve been here before time and time again the only thing that has not changed in 25 years big cod is your experience within the commercial fishing industry, your understanding of it and your refusal to blame nothing but the commercial fishing industry for the simple fact that you cannot catch the fish that you think that you should be catching.

How can you say that anglers have no effect on fish stocks when you cannot even give us on here any indication what you catch in a year?

We have been through all this before big cod and until you give us some figures on what anglers catch in your neck of the woods your comments to me have not only no justification but more importantly no meaning.

I asked JB what he caught last year and he had no problem in telling us how much quota he would have to purchase if he was doing it commercially.

If all you angling boats had to purchase the same amount of cod quota in a year then all I can say is the word insignificant does not come in to it.

By the way I see your old mate crocodile is up to his old tricks again on that other forum. Think it’s time I joined up and told them all a few home truths.

:yawn::yawn::yawn: